Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Roseville , California
66 Caravel & Ford Truck Rims

Hi All, new to the forum with a 66 Caravel we bought and are in the process of getting to a working condition (yes, I just put in a new Henschen axle).

I couldn't find an answer to this so I figured I'd start a new post. I took the two wheels off the trailer and the spare and sand blasted them and it turns out that all three are different. Since they are different I am now looking to get a set of 3 matching rims so I can have them powder coated or painted. I have access to some old Ford truck rims (non split type) that will fit the 5 lug bolt pattern but I have some concerns with the load rating. What did this trailer originally come with anyways? Has anyone done this, or should I just buy a new set of steel wheels somewhere? (Or does anyone have three they would like to get rid of in the Sac. area?)

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I did the exact same thing - new axle and rims - when I got my '66 Caravel 5 years ago. I went to a trailer supply store near me and ordered 3800# rated rims. The correct offset is critical for the Caravel wheel wells so you do not have tires rubbing the aluminum exterior when you hit something.

The real satisfaction is the knowledge that all the work you will put into the Caravel is not wasted trusting an unknown rim that you salvage. They were $35 each then but I'm sure they have gone up by now. They were stamped with the DOT certification on the rim.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would go with new rims that are properly rated just because the Caravel is a pretty valuable trailer, and it only has a single axle, so literally everything is riding on those two wheels.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
caravel rims

I would for sure get three new tires and rims so that you have a spare that you could trust.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Roseville , California
OK I'm sold, I'll buy new ones. What type of generic steel wheels are you guys getting? The ones I have on there are roughly square in the inside of the rim (hard to explain exactly); the rim is not perfectly concentric. I'd like to get rims that are close to the originals, anyone happen to have a pic they could share?

And also, when I go to the local tire shop what exactly are the specs I need to give them to find a rim? Ie: bolt pattern, offset...etc. Also, which tire size are you guys running?

(Sorry for all the questions!--I'm trying to get this ready for it's maiden voyage to tahoe for the 4th)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm waiting for some to come in at Vintage Trailer Supply.

14" Trailer Wheel

It's probably the one you need too.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Why do all that work and worry....Just buy some new wheels that are correct and safe. It will be cheaper too. #5 bucks apiece and get them in silver or black from the seller. I got mine from a commercial trailer shop (agricultural shop at that)....the other was a shop that used Southwest axle company.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
The original bolt pattern was 5 lug 5 inches on center from each lug OR "5 on 5" 14 inch rims with a zero offset. That means the center of the rim is aligned in the middle of the rim - no offset left or right. There are different load ratings for the rim - I went high in the spec and then looked at cost. Much higher in load ratings the more they cost, it must be more steel and harder to manufacture. The 3800# rating was a good load to cost ratio and above the original spec.

Bring one that you have and show it to the shop owner that you plan to buy from. They will know how to check them out for spec. When new they are very easy to paint any color you want with a can of spray paint.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel