Old 11-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
70 overlander rims and tires?

Newby here so take it easy on me. I'll try not to ask the obvious. So we're planning on heading out Friday to pick up our first AS-a 70 Overlander about 11 hours from home. It's in good shape and was used regularly by a family on weekends traveling. Tires are suppose to be fine but I'll know when I see them, especially being down South. It doesn't have a spare and I'm trying to put one together to bring with us. Is that a good idea? (i'm guessing it is) Does anyone know if this originally had split rims? I understand from other threads that the rims are likely 15" 6-lug, 5.5" bolt circle, zero offset and I also saw someone rating tires to 2600 or load D's. Can anyone tell me what tire sizes they have used on older AS trailers that work in terms of clearances? Also, any info on where and how to jack one up to change out the tires or remove them to upgrade the tires would be helpful. Bottle jacks rated correctly I assume? Jack stands rated the same? where to place them and how many? Just want to be prepared for the worst since we're driving back about 750 miles. Already have a break controller on my truck, load E tires on it and a sway bars that the previous owner is giving me. read the article on your first tow from Vintage AS web site-anything else I should bring besides tools. I'd like to spend one night camping in it to split the drive back. Power, hook ups..ect? Thanks-Ray

Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Ray welcome to the site.
Most of your questions are already discussed in this site. Also want to encourage you to read your owners manuel for jacking points, if it is long gone, there are many instructions under the search option...
Enjoy your A/S

howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thanks-I've been pouring throught he site for weeks in advance and it's been very helpful and a lot people have been really hellpful to offer advice and where to look and find things. I will definately read through the owners manual when I pick up the AS at some point. Since I'm heading down about 11-12 hours away this Friday I'm going to lose a little time between now and my work schedule to gather up what we need to safely get down there and drive it home successfully which is why I posted my questions. I need to locate the wheel or order it tomorrow IF I need the spare in order to have it by Thursday before I leave and I have a few other things to get in the next 4 days. I don't want to over think the situation but I also want to be safe, especially since the whole family is going down to pic it up and we plan to try to spend the night in it on the way back to split the drive in two days. Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
Newby here so take it easy on me. I'll try not to ask the obvious. So we're planning on heading out Friday to pick up our first AS-a 70 Overlander about 11 hours from home. It's in good shape and was used regularly by a family on weekends traveling. Tires are suppose to be fine but I'll know when I see them, especially being down South. It doesn't have a spare and I'm trying to put one together to bring with us. Is that a good idea? (i'm guessing it is) Does anyone know if this originally had split rims? I understand from other threads that the rims are likely 15" 6-lug, 5.5" bolt circle, zero offset and I also saw someone rating tires to 2600 or load D's. Can anyone tell me what tire sizes they have used on older AS trailers that work in terms of clearances? Also, any info on where and how to jack one up to change out the tires or remove them to upgrade the tires would be helpful. Bottle jacks rated correctly I assume? Jack stands rated the same? where to place them and how many? Just want to be prepared for the worst since we're driving back about 750 miles. Already have a break controller on my truck, load E tires on it and a sway bars that the previous owner is giving me. read the article on your first tow from Vintage AS web site-anything else I should bring besides tools. I'd like to spend one night camping in it to split the drive back. Power, hook ups..ect? Thanks-Ray
The proper radial size tire is ST 225 / 75 R15 load range D.

You should read the axle article that's in the Airstream Central portion of this Forums. Typically 40 year old torsion axles may have deteriorated reducing the clearance between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well. If they are bad, the 15 inch tires will still be ok, but the trailer may bottom out as you hit bumps.

Andy
Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Ray - welcome to another Ohio member.

I'd just run the wheels up on a couple pieces of 2 x 10 - one wheel at a time obviously - cut one section shorter than the other to ramp them and nail them together. That should get the other wheel off the ground high enough to remove it. Or find yourself one of these at a local trailer dealer or on Ebay - a lot safer than jacking in my opinion:

Trailer Aid Tire Ramp - Horsetopia Forum

Maybe try these folks for the wheel:

JTI Inc. - Parts and Service
Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thanks Gary! We're looking forward to having some fun with our new bullet! WE will definately be joining the NOVA group and inevitabley will have a lot of questions. My first question relating to support in the Cleveland area is where to get parts or even service for some things that we may not be able to take on ourselves at first-do you go to JTI for most things? I appreciate the links! I'm searching for storage at the moment.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Most of the parts I buy anymore are from the factory in Jackson Center. It's easier for me to sneek up there during the week if I'm out on the road in that direction. It saves the shipping charges also. Don't forget local suppliers for some items. Acryl-R seam sealer, and the applicator, for example I got from a local sealant supplier here in Columbus at much less cost. Other good suppliers include:

Out-of-Doors Mart

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

There are many more out there also. As for storage - check your local campgrounds to see what the rates are. We are in an older campground (nothing fancy but well maintained and managed) where we are paying about $150 a year more than storage would cost.

We would welcome you in NOVA. Let us know if you need any details.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
78 Argosy

Maybe Inland Andy will be able to answer this question. We are about 30 min. from Shaker Heights. We have a 1978 Argosy 6.7m Minuet. Will the spare from that interchange with the one needed for the 70 Overlander that these folks are going to get??
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thank you Gary for all of the leads on supplies. Lou and Larry-thank you too for the thoughts on the spare-we just found out that the Overlander has a factory spare mounted underneath which was apparently an option for them-so that's nice! Now I just need to find out what condition it's in-I need to fly down there.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
I forgot to ask-how did you all deal with insurance on these? Not so much the liability part since I know I've got that covered by my TV. Progressive came up in threads but they said they don't do state value coverages anymore.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I was unable to find stated value for a vintage unit - I'm sure someone does offer it. Ours is with State Farm. We gave the agent copies of the original sale receipt and all of the receipts for work done to date. I've kept, at their instruction, all of the major receipts since placing the coverage. Hopefully, that will help establish a value if the unthinkable would happen.... but, you never know. I also print an keep sales of similar units on Ebay for my records.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Maybe Inland Andy will be able to answer this question. We are about 30 min. from Shaker Heights. We have a 1978 Argosy 6.7m Minuet. Will the spare from that interchange with the one needed for the 70 Overlander that these folks are going to get??
If it has 6 holes, the answer is yes.

Andy