Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Commerce , Michigan
True but rotating mass that is out of balance will still produce vibrations and without torshional loading would most likely be worse --- that is why i said it would change ---- im speaking from experiance being a powertrain engineer with Eaton torque control products

Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Well written response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA TAZ View Post
True but rotating mass that is out of balance will still produce vibrations and without torshional loading would most likely be worse --- that is why i said it would change ---- im speaking from experiance being a powertrain engineer with Eaton torque control products
Experience and opinions from experts always appreciated.

Another item to check...look closely at the mounting area of the tag axle/frame interface.

There may well be cracks in either the frame or the tag axle mounting plate where the bolts that mount the two together are located.

This condition is brought on by an attempt (tag axle) to make the P-3X chassis/frame do more than it was designed to do.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My experience is from actual vehicles in the field working at Ford Motor Company and several FLM Dealerships. Out of balance drivelines or out of round ring-pinion gear sets were never felt in the driver's seat at speed when the transmission was in neutral. Not to say the issue isn't there, it is just the forces applied did not create the vibrations to be felt. It is an EZ way to start eliminating systems without extensive dissassembly and measurements.

And as noted above all mounting points are areas to consider, for being too loose, too tight and bound up or fastened in such a way as to create interferance when torque is applied at speed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Commerce , Michigan
Also pay attention to the sway bar, spring, and track bar bushings.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Commerce , Michigan
See we do think alike
Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Well the chase for the vibration continues. In another direction now.

The work at the tire shop, balancing all wheels. One of the drive wheels had way too much weight of it, and a couple of others need a little tweaking too.
Traded out an inner drive wheel. It has a bit of wobble.
Also replaced the spare tire, which appeared to be original to the coach and with the sticker still on the tread area. So it had never been on the ground. But still very cracked on the side wall. Even after spending its life in the cover. I guess it's caused by heat as well as UV.

I did end up keeping the centramatics installed. They seem to be in good working condition. And with the strong consensus here about their effectiveness.
I decided to disregard the opinion of the Tech at the suspension/ steering repair shop.

After the wheel balancing efforts, the biggest tire bouncing, cabinet rattling vibration is all but gone, so much better in fact that I cancelled the appointment at the driveshaft shop for yesterday and headed back up to the Prescott area.

As was mentioned earlier here a vibration can have more than one cause. Now that the big one is cleared up and I have had some time behind the wheel in a variety of conditions. It clear that more effort is need, there is a smaller tho very insistent quick chattery vibration which is centered in the coach.
While at the chassis shop they said that there is a run out problem at the rear of the drive shaft. Plus one of the carrier bearing surround is looking a bit tired.

I did try the suggested coasting in neutral to check how that would effect the vibration and it did lighten up but didn't go away completely.

So I guess the next step is to drop the shaft assembly and get it looked over and balanced. I will report back after to let you all know how that plays out

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight.

Cheers Richard
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Work on known issues then tackle the unknown. If the carrier bearing is iffy, it is after all 25 years old and exterior bolts directly to the vehicle. (Transmitting vibrations) A torn boot allowing dirt into the bearings can cause excessive wear. Or the drive line run out being excessive can take out a carrier bearing as well.

There is a run out spec for most drive lines. Since it sounds like you are in the Phoenix area I would recommend Dick's driveline. Dicks Drive Shafts I have used them for several cars to obtain replacement drivelines. I am sure they would know run out tolerances.

You could replace the carrier bearing and then find out the driveshaft is causing the damage to that bearing. Diagnosing the shaft is needed which may be what has been done already.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Commerce , Michigan
You'll want to make sure its straight also --- no dog leg at the carrier bearing!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Hi I'd like to report back with an update on the hunt for the vibes.
After getting the wheel ballencing , alignment , steering parts replacement done, There still remained an annoying vibration in the driveline.
I found a good family run machine shop that does mainly drive train work, driveshafts of all sorts.
Some of the problems they corrected were mid shaft needed an end cut off and rotated to get it into phase correctly, the rear shaft needed lengthening by 1.5 inches to get correct engagement to the splined shaft, all shafts needed ballencing, and both carrier barrings were replaced.

In other words the whole shooting match was done.
Well so far with just a short 15mi. test drive, this seems to have been a big step towards a smooth ride. :-)
It is interesting how solving one problem in this sort of assyembly will sometimes reveal another issue. I'm hopefully that this series of repairs will finally put the vibration issue to rest and let me focus on other parts of the coach for a while.

Oh. While waiting for the shaft work to be done, I replaced the power converter,
Wow, what an improvement , I can now use the dash stereo while pluged in to shore power with out the loud static noise that had been happening, also the performance of the television is way better, much clearer pic, and stronger signal, all the 12 volt lights in the coach seem a bit brighter. Nice unexpected bennifits.

Thanks to all here for the informed and helpful discussion.

Cheers Richard