Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Anyone using a Hubodometer?

My wife and I were at the Region 2 WBCCI rally a couple weeks back near Ithaca, NY and started comparing notes with folks. We're new to the AS, and new to the WBCCI, so lots to learn...

Anyway - one of the other members mentioned that he had a hubodometer installed - like they do on tractor-trailers - to keep track of mileage for maintenance purposes, etc. Something like this.

Seemed like a pretty smart idea to me, rather than futzing around with odometer readings, and trip logs, since I'm not always methodical enough to write down readings consistently.

Has anyone else done this? Pros? Cons? Expensive?

Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
neat idea. I looked on eBay and even a digital one is pretty cheap for keeping a miles logged record.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have used a Stemco for over 175,000 miles. The only comments I would make are make sure you have the hole in your cap drilled on a lath to insure centering, you will need a spacer washer between the Stemco and the hub because of the indent in the hub, and consider a smaller version made by another manufacture because I have to unbolt mine every time I have tire work done. It will not fit through the wheel center hole while on the cap.

You have to spec the tire size you are using to have it calibrated correctly.

Don't ask me why because even the Stemco engineers don't know but they do not work in Pa. I travel 104 miles in Pa. and it records 74 miles. Been that way since day one and they replaced my first unit and then admitted that truckers complaint about the same problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Thanks HowieE!

Stemco seems to be the most common, from the little research I've done. I'll ask around to see if there are others with similar reliability/accuracy/durability. I take your point about finding one that's smaller than the wheel diameter. It would be a p.i.t.a. to have to dismount the odometer every time you take the wheel off. Although I hope not to have to do that _too_ often... :-)

We're only a few miles from Can Am. I will probably pay to have them install the odometer for me, as I don't have access to a lathe to centre the hole accurately.

Cheers!
Brawny
Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I forgot to mention the new Chinese hub are VERY thin and hard to chuck on the lath. I had to replace my hub because it had become frozen in the wheel and it was bent while removing it. I bought a hub on E Bay and it was to thin to be held in place on the lath.

I don't know what Airstream is using now but I would question it because they are know for using the cheapest available.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
our 2011 F-150 4WD Supercab with the complete factory HD towing package tracks the miles that our AS is (hitched up and) connected. seems to me that I can also ID more than one trailer to that system.

ymmv.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
. . .
Don't ask me why because even the Stemco engineers don't know but they do not work in Pa. I travel 104 miles in Pa. and it records 74 miles. Been that way since day one and they replaced my first unit and then admitted that truckers complaint about the same problem.
No speculation about this?

1. The Hubodometer only records miles on roads that meet at least minimum DOT Class XIV standard.
2. Potholes count as negative miles and are subtracted from the total miles.
3. Pa Turnpike - We charge you by the mile. But our miles are only 3700 feet.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
our 2011 F-150 4WD Supercab with the complete factory HD towing package tracks the miles that our AS is (hitched up and) connected. seems to me that I can also ID more than one trailer to that system.

ymmv.
I have a 2015 F-150 with the same set-up.
But really, who needs it?
Every vehicle has an odometer, and one can just record RV distance off of that.
So why bother with a wheel 'toy' like a Hubodometer?
K.I.S.S.!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I have a 2015 F-150 with the same set-up.
But really, who needs it?
Every vehicle has an odometer, and one can just record RV distance off of that.
So why bother with a wheel 'toy' like a Hubodometer?
K.I.S.S.!
I agree with the K.I.S.S. principle. Who wants to mess around keeping a log of mileage? Unless you never unhook, the odometer in the TV isn't very useful without recording daily trip mileage and tracking in a log somehow. That seems (to me) to be less simple than installing an odometer on the trailer, and reading mileage directly. Unless I'm missing something here...
Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this is my opinion and also meant to be sarcastic at the same time.

Putting a wheel odometer on my trailer would be like putting a counter on my toaster. Or putting an hour meter on my television. Or a tachometer on my blender. Maybe, [old saying] we should go to Pep Boys, buy and install, every accessory in stock.

If these things were really necessary they would come from the factory that way.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hey, waitaminit!

As an engineer, I love complicated solutions. If it's too simple, the solution doesn't need engineering, and that is an "officially bad thing" (tm) if you are an engineer.

So let's design a solar-powered GPS enabled box that mounts on the front of the Airstream that continuously integrates movement, tracks mileage, builds graphs and other complex data presentations, displays them using a built-in high resolution full color daylight visible projection display on a windshield-mounted reflective screen in the tow vehicle.

I will leave for the junior engineers the trivial task of managing power, and actively tracking the reflective screen without any wired or wireless connection. Optics only, to prevent ground loops outside the device.

Doesn't that sound like a much more elegant solution???

(Sarcasm mode off//)

I use a three-ring binder trip book that has lined paper in it for data, and print-outs of the campground reservations. The kid in the back seat pencil-whips the data. If I get real enthusiastic, I have her put it in a spreadsheet to do the computing. Haven't managed that level of enthusiasm yet, BTW.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

If these things were really necessary they would come from the factory that way.
Actually the factory only puts things on that people will buy in a quantity that they can make some profit.

If there was a known demand for a hubometer Airstream would offer it as an option.

Because face it there are things on an Airstream now that are not necessary.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I like the idea. I track our towing miles in a spreadsheet, along with other data.. I like to know what the miles we have covered.. I am sure that info will come in useful one day...
Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I use a dedicated Garmin and then record on a spreadsheet along with maintenance expenditures. Sort of helps me understand when things are about to fall apart. Jim