Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Scottsdale. . . I too bought my 1st AS from Oasis (2010, flew in from ATL to see it) and had it serviced/repaired several times there. I bought the FC 28 from a local who had all warranty work done by Dillon RV in Apache Junction. I have since developed a relationship with them & have found them great. They are VERY knowledgeable about AS. And closer than Tucson (a little) The new AS dealer in Mesa is a real crazy place, but I think you may have to use them for warranty work. I'm very satisfied with Nick & Dillon RV. . . regards, Craig

Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
House of the Sun

2008 23' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
Well, after hearing all of your answers and doing a lot of reading on the forums here, I think we will upgrade to the 15inch rims and the Michelin tires. One more question - might sound silly to you all: What about the spare? Should I buy a new spare rim ? Or can we keep the 14" spare that we have now? Thanks!

Shaina & Jason
Live. Love. Laugh. Play. Our credo, everyday.
www.shaina-n-jason.com
Haleakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
All tires and wheels should be the same. One 14" and one 15" on a one axle trailer will be lopsided. On 2 axles, the 14" will barely touch the ground and carry no weight. To save money you could get a steel spare, but then you waste the spare tire because you can't regularly rotate it to get even wear (unless you like a steel wheel on the axle part of the time). Using the spare regularly increases your miles by 20%.

Gene
Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleakala View Post
Well, after hearing all of your answers and doing a lot of reading on the forums here, I think we will upgrade to the 15inch rims and the Michelin tires. One more question - might sound silly to you all: What about the spare? Should I buy a new spare rim ? Or can we keep the 14" spare that we have now? Thanks!
Personally I would not bother upgrading the spare to a 15 inch wheel and tire. OOMV. Insure when you get your new tires that they are brand new stock. Trailer tires are more often changed for age (five years or so) than for wear.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
PS - Looks like several of the replies to this post were from folks in or around Phoenix, Arizona. Bonus question: Where do you all get your Airstreams serviced?

Thanks again in advance!
I have all my equipment serviced by the crew of three. Me, Myself and I.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I believe it is a function of trailer size. The smaller the trailer the smaller the load and the load capacity need is less.

The '05 and '10 you have are larger trailers (not by much on the '05) than Haleakala's trailer. A 16' Bambi isn't going to have the same wheel size asi a 25" Safari. (Or a even larger trailer)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
They should have had 15's regardless of size just for clearance alone. I have a 23 ft and the 14 inch wheels were too small, I hit quite a few times. And you think AS didn't know about all the bad ST tires? Of course they did, they just cut corners like all big companies do.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
I bought a steel rim and saved a few bucks, I'd change it to a 15. I'm in the Vegas area now and travel quite a bit, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchinup1 View Post
They should have had 15's regardless of size just for clearance alone. I have a 23 ft and the 14 inch wheels were too small, I hit quite a few times. And you think AS didn't know about all the bad ST tires? Of course they did, they just cut corners like all big companies do.

Airstream delivers a product "like all big companies do" that fills a niche based on price and percieved value. For any product the variety of different users and end use makes it difficult to build a unit that fits every need for every one.

If consumers demand and are willing to pay for added product (in this case larger wheels tires and anything else related to that) usually a manufacturer will create it. However the test is in the show room. If the cost increases by X and the consumer does not buy it in the showroom or buys competitor because of price then the same manufacturer has to "cut corners" like everyone else to gain market share because that is what the market is willing to pay. For those that want more the choice is find a manufacture that makes that more and pay for it. OR modify what is available.

Examples -
In my opinon I believe the Silver Streak travel trailer was "built better" than Airstream at the time. However the consumer made the choice and did not buy enough Silver Streaks as such that company no longer exists.

Videos - Clearly beta was a better format than VHS and priced more! The consumer bought the less expensive.

As to tires ....... any manufacture will install the least expensive tire that meets the load of the trailer. Why install more especially if the majority of buyers won't pay for more??? And the tire industry is regulated by the feds for minimum standards. Don't like those standards? You have lots of choices. Don't buy them. Complain to DOT or NTSHA. Or complain to your elected official. Air Stream or any manufacturer doesn't make them, doesn't inspect them and they cretainly don't set the standards of what the tires have to perform to. Air Stream engineers a product and then seeks a tire that will fit the engineered design. The tire industry comes back with a tire to fill the need.

You may want more however the only way that happens is always you opening your wallet. Either as an initial purchase or as a chnage after the unit is delivered to you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Comment regarding switching to 15" wheels:

I think the 14" wheels on the 23' Airstream have only 5 lugs. The 15" and 16" wheels on other models have 6.

Hopefully, other owners of 23' Airstreams who have switched wheels can provide details.
That is correct. My 2006 23 foot Safari has the 14 inch 5 lug rims. Since it's 5 lug, it limits me to upgrading to only the 15 inch which means going from a 215-75/R14 to a 235-75/R15. Makes the tire slightly wider and 1/2 taller. By all of the reading on this forum, with Zero off-set, it should not be a problem. I intend to order new wheels and tires within the next few days. More to follow.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Airstream charges a lot more than the product is worth and because of that, Thor Industries has a lot of cash on hand. Airstream trades on Wally's reputation. The company does not engineer their products very well and has at times (OSB subfloors, front end sag, etc.) cheapened the trailers to make even more money. Engineers cost money and I doubt Airstream has many of them working for them. Even if they had a 100 engineers, if the company doesn't listen to them in an effort to pinch every penny they can, engineers are powerless to help. It is true, as Action says, that companies put cheap tires on their products, even auto and truck companies such as Toyota. That doesn't make it right. And while the ST tires may meet load requirements, they simply don't last very long and some cause a lot of damage to trailers. Customers have been complaining about poor workmanship, cheap materials and design issues on Airstreams since this Forum began and very few of those problems have been solved by the company. They can sell everything they make and that's all they care about.

If I had known about all the problems I would have with our trailer before I bought it, I would have looked around a lot more. And if I knew about Silverstreaks and how to fix up an old one, I might have looked for one.

You get what you pay for is a generalization that does not apply to Airstreams.

For what it is worth, Action's post and my reply are both off topic if you want to be strict about it.

Gene
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I have using these 14 inch tires on my 25 for the past 2yrs and 13k miles.

They are Lt tires for delivery vans

All good so far

SpecificationsKumhoRADIAL 857Size: 205R14CService Description:109/107Q Load Range: DUTQG: NoneMax Load: 2271 lbs.Max Inflation Pressure:65 psiTread Depth:10/32"Tire Weight: 29 lbs.Rim Width Range:5.5-6.5"Measured Rim Width:5.5"Section Width:8.2"Tread Width:5.7"Overall Diameter:27"Revolutions Per Mile:774Country of Origin: VIET NAM
CHINA
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
So please stay on the topic of 2008 23' International: 14 or 15 inch wheels and which tires? or this thread will be closed.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Airstream charges a lot more than the product is worth and because of that, Thor Industries has a lot of cash on hand. Airstream trades on Wally's reputation. The company does not engineer their products very well and has at times (OSB subfloors, front end sag, etc.) cheapened the trailers to make even more money. Engineers cost money and I doubt Airstream has many of them working for them. Even if they had a 100 engineers, if the company doesn't listen to them in an effort to pinch every penny they can, engineers are powerless to help. It is true, as Action says, that companies put cheap tires on their products, even auto and truck companies such as Toyota. That doesn't make it right. And while the ST tires may meet load requirements, they simply don't last very long and some cause a lot of damage to trailers. Customers have been complaining about poor workmanship, cheap materials and design issues on Airstreams since this Forum began and very few of those problems have been solved by the company. They can sell everything they make and that's all they care about.

If I had known about all the problems I would have with our trailer before I bought it, I would have looked around a lot more. And if I knew about Silverstreaks and how to fix up an old one, I might have looked for one.

You get what you pay for is a generalization that does not apply to Airstreams.

For what it is worth, Action's post and my reply are both off topic if you want to be strict about it.

Gene
Nice post Gene!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #28
House of the Sun

2008 23' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
Got 'em! Went with the 15" Sendel rims (T02-56545T) and the Michelin 235/75/15 LTX M/S 2 tires. Haven't road test them yet, but I'll let y'all know when we do. Thanks to everyone for their input and advise. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9202.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	216719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9203.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	216720  

Shaina & Jason
Live. Love. Laugh. Play. Our credo, everyday.
www.shaina-n-jason.com
Haleakala is offline   Reply With Quote