Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
I have a 2014 International 23D with 14 inch Goodyear Marathon ST215/75R14LRCs.

I want to upgrade to Michelin LTX M/S 2 P235/75R15 108T XLs load capacity of 1985 @ 50psi for trailers.

They'll be mounted on 15 inch Sendel T03BM wheels. The Sendels are 15x6, 5/4.50, "0" offset, 3.19 center bore, 2150lbs@60psi.

The 14 inch Marathons are 26.1 inches in diameter. The 15 inch Michelins are 28.9 inches. That is a difference of 2.8 inches.

I like the idea of the trailer sitting 1.4 inches higher. The only problem is that the front of each wheel will clear the wheel well by only 1/8 inch....perilously close!

I'd like to hear how anyone else has dealt with the clearance issue.
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
Ahab's Avatar
 
2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I have a 2014 International 23D with 14 inch Goodyear Marathon ST215/75R14LRCs.

I want to upgrade to Michelin LTX M/S 2 P235/75R15 108T XLs load capacity of 1985 @ 50psi for trailers.

They'll be mounted on 15 inch Sendel T03BM wheels. The Sendels are 15x6, 5/4.50, "0" offset, 3.19 center bore, 2150lbs@60psi.

The 14 inch Marathons are 26.1 inches in diameter. The 15 inch Michelins are 28.9 inches. That is a difference of 2.8 inches.

I like the idea of the trailer sitting 1.4 inches higher. The only problem is that the front of each wheel will clear the wheel well by only 1/8 inch....perilously close!
I'd like to hear how anyone else has dealt with the clearance issue.
I have the six lug 15" rims on my 22' Safari Sport with no clearance issues.
__________________

__________________
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
I have the six lug 15" rims on my 22' Safari Sport with no clearance issues.
I didn't have clearance issues on my 2013 International 19 when I went from 15 to 16 either.

Different story with 14 to 15s on the 23D. Looks like I may have to modify the front of the wheel wells. I'm just not sure how much material to remove for sufficient clearance.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
One More Question.......

The 23D/FB have 10 inch brakes and 14 inch wheels while all other Airstreams have 12 inch brakes and 15 or 16 inch wheels.

Is it safe to run 15 inch wheels on hubs with 10 inch brakes?
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
TinTin's Avatar
 
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Images: 6
You're having clearance problems fitting Sendel T02 wheels and the Michelin LT 235/75s? I haven't heard of anyone else having any problems.

AFAIK, you will be fine with the existing 10 inch brakes.
__________________
Bob and Nancy
http://www.rwcphoto.smugmug.com
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
I ordered Michelin LTX M/S 2 P235/75R15 108T XLs and Sendel T03s from America's Tire today for my 2014 International 23D.

I trimmed the bottom front edges of the wheel wells to make it easier when fitting wheel covers.

I'll most likely have to modify the spare carrier to accommodate the larger 15 inch tire since tire diameter increases by 2.3 inches. I did that when I went from 15 to 16 on my International 19. I'm hoping that I can just get by with lengthening the "U" holder for the securing pin to lower the front of the assembly, as well as bend the side rods out.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
I had a set of Michelin LT235/75R15 XL LTX M/S2 tires mounted on Sendel T03BM 15x6 5-4.50 wheels installed on our 2014 International 23D.

Spin balanced, metal valve stems and new lug nuts all around (some of the originals were already cracked).

Wow......I'm blown away by the difference in ride quality, maneuverability and braking (larger contact patch).

And the 1.125 inches increased ground clearance is fantastic. It went from 7 to over 8 at the water tank drain petcock (why they ever put it there I'll never know).

I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with a 23 foot A/S running 14 inch GYMs.

The guys at America's Tire were fantastic (my second A/S upgrade there). They'll even test your torque wrench on their torque wrench calibrater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-23D-Michelins-1280-VH.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	218994  
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
SilverGate's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I had a set of Michelin LT235/75R15 XL LTX M/S2 tires mounted on Sendel T03BM 15x6 5-4.50 wheels installed on our 2014 International 23D.

Spin balanced, metal valve stems and new lug nuts all around (some of the originals were already cracked).

Wow......I'm blown away by the difference in ride quality, maneuverability and braking (larger contact patch).

And the 1.125 inches increased ground clearance is fantastic. It went from 7 to over 8 at the water tank drain petcock (why they ever put it there I'll never know).

I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with a 23 foot A/S running 14 inch GYMs.

The guys at America's Tire were fantastic (my second A/S upgrade there). They'll even test your torque wrench on their torque wrench calibrater.
Thanks for the fine report... and congratulations on your new rig!
__________________
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
TinTin's Avatar
 
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Images: 6
Plan to make the change this fall, but will be going to Sendel T02, since my unit requires a 5 lug wheel.

I see you've gone with a 15/6 wheel. Do the new FCs and International 23 footers come equipped with 6-lug 14 inch wheels?
__________________
Bob and Nancy
http://www.rwcphoto.smugmug.com
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
The Sendel T03s are available in 5 lug.

The 2015 specs on the Colonial Airstream and Orange County Airstream sites show 10 inch brakes and 14 inch wheels on the 23s.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
TinTin's Avatar
 
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
The Sendel T03s are available in 5 lug.

The 2015 specs on the Colonial Airstream and Orange County Airstream sites show 10 inch brakes and 14 inch wheels on the 23s.
Thanks! I was confusing size (15x6) and bolt circle (5x4.5).
__________________
Bob and Nancy
http://www.rwcphoto.smugmug.com
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
My current project is lengthening the rear hangers for the spare tire carrier to accommodate the larger 15" wheels and tires. The 235-15 Michelins are shockingly larger in all directions than the 14" GYMs.

I did the same a couple of years ago when we went from 15 to 16.....got it down.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #41
New Member
 
2008 23' International
College Station , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleakala View Post
Got 'em! Went with the 15" Sendel rims (T02-56545T) and the Michelin 235/75/15 LTX M/S 2 tires. Haven't road test them yet, but I'll let y'all know when we do. Thanks to everyone for their input and advise. Cheers!
Haleakala, How is your clearance in your wheel well? I also have a 2008 23D and don't want to modify anything in order to upgrade my wheels. Do you have any close-up pix you could post?

Thanks!
__________________
whatsthebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 871
Images: 7
I saw a new 2015 International 23FB on a dealer's lot today. Looked like it had Sendel T02 wheels.....still 14 inch. The 2015 International 19 next to it had the same wheels, 15 inch.
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 16 inch wheels and tires rperrym Tires 27 11-30-2013 03:49 AM
4 15 inch Airstream wheels and Marathon Tires (SOLD rperrym Airstream Classifieds 7 11-22-2013 05:07 PM
14 inch or not to 14 inch wheels.. busboy 1961 - 1963 Bambi 0 08-25-2013 10:19 PM
16 inch wheel 7 inch width? Wiremanranch Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 2 03-24-2013 06:16 PM
Upgrade to 16 inch Wheels and Tires ddruker 1999 Safari 3 03-04-2013 05:18 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.