Old 10-15-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Airstream Wheels

Anybody know where I can get my hands on some new Wheels for an RV or some decent looking Hubcaps for a '69 Overlander....

TIY

JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
When you say RV wheels, are you talking about for your Overlander? If you are.....

Gray steel 2600lb or greater trailer wheels are available from any tire shop in your town. Only use trailer wheels, accept no substitutes as there are none.

They are also available at Trailer repair & parts store, not talking about RV stores, but the suppliers that work on horse, commercial, flatbed trailers. Most have very reasonable pricing. Also will have all the running lights, bearings, hubs, brake assemblies that you could imagine.

We must have several dozen of these supply houses in the Houston area, which I would think would be typical for any metropolitan area.

Hubcaps = WalMart, Autozone.... 4 "flashy" plastic ones in a box for $15.00 and up. Really tacky...so that is what I used.

Baby moons are available from the same Trailer suppliers I mention above. Been several posts on the Forums with sources.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Hub Caps

NOS baby moons are often listed for auction on e-bay.

Watch the sizes carefully.

DMC
Old 01-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
I bought a set of plastic "flashy" ones for my Safari but took them back because they wouldn't stay on the wheels. On my wheels the rims sort of "taper in" where the hubcaps go on and the plastic lips on the hubcaps popped off very easily and were heck to get on at all. I am planning to try and find some older car type hubcaps made of stainless that will have the old metal "cleats" that will dig in and hold to the rim and see if they might stay on. My wheels also don't have a lip on them for baby moon type hubcaps.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I also need a spare rim, 6 hole, 15" for my Airstream. 1971 Overland International. I will try the trailer places.

I have Cadillac, chrome metal hubcaps with blue centers that match the blue exterior paint trim. They are the only ones with an extended center that misses the outer bearing cap. I have no idea how old. I went to a hub cap junk yard and tried caps until I found some that fit. I was missing one original cap.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream Wheels

Greetings davespann!

Another good source for new replacement steel wheels with the appropriate weight rating for your Airstream is through a tire dealer who sells trailer tires. I bought my new steel wheels from the same tire dealer who sold me my first set of new Good Year Marathons nearly eight years ago. The wheels were actually less costly than prices quoted for a replacement wheel for my Jeep Grand Wagoneer from an auto recycler about the same time.

I suspect that the Cadillac wheel covers that you found were likely for an Eldorado. The wheel covers for my '75 Eldorado are extra deep to allow for the unusual shape of the factory wheels, and I have a set that I purchased to use on my '64 Overlander until I am able to replace the Airstream wheel cover that the coach threw on the way home from the Region 4 Rally last Spring.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
hex

Exclamation

BobbyW says:

Quote:
"Gray steel 2600lb or greater trailer wheels are available from any tire shop in your town. Only use trailer wheels, accept no substitutes as there are none.

They are also available at Trailer repair & parts store, not talking about RV stores, but the suppliers that work on horse, commercial, flatbed trailers. Most have very reasonable pricing. Also will have all the running lights, bearings, hubs, brake assemblies that you could imagine. "
Old 02-02-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Your new home!

Hex,

Woodall's Forum needs your expertise.

We'll all miss you!

John
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
Replacement Alcoa Wheels

Does anyone know of a recycler where I can get an original Alcoa wheel for my 34' Limited (1986); I'd like to keep to the type on the trailer. Thanks, Ernie
Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Anybody know where I can get my hands on some new Wheels for an RV or some decent looking Hubcaps for a '69 Overlander....

TIY
I don't know where you are located, but I got a nice set of black wheels from Les Schwab that were perfect fits for my '64 Overlander. They had the 7.00 x 15" tires also.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

TIY
YES RED NECK TRAILER SUPPLY