Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
GettinAway,
We've had no problems with the original 14" GYM's on our 2011 FC23FB in over 15,000 mi. of heavy use (broiling interstate hwy, rough gravel roads, snow & ice, mountain passes etc.) I frequently inspect the tires and check the pressure.
I'd like to know if you go to 15" and how that works for you, as I will consider the same when I replace these tires, just for a bit more ground clearance.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdh
Thanks for the link that helped. But getting back to the thread, I took the plunge and changed to 15" wheels and put on Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15 XL. But the guy at Discount Tire confused me. He said I need to run with 41 PSI instead of the 50 PSI that is indicated as max presure on the tire. So what are you guys running?
Tires heat up as you run them. This causes them to also gain pressure. If you star at the max, you will then be running over inflated tires and cause premature tread wear.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdh View Post
Thanks for the link that helped. But getting back to the thread, I took the plunge and changed to 15" wheels and put on Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15 XL. But the guy at Discount Tire confused me. He said I need to run with 41 PSI instead of the 50 PSI that is indicated as max presure on the tire. So what are you guys running?
wdh,
Any issues with wheel well clearance with the 15" wheels/tires on your 23FB? I'm considering the same when I replace my original 14" GYM's. I'd appreciate the new wheel model number/supplier.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #32

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Tires heat up as you run them. This causes them to also gain pressure. If you star at the max, you will then be running over inflated tires and cause premature tread wear.
Tire inflation pressures are "cold" pressures, intended to be checked before you heat up the tire and should take at least normal tire heating into account. The max pressure stamped on the tire is the max COLD inflation pressure.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX

Tire inflation pressures are "cold" pressures, intended to be checked before you heat up the tire and should take at least normal tire heating into account. The max pressure stamped on the tire is the max COLD inflation pressure.
And in winter you stay cold and in 112 degree weather your tires can be well over 120 degrees. The question is why run at the max? I found running at the max made the tires run hotter.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #34
wdh
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
wdh,
Any issues with wheel well clearance with the 15" wheels/tires on your 23FB? I'm considering the same when I replace my original 14" GYM's. I'd appreciate the new wheel model number/supplier.
I have not had any issues with the clearance. The 15" wheels and tires went on a lot better than I hoped. I have not been able to put the miles on them yet that I wanted to (work still gets in the way).

I went with Tredit (Tredit Tire - Tires and Wheels for RVs and Trailers) because I saw someone thought that was where Airstream got their wheels. I couldn't verify that, but one of their locations was 50 minutes away from me at Arlington, TX. So I was able to driver over there and pick them up. I chose the T02 aluminum wheel (15x6 size 5-4.5 bolt pattern 0 offset). It is 7 spoke instead of 6 spoke that came with the trailer and I really like the look. And you already have seen that I went with the Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15 XL. One thing I forgot that I had to make an extra trip was to get the center covers. They don't automatically come with the wheel and every wheel manufacturer makes a different size. I also had to make the back rails for the spare tire holder 1.5" longer to hold the spare.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #35
wdh
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Here is what the wheels look like mounted.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
I have not had any issues with the clearance. The 15" wheels and tires went on a lot better than I hoped. I have not been able to put the miles on them yet that I wanted to (work still gets in the way).

I went with Tredit (Tredit Tire - Tires and Wheels for RVs and Trailers) because I saw someone thought that was where Airstream got their wheels. I couldn't verify that, but one of their locations was 50 minutes away from me at Arlington, TX. So I was able to driver over there and pick them up. I chose the T02 aluminum wheel (15x6 size 5-4.5 bolt pattern 0 offset). It is 7 spoke instead of 6 spoke that came with the trailer and I really like the look. And you already have seen that I went with the Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15 XL. One thing I forgot that I had to make an extra trip was to get the center covers. They don't automatically come with the wheel and every wheel manufacturer makes a different size. I also had to make the back rails for the spare tire holder 1.5" longer to hold the spare.
This looks like a great way to go with our 23FBs. I guess the folks with the 25' ASs can't go to these tires due to weight restrictions. The 23' is light enough to run these Michelin LTxs??

Thanks for sharing wdh.. Good info, and the pic looks good.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
wdh; Thanks! Perfect information and pics.

Jeff; For tire selection reference, my 2011 FC23FB fully loaded weights are:
RF 1260 lbs
LF 1332 lbs
RR 1187 lbs
LR 1109 lbs
Tongue 785 lbs
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:

I am curious what you mean when you say you had to make the back rails for the spare tire 1.5" longer to hold the spare. My spare tire holder on my 23FB is in a triangular shape and one end of the triangle drops to the ground so the wheel can be pushed up into the spare holder. Is this how yours works and if so, what change did you make to the get it longer? Any pictures of the mod?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
wdh
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I am curious what you mean when you say you had to make the back rails for the spare tire 1.5" longer to hold the spare. My spare tire holder on my 23FB is in a triangular shape and one end of the triangle drops to the ground so the wheel can be pushed up into the spare holder. Is this how yours works and if so, what change did you make to the get it longer? Any pictures of the mod?
My problem was that the new tires were wider than the old such that I could not bring up the spare tire holder. As you can see in pic 1, the tires are about 1 1/4" difference in width and by your description, my spare tire holder is probably the same as yours (pic 2). Pic 3 shows me holding up one of the old back rail to the new ones installed. With them 1.5" longer I did not have to change the front bracket. Pic 4 is all buckled up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	168341   Click image for larger version

Name:	spareholder.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	168342  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rails.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	168343   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	168344  

Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe
wdh; Thanks! Perfect information and pics.

Jeff; For tire selection reference, my 2011 FC23FB fully loaded weights are:
RF 1260 lbs
LF 1332 lbs
RR 1187 lbs
LR 1109 lbs
Tongue 785 lbs
I have a 2011 23fb international and I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet.....in fact we are currently on our first trip this weekend. Does your fully loaded weight include anything in your holding tanks? I'm wondering if empty tanks and moderate gear would push my tw up that high.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
My problem was that the new tires were wider than the old such that I could not bring up the spare tire holder. As you can see in pic 1, the tires are about 1 1/4" difference in width and by your description, my spare tire holder is probably the same as yours (pic 2). Pic 3 shows me holding up one of the old back rail to the new ones installed. With them 1.5" longer I did not have to change the front bracket. Pic 4 is all buckled up.
wdh,
I returned to this thread to ask if you had considered simply retaining one 14" wheel and tire as the spare. I realize that I shouldn't use one different size wheel & tire for any great distance, but as a spare to get me to the tire repair shop - why not? It would be similar to the temporary spare provided in many cars. Am I overlooking some factor?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
wdh
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I did considered using the 14" spare that came with the trailer. I think there was someone else in a thread that was doing that. But I wanted to get completely away from the GYM's and so I went ahead and bought the 15" steel wheel for the spare and matching tire. I also went back and forth on whether to buy a cheaper, narrower tire for the spare, but as you can see, I went with matching tire so that I can rotate the spare into the other 4 when it is time.