I just purchased and brought home a 1963
Tradewind. I don't know anything about its history except that it was purchased by the PO at a farm auction. It has no title. The PO used it to take his family to the state fair where they entered their 4-H projects. It had been sitting for a number of years. Anyway, I ordered new 14" trailer tires, 6 lug, but when I got to Ohio to pick up the trailer, it had 8 lug, 15" tires and the tire dealer said it had a 7000 lb. axle! I have never heard of such on an AS trailer. Have any of you? It clearly has had some frame work/reinforcement in the rear -- a nice iron frame which measures about 2 feet high holds the spare tire. But there was no "frame off restoration" because a peek at the frame through some of the belly pan shows some heavy rust.
As for the AS, it towed really well with my 3.8 L V6 Town & Country Van with a 3,700 lb. towing capacity. I used a Reese wt. distributing hitch with anti-sway capability. We drove through parts of the Appalachian chain, keeping speeds between 40 and 60 mph. I have not completely investigated the AS yet, but it has had an interior rebuild including the following: a 1/2" OSB floor on top of the original floor, a double bed in the rear (lots of inaccessible space underneath), a side "water closet" opposed by a built-in dresser of sorts, typical kitchen and refrigerator compartment (stove and oven look barely used), and front dinette with a built in "sideboard" with some drawers for storage. The build ins are all 1/2 to 5/8" plywood frame with 1/4" plywood wallboard, which seems heavy to me. The wood is completely unfinished. I do not know if any of the electrical, plumbing or propane systems are working, and I cannot see the furnace at all. The exterior has 1 scrape, 1 puncture, and 1 small patch, so it's good.
So far, including the 1,100 mile round trip costs, meals, lodging, tires, tow bar, repacking bearings, etc., I have about $1750 tied up in the trailer, which is pretty good, compared to some of the prices I see for some of these trailers. Now I have to get down to the nitty gritty and find out what works and what doesn't. I'll get some pictures when I can.