Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
T&R
1 Rivet Member

Question alloy wheels

Hi,
our new A/S has alloy slot wheels (look like the old U.S. mags). I was wondering if they are the factory wheels or if someone put them on? They are in real good shape, they look almost new. If they are a factory item, I would like to know which wheels are better, the alloy or the steel I see on alot of trailers? Thanx,

Teresa & Rick
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
They are factory. Look at my pics and see mine on my 74. They are supposedly heavier rated (will support an E-rated tire) and are easier to balance.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
T&R
1 Rivet Member

Great! Like I said they are almost new looking, so I won't have to buy wheels. The tires are a different story. It is time to replace them. Next question. What brand and size tires? Is everyone going with replacement originals? or with up to date originals? Buy the way, thanks for helping us with our new baby. This isn't our first steps with RVing(about 15 yrs experience, motorhomes and TT's), but this is our first "REAL" TT.

Teresa & Rick
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
alloy wheels

Greetings Teresa and Rick!

There are many preferences regarding tires. When I chose tires for my coach, my travel pattern was very important in my decision. Since I travel great distances with my Airstream nearly every summer, having readily available dealer support for the tire chosen was critical. It was a rather easy choice since I usually run Good Year tires on all of my vehicles, the Good Year Marathon became a natural choice for both of my trailers. I haven't used anything other than Good Year ST trailer tires on any of my trailers since 1980; and have been quite pleased with all of them with the sole exception of those that came as factory equipment on my '80 Nomad - - Skyline had built the coach such that the tires were maxed out at the empty weight of the trailer so they had a VERY short and explosive life.

I am currently running P225/75 R 15 ST Load Range D tires on my '64 Overlander (6,000 pounds Maximum Gross Weight); and P225/75 R 15 ST Load Range C tires on my '78 Argosy Minuet (3,250 pounds Maximum Gross Weight).

I am convinced that one of the best indicators of where to purchase tires is the level of satisfaction that you have with tires that you use on your daily driver - - if you are confident in your dealer then consider the tires that he has to offer - - especially if much of your traveling will be within his service area.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote