Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
San Diego , California
1968 Caravel bearing seals

Hi all-
Just purchased a 1968 17 foot Caravel in totally stock condition. Pulled the rims and drums and starting to repack the bearings. Does anyone have the part number for the grease seals? I can't make out the number on the ones that were installed and removed.
Thanks!
Bob-

Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
There are several web sites that may help you. Some of the venders post on the forums. One will be InlandRV and he is in LA, nor to far from you.

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

The other is Vintage Trailer SUpply

Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers!

Start with them - give them a call they may tell you a stock number from a local car parts place for the seal. Both have good reps.

Mike

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopermr View Post
Hi all-
Just purchased a 1968 17 foot Caravel in totally stock condition. Pulled the rims and drums and starting to repack the bearings. Does anyone have the part number for the grease seals? I can't make out the number on the ones that were installed and removed.
Thanks!
Bob-
Two different grease seals were used on the Caravels back then.

One had an OD of 2.627" and an ID of 1.687" the other had an OD of 2.56" and an ID of 1.719".

Andy
Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Fastest and easiest....take the old ones off...go to any bearing supply (they are everywhere...you just never looked before) they will match it up....and as good a price to be found...(better yet if you have a resale license>)
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
San Diego , California
Thanks!

Wow - Thanks...I want to get this baby on the road before the summer is over. I'll try the auto parts house here in town. All the appliances checkout. Any advice on cleaning the water holding tank before use?
Bob-
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If the axles are original, you will most likely need to replace them before you do a lot of traveling. When I got my 68 the axles were frozen, ZERO suspension. It would have beaten the trailer apart if I had pulled it any distance with those axles.

Inland RV has post on their web site on how to check the axles.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
San Diego , California
Thanks Andy! My seal size is 2.627" and an ID of 1.687". Easily found at NAPA - Kelsey Hayes #16811.
A couple questions on the axle and replacement. Is it a job a very tool handy owner can perform? Do they (axles) have a sight bend at the center or did someone try to jack at that point? Do the new axels have the shock mount on them or do they need to be welded/bolted on? And what would you consider the minimum movement (inches or degrees) from the no load (22.5 degrees) to normal load position, to be acceptable?
Thanks all again-
Bob
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy! My seal size is 2.627" and an ID of 1.687". Easily found at NAPA - Kelsey Hayes #16811.
A couple questions on the axle and replacement. Is it a job a very tool handy owner can perform? Do they (axles) have a sight bend at the center or did someone try to jack at that point? Do the new axels have the shock mount on them or do they need to be welded/bolted on? And what would you consider the minimum movement (inches or degrees) from the no load (22.5 degrees) to normal load position, to be acceptable?
Thanks all again-
Bob
Bob.

Axles are not difficult to install.

From 68 and back, however, the procedure is a little different.

You have to cut the vertical shock brack in half, overlap it and weld it back together, so that the distance from the unloaded axle shock stud to the shock bracket stud, is no more than 14.5 inches. You will also have to weld the axle shock brackets in place, as there was a huge difference in their location, between models and the 2 factories.

We spec the axles at 32 degrees, due to todays higher profile tow vehicles.

All Henschen and replacement axles that we are involved with, are prealigned. Therefore they will all have a bend somewhere near the middle of the square tube.

Andy
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #9

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
You are SOOOOO lucky!

Quote:
Wow - Thanks...I want to get this baby on the road before the summer is over. I'll try the auto parts house here in town. All the appliances checkout. Any advice on cleaning the water holding tank before use?
Bob-
I've been looking for one of those for a while now! Where, oh where, did you find yours?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
San Diego , California
Thanks again and again!--Andy- I'll call your shop...so the new axles do not have a bottom shock mount I will need to reuse my old ones? With the new axles at 32 degree no load, what would you guess the tow vehicle ball height should be on a 68 Caravel? I just bought a 6 inch drop for my Dodge Ram at 18 inch ball height...
Bob-
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks again and again!--Andy- I'll call your shop...so the new axles do not have a bottom shock mount I will need to reuse my old ones? With the new axles at 32 degree no load, what would you guess the tow vehicle ball height should be on a 68 Caravel? I just bought a 6 inch drop for my Dodge Ram at 18 inch ball height...
Bob-
Separate shock brackets are shipped with the axles.

I would guess, repeat guess, close to 20 inches.

Andy

Tags
1968, caravel