Old 07-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Alcoa valve stem?? Need help....

So I take my tires/rims in for much needed new tires. 2 hours later I get a call from the tire tech and he's confused as hell about the valve stems??? I requested they be replaced with metal stems. He telling me he's never seen anything like what is currently in my rim. Says the diameter of the existing stem is .375 and the standard is .453 says he's seen larger than standard, but never smaller! Now he's calling me asking tech questions. Says the current stem has some kind of o-ring sealing it in place and doesn't think it looks correct OR safe.
Of course, I know nothing about valve stems! ( for the time being anyways) got a voicemail into a tech line for Alcoa, but in the meantime, my fulltime trailer is being supported by jacks on one side, which is making me a bit nervous.
Anyone either know anything about this issue, or am I dealing with an incompetent tire tech??

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Which tire store is doing the work?

We usually go to Discount Tire, because of price, selection, etc. They sell so much volume that it seems like they always have an old-timer on-site that knows about trailer tires and wheels.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Local Goodyear dealer here in Wichita. I was a bit shocked to hear he had never seen a stem like the one in my tire. I headed back over to the tire shop and called an Alcoa distributor up in Kansas City when I had my rim in hand. After I read the rim part # and the stem part # to him, he was a bit shocked to hear the tech was unfamiliar with the stem, he told me it was probably the most common stem in trailer tires and recommended I leave with my tires and take my business elsewhere. Which I did.
The next dealer guaranteed me he had the correct stems, BUT upon arrival I watched them for about 15 mins try what looked like every stem in their inventory. I finally stepped in and told them that if they didn't have the correct stem it was OK, but I wasn't going to tolerate them "jury-rigging" the wrong stem in my rim. I left there also and returned home to start my own research. The second dealer called me about an hour later and told me he had talked with Alcoa and was having the correct stem sent to him. I continued my own research and found out some interesting info.
The Alcoa rims on our 2001 Limited were only used from 2001-06 and are Airstream p/n 400935
The stem( which is the only correct one that should be used! ) is p/n 08182w also known as a TR 542 series valve. And the stem is available also through Meyers Tire Supply under the TR 542 name, and is surprisingly inexpensive (but, they have a minimum $25 order, so I ordered 17 of them! )
So, when the tire dealer calls and says he has the correct stems I can hand him the REAL correct stems, and then finally get my tires complete.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote