Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
61 globetrotter 6 lug split rims

is there anyone who likes the purist originality of spit rims and original airstream baby moons? i do and realize the dangers. we have a set of those originals on our 61 globetrotter and want to keep it that way unless we can find another steel wheel that has the same look and feel of the originals. question being how do i measure lug pattern. they are 6 lug but do i measure from center to center and from lugs opposite each other or aside each other? we need the spare at least. anyone have a set of the gory story split rim 6 lugs they want to part with (in the SF bay area)?

thanks
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig
is there anyone who likes the purist originality of spit rims and original airstream baby moons? i do and realize the dangers. we have a set of those originals on our 61 globetrotter and want to keep it that way unless we can find another steel wheel that has the same look and feel of the originals. question being how do i measure lug pattern. they are 6 lug but do i measure from center to center and from lugs opposite each other or aside each other? we need the spare at least. anyone have a set of the gory story split rim 6 lugs they want to part with (in the SF bay area)?

thanks
6 lug or 6 hole wheels, have a bolt pattern of 5 1/2 inch bolt circle.

It's a US standard.

Split rim wheels at this point in life, are extremely dangerous.

I am not aware of any company that would install tires on them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thanks andy

maybe i am being stupid. i thought they would have some sort of value on the trailer for being original and desirable for that reason -especially with the original airstream baby moons.
does anyone know what vehicle (maybe specific model/year) came with stock steel wheels that are 6 lug and the proper width, backspacing, and accept a baby moon.? i was thinking of a 50's ford f100 or chevy truck but i think they are all 5 lug.

thanks again
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
wheels

I replaced the steel wheels on our Airstream last year and I have 7 of them with the center caps and chrome trim rings if you are interested. The photo file is too large to post, but I can e-mail it to you if you are interested.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
... question being how do i measure lug pattern? they are 6 lug but do i measure from center to center and from lugs opposite each other or aside each other? thanks
Hi greenrig:

On a wheel with an even number of lug nut holes, you measure from the center of one hole to the center of the hole directly opposite it ... or from the same position on one hole (left edge or right edge) to the same position on the hole directly opposite it. That hole-to-hole distance is the bolt circle diameter.

On wheel with an odd number of lug nut holes, you measure carefully from one hole to the adjacent hole, then do some math.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
What year did they quit useing the split rims. Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Split rim wheels at this point in life, are extremely dangerous.

I am not aware of any company that would install tires on them.

Andy
Les Schwab in the Tacoma, WA area worked on ours just before we bought it 4 years ago. Split rims sound dangerous though - it's one area where stock originality really should take a backseat to safety.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro
What year did they quit useing the split rims. Robert
Some where around 1964.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
I'm restoring a 1948 truck with split rims that I kept for originality. The guy I bought the truck from lives a couple of farms away and he showed how to work on these. ( he also owns a trucking company) He brought over a tire cage for inflating as safe as possible with a split rim.

I had the rims and rings sandblasted. I then epoxy primed and painted them. My friend said it is important to keep the ring with the wheel it came from, and inspect for any damage or corrosion. Mine were in excellent shape and turned out well.

I too like the looks of original wheels on an Airstream, but I personally wouldn't use them on an Airstream. Not many places will service them and they are dangerous. I guy I work with had both of his legs broken when he was inflating a flat tire on his grain truck and the ring blew off.

Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
so if you get a flat on the road, and want to change it out with a spare, you are at risk just changing the deflated tire/wheel ???? at what point does the ring like to pop? i guess there is a chance it could pop attached to the trailer in the case of a flat before you get a chance to pull over??
Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
and oddly enough, as many tire shops that dont do split rims, there is a very busy one just down the street from me that does. Lloyds of santa cruz
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
Yes, there is a chance that a ring will blow off an INFLATED tire at any time, although it would be rare. A deflated tire is safe. It's when inflating the tire if the ring is not seated properly that it will blow.

Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
c'mon greenrig, you know you wanna bail on those splits ya? if you haul that rig out in the boonies like you oughta you might have a heckuva time just getting a flat fixed....assuming you survive! yow!

but BABY MOONS! now you're speakin' some Mr. Horsepower-ese... I'd much rather see a safe, beautifully finished/painted one piece rim with those beautiful moons on it anyday... I know VTS has the "pointed" ones (they were out of stock of the much more expensive but beautiful round ones last I checked) but where can we six-luggers get the true round moons these days?
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
yes you get the idea. safe vintage look. no pointy. (just my own preference). if i could search craigslist with a keyword of a model and year wheel of a vehicle that had them stock back in the day, i'll bet i could find them. or i would be happy now with a split rim spare if anyone ...anyone?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
yes you get the idea. safe vintage look. no pointy. (just my own preference). if i could search craigslist with a keyword of a model and year wheel of a vehicle that had them stock back in the day, i'll bet i could find them. or i would be happy now with a split rim spare if anyone ...anyone?
Greenrig,

You are a couple weeks too late, I just pitched 2 original '56 split rims that were still on my Overlander. I called Dexstar in Elkhart, IN. to buy stock steel 15" 6 lug on 5.50" zero offset wheels, they quoted me and I purchased for $33.00/ea brand new.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
don't know if they'd fit my rims with the tabs, but hubcapmike has these:

Smoothie Hubcaps, Baby Moon or Moon Hubcaps Wheel Covers Kustom Car Moons
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote