Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
1968 Tradewind, I want shiny rims...specs?

I have a 1968 tradewind dual axle, what are the specs that I HAVE to stay inside of? What's the offset to keep it centered in the well, maximum rim width, can I go to 17" or 18" rim height? etc. I want to know what my options are, I was hoping that I might be able to use my wholesale account with a rim supplier to get a set of shiny chrome or polished rims to compliment the polished skin once i'm done with the restoration.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Polishing

Are you doing the polishing..I have a 65 Caravel that I will be polishing soon, and taking to Hanscom AFB there in Boston on a trip next month...18-21 April. I'd love to see what you're doing.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
not ready to start polishing yet, the shell is not even completely re-mounted back onto the frame. But if you are going to be around, I would be more than happy to have you stop in and check out the progress. I can't wait until it's time to polish, I have my cyclo and nuvite standing by! --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
Old 03-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jeepinaudiophile

A wheel size greater than 15 inch must not be used on your trailer.

Assuming your axles are ok, going to a larger size wheel will cause the tire to hit the wheel well at the top, everytime you hit a bump.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia

Don't buy the lugs from them, wrong size. need to hit your local parts store. These are TRAILER RIMS AND TIRES with the proper ratings.
Correct part number is 22575R15ARA for the wheel in the above style that will fit your coach.
http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...l_assembly.htm

Look at this. http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...ccd22_ext.html nearly identical wheel without hte rivets. I have seen pictures where not all the airstreams are getting the rivets. Its what I have bought for our 59.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Jeepinaudiophile

A wheel size greater than 15 inch must not be used on your trailer.

Assuming your axles are ok, going to a larger size wheel will cause the tire to hit the wheel well at the top, everytime you hit a bump.

Andy
I did not intend to use a tire with a diameter greater than the original tire height, rather I wanted a low profile tire mounted on a larger rim.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
You're talking about "plus sizing" the tire/wheel combination. Cool idea, but I wonder if there will be a sufficient selection of trailer tires available to do it.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
You're talking about "plus sizing" the tire/wheel combination. Cool idea, but I wonder if there will be a sufficient selection of trailer tires available to do it.
I think it's a great idea. I looked for low profile 17" or 18" tires, but can't find a lot of info.
Finding a tire with the right load index might be a problem, but with a dual axle it will be easier than a single.
Good luck! Just make sure you have a set of tires with the correct load rating before you spend the money on the wheels.
I don't think you will find 'ST' tires in low profile. There may be 'LT' low profile tires. Nobody will want you to use 'P' rated tires.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Well, i just returned ftom a cruise to the carribean- which ended up being craziness the last 3 days, lost luggage, missed tours, ripped open luggage, plane cancelled due to emergency landing, blah, blah... I had a lot of time to think.
You hear about the evil things can happen to a trailer when one of the tires gets damaged, and is not noticed. the tire gets torn up and rips up the wheel well and all. I started thinking that maybe a set of "bead-lock" offroading rims would help minimize damage in the event that something happened. I was able to find a set of 18" tires that seemed to fall into the specifications to work for the trailer. I'm still doing some research, but will post up the information that I get. --Chad--

So far... Avon 255/55SR18
It's very slightly taller, and of course a wider tire, but still designed withing specifications to fit a 7" rim.

Keep in mind i'm going by sizing and load rating... if there is anything else I should be looking for in particular- please let me know.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 03-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAudiophile
I did not intend to use a tire with a diameter greater than the original tire height, rather I wanted a low profile tire mounted on a larger rim.
IMHO (and it is worth every penny you are paying to get it) - I would NEVER put a low profile tire on any Airstream I cherished.

Low profile tires have a very stiff sidewall and do not ride well. Not having as much sidewall to take the vertical direction changes, requires that low profile tires be much stiffer to keep the rim from bottoming out on the road. This in turn will transfer more of the punishment of the road to the shocks and torsion arms, which means that your Airstream and all of its contents will get a harder ride than it does currently.

The same problem is created by going overboard with the load rating on a tire. Picking a much greater load rating than required, increases the stiffness of the sidewall and transfers road vibrations more directly to everything in the trailer.

Bottom Line: By putting low profile tires on a trailer, you will effectively reduce the ability of the tire to assist the shocks and torsion arms in absorbing the punishment of a road.

BTW: Punishment of the road is NOT limited to pot holes, but includes every dip, or hill as your trailer rises and falls on those road normalities far more than dealing with the "pot-hole-type" or "oops-I-hit-the-curb" abnormalities.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags