Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
All metal valve stem TR542 for Alcoa rims 2001-06

I'm making this post mostly for somebody's future reference, maybe they will pick up this thread in a search, and maybe I can also get rid of some valve stems along the way

I recently had new tires put on my 2001 '34 Limited, it has slotted Alcoa forged aluminum 15"rims. I requested the tire dealer replace the rubber valve stems with some nice metal ones. To make a long story short, the dealer did'nt have any small enough to fit in the hole of the Alcoa rim. I went home and did my home work and found out that Airstream used these particular Alcoa rims on certain trailers from 2001-2006, the diameter of the valve stem hole is a small .375" hole (compared to the standard .453" hole in most rims) It is called a TR 542 stem. While this really should have been something I thought the "tire guy" should have known, he did'nt and I ended up ordering some from Myers Tire Supply in Akron,OH. (The company that Airstream recommended I purchase them from. The only problem was they had a minimum $25 order and while these little stems are of very high quality, they are actually really inexpensive for metal stems. (at least I thought they were pretty cheap!) I ended up having to buy 17 of them. So I have 11 available. I figured maybe someone on the Forums might be in the market and I could save someone some grief. $2.00 each, shipping included and I have a total of 11 available. Once again, they are made for the Alcoa forged aluminum rims with the small .375" stem opening found on 2001-2006 rims. Mail me at toddbecker1@gmail.com or 316-250-6371 My name is Todd.

I also have these listed in the classifieds, but figured I make a post here in case anyone is interested in maybe just having 1 or 2 as a spare. Certainly couldn't hurt...

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Todd,
I have a 2007 27FB Safari and I am looking to replace my stems. how would I know if my rims have the smaller hole? If I knew that they did, I would have interest in purchasing 4.

Thanks!
Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote