Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
2007 Aluminum wheels on 77 Argosy 24'

Here's the problem, I bought four 15" 2007 Airstream aluminum wheels from the for sale ads here. I also bought 4 new Michelin LTX tires and had them mounted and balanced on my new aluminum wheels. I went to install them today and discovered that the Argosy uses lug bolts instead of studs and lug nuts. The factory lug bolts have too small of a cone on them for aluminum wheels. They also go too deep into the hole in the aluminum wheel to get a socket on. I went to NAPA to get either different lug bolts, or studs that would screw into the hub and use lug nuts on. NAPA could not find lug bolts with the correct cone size in 1/2 x 20 thread to fit. All the studs that NAPA carries have different threads on each end so that will not work either. Someone out there in AS land must have done this before. Where can I get the correct parts so I can use my 77 Argosy and go camping?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Could you drill out the holes in your hubs, and then install studs?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2007 Aluminum wheels on 77 Argosy 24'

Greetings ventport!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Here's the problem, I bought four 15" 2007 Airstream aluminum wheels from the for sale ads here. I also bought 4 new Michelin LTX tires and had them mounted and balanced on my new aluminum wheels. I went to install them today and discovered that the Argosy uses lug bolts instead of studs and lug nuts. The factory lug bolts have too small of a cone on them for aluminum wheels. They also go too deep into the hole in the aluminum wheel to get a socket on. I went to NAPA to get either different lug bolts, or studs that would screw into the hub and use lug nuts on. NAPA could not find lug bolts with the correct cone size in 1/2 x 20 thread to fit. All the studs that NAPA carries have different threads on each end so that will not work either. Someone out there in AS land must have done this before. Where can I get the correct parts so I can use my 77 Argosy and go camping?
My suggestion would be to contact Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa. They aren't your closest Airstream Dealer or Service Center, but Florence and Christy in the parts department should be able to help you with either lug bolts that will work with your alloy wheels or the correct studs for your application. Ace Fogdall was an Airstrem dealer for several decades, and the last that I knew, they were still an Authorized Airstream Service Center. You can find them on the web at: Ace Fogdall RV or 319-277-2641. They arbout 260 miles West/Southwest of Madison, WI and they have been the shop that I have turned to for parts and service since the late 1990s.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Evanston , Wyoming
Solution is very easy, any trailer parts store should carry 1/2" x 20 studs to convert your hubs. The ones I purchased had an Allen socket in one end to facilitate the install. I used thread locker compound on the end screwed into the hub to keep it there. Your hub then has studs and you can use the tapered cone lug nuts for the install
twinkieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I found the correct studs and chrome lug nuts on the internet. Got them ordered and on the way. Brian
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
different problem with 08 factory wheels on '77 Argosy

I have a different problem with a similar setup. I have a '77 Argosy, 2008 factory 5 spoke alloy wheels and Michelin LTX tires installed with 1/2x20 studs and long nuts.

These wheels should be the same width and offset as the original wagon spoke wheels but when I went to put my tire covers on they would barely fit between the tire and inner fender well where I had much more room before with wagon wheels and the same tires. After a short trip all tires have very slight rubbing on the inner sidewall of the tire, but, no damage. I have 3" of clearance to the outer fender well.

I put a standard wheel nut on one stud and have .27" of stud exposed so I have ordered 1/4" spacers to move the wheels out. Since there is very minimal signs of rubbing they may only rub when I am parking and the tire sidewalls are flexed.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote