Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
ALUMINUM WHEEL PROBLEMS

KARM, yes same problem here with our 07 Classic. Ran some thin oil in that area between chrome cap & wheel after wash and wax polish - no more corrosion.

DEITZ645, it's generaly accepted that brake dust reacts with aluminum used in Harley solid and polished wheels. Our 2008 Fatboy wheels tarnish if not washed off regularly, polished with metal polish and then waxed. As far as I know Harley Davidson wheels are not clear coated. If they are, I have polished it off, they look a lot better for it and its easier to retain that shine.
I thinks this is what TKNELLE is saying.

John

Old 10-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Regular washing and waxing will stop it? I was at a rally last year and was talking to a guy who had a 2006 Safari who had never washed or waxed it and he said he never would. Not one trace of filiform corrosion anywhere. While regular washing/waxing might help it is no guarantee.
I agree that regular washing and waxing will not guarantee avoiding filiform, but it's better than doing nothing in my estimation. It's just preventative maintenance...particularly if you are in a climate where corrosion factors are higher.

It's just prudent to keep an eye out for it and act immediately if you see any signs of it... Not sure I get why someone would flat out say they will never wash or wax their AS, particulalry the later model ones....they don't oxidize the same as older models...besides, they look much better if they are kept reasonably clean.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Is there a polish / cleaner that would keep the clearcoat from peeling off? Thanks.
Nope.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Lets get real here. This is a material failure on the surface of the wheel under the clearcoat. No polishing, no oiling, or no amount of cleaning will stop or slow this.

If you feel the surface you will note that there is no tactile evidence of a surface failure thus it has to be under the clearcoat where surface applications will not counter.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Post #15 - it's been a few weeks since I looked at wheels on trailer and they now have corrosion under coating - damn it! After this winter, I will remove coating, clean up with metal polish and then wax. I do this on our Harley wheels about 4 or 5 times a year and they look great.

John Stephenson
Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Check out these products to help fight filiform corrosion:

CorrosionX Aviation CorrosionX Aviation

Boeshield T-9 Boeshield T-9®
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I took another look.

Hi, after reading all the posts concerning aluminum corrosion, I took another look at my trailer. My wheels are fine, my grab handle and taillight housings have areas that I accepted as sloppy assembly glue, but in fact is corrosion that was there the day I bought it new. It has not spread at all since, after four years. I did notice on one vertical seam located on the street side, front where the end cap and side are joined, three little spots. These may have been there and not noticed by me because it wasn't something I was looking for.

Now as for location, I live about eight miles from the ocean. My trailer is parked outside, always. As for maintainence, I do a good wash job before any trip or rally; In between that, my trailer get hosed off several times a year. My trailer has never been waxed or polished. I don't feel that I have a real corrosion problem. I have one possible theory why my trailer is doing so well. You know when you do a great job of waxing your car, how the water beads up from getting wet, like in the rain, or from your lawn sprinkler, or when you start to wash that waxed up car. Did you also notice that, on that waxed up car, if you don't dry it quickly, it will get water spots all over it? I think the wax job holds the moisture onto the surface much longer and possibly aids in the corrosion process. This is not scientific, but rather another possible cause.

The picture on the left was taken in our first campground on the day we first picked it up. The picture on the right was taken at our latest rally in October 2008. Click to enlarge pictures to see it is still as shiney as ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 105 (Large).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	70287   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Balloon Fiesta 230 (Large).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	70288  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"