Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 17' Caravel
Gardena , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
1966-67 Caravel Wheels

Folks,
I could use a bit of help. I would like to pick up a used rim for my '66-'67 Caravel. Unfortunately, the trailer is at my desert place which is 150 miles away. Can you tell me how many bolts the wheel has, and the width of the rim(inside the bead flange)? I would appreciate any other words of wisdom that might be appropriate in finding/purchasing a correct rim. I have one or two cornered; however, I am not sure if they will fit. I am sure that it is a 15" wheel, but this all I know. Is there a way to use a tape measure - and measure from the rear edge of the rim to the rear of the center bolt face? This might help me determine if the rims I have found are the correct width and offset.
Walt Banta
__________________

__________________
Walter Banta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
pcasa's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 96
Caravel rims

Hi, the Caravel has 5 bolts. And the original 1966 Caravel manual called for trailer tires that were 6:70 X 15 tubeless. (which you now must purchase equivalents).
__________________

__________________
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Melody Ranch's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,960
Images: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
wheels

Its a 5 1/2 width and 5 holes.
__________________
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
empresley's Avatar
 
1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 491
Images: 15
5 bolts on what Geometry?

Sorry, not all 5 bolt hubs are the same.
I know of 4 patterns with 5 bolt hubs & wheels.
The most common today found on trailers is 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern.
My guess for 2nd most common is 5 on 5”.
Third is 5 on 4.75”
Fourth (which I have never seen in person) is 5 on 5.5”

Maybe someone can share the distance between the centers of two neighboring
studs (no wise cracks please).

If you can measure with some accuracy (within 1/16”) I can tell you what the pattern is.

First one to measure their Caravel gets a case of beer from the thread starter.

em.
__________________
Travelers by aluminum roadships, loyalists to one species,
masters of convenience, herdsmen steeped in maintenance and restoration.


empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Banta
Folks,
I could use a bit of help. I would like to pick up a used rim for my '66-'67 Caravel. Unfortunately, the trailer is at my desert place which is 150 miles away. Can you tell me how many bolts the wheel has, and the width of the rim(inside the bead flange)? I would appreciate any other words of wisdom that might be appropriate in finding/purchasing a correct rim. I have one or two cornered; however, I am not sure if they will fit. I am sure that it is a 15" wheel, but this all I know. Is there a way to use a tape measure - and measure from the rear edge of the rim to the rear of the center bolt face? This might help me determine if the rims I have found are the correct width and offset.
Walt Banta
A used wheel, with no known history, is never a good idea.

That kind of used wheel fail, all the time.

When that happens, it will cost you far more than you even want to think about.

If it will be used for an "emergency" spare only, until you get to the next tire shop, then that's a different story.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
2000 25' Safari
petaluma , California
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8
used 5 bolt wheel and tire for Caravel

I just upgraded my axel and original 5 bolt wheels on my 67 Caravel to a six bolt pattern...if you want my old spare and wheel it's yours free if you pay the shipping, or you can pick it up in Petaluma, CA if you're up this way anytime soon.

Oren
__________________
airbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Tom O
 
Toldfield's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 141
Images: 1
Old Wheels

My Caravel went to Burning Man two years ago. A week or so after it returned I took it up to Tehachipi for a weekend of male bonding and such. On Sunday morning I noticed that a tire was flat. We put the spare on and drove down to Mojave to have the flat fixed. Upon removing the flat tire we found that the wheel had a 12" split just outboard of the center. As near as I can tell these are the original wheels. I am very happy that this did not happen on the trip from Southern California to Northern Nevada. As a result of this I drove out to Corona and bought new wheels from Andy. The new wheels are cheap insurance against this happening again. I also picked up some really neat chrome moon hubcaps while I was there...

Tom O
__________________
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 17' Caravel
Gardena , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield
My Caravel went to Burning Man two years ago. A week or so after it returned I took it up to Tehachipi for a weekend of male bonding and such. On Sunday morning I noticed that a tire was flat. We put the spare on and drove down to Mojave to have the flat fixed. Upon removing the flat tire we found that the wheel had a 12" split just outboard of the center. As near as I can tell these are the original wheels. I am very happy that this did not happen on the trip from Southern California to Northern Nevada. As a result of this I drove out to Corona and bought new wheels from Andy. The new wheels are cheap insurance against this happening again. I also picked up some really neat chrome moon hubcaps while I was there...

Tom O
Tom, Thanks for the input. I think these wheels are original also. I'm headed to Montana this summer, so your idea may prove to be the best.
Walt
__________________
Walter Banta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 17' Caravel
Gardena , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
A used wheel, with no known history, is never a good idea.

That kind of used wheel fail, all the time.

When that happens, it will cost you far more than you even want to think about.

If it will be used for an "emergency" spare only, until you get to the next tire shop, then that's a different story.

Andy
Andy, I've reviewed "Tom's" response and his endorsement of the wheels, etc. he purchased from you. This might be my best option.
Walt
__________________
Walter Banta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 17' Caravel
Gardena , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley
Sorry, not all 5 bolt hubs are the same.
I know of 4 patterns with 5 bolt hubs & wheels.
The most common today found on trailers is 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern.
My guess for 2nd most common is 5 on 5”.
Third is 5 on 4.75”
Fourth (which I have never seen in person) is 5 on 5.5”

Maybe someone can share the distance between the centers of two neighboring
studs (no wise cracks please).

If you can measure with some accuracy (within 1/16”) I can tell you what the pattern is.

First one to measure their Caravel gets a case of beer from the thread starter.

em.
empresley,
Thank you for your response. After posting, I happened to think that I had used an old 14" wheel tire when I was working on the trailer(temporary fitment). Having the tire/wheel handy, I measured the bolt pattern, and it is a 4.5" X 5 pattern. This is a start; now for the width/off-set...
Walt
__________________
Walter Banta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 17' Caravel
Gardena , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Its a 5 1/2 width and 5 holes.
Melody Ranch,
Thank you for your response. When you say 5 1/2 inches wide, is that measured "inside" the two vertical edges(bead flanges)of the rim? This would be the edges/flanges where the inside diameter of the tire seals against when inflated.
Walt
__________________
Walter Banta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 17' Caravel
Gardena , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa
Hi, the Caravel has 5 bolts. And the original 1966 Caravel manual called for trailer tires that were 6:70 X 15 tubeless. (which you now must purchase equivalents).
pcasa,
When I was working on this trailer several years ago, I was able to get the 6:70 X 15 tires. They are bias ply nylon(6 ply) and were made in Mexico and marketed by Denman as trailer tires(Performance Tire, Long Beach, CA). I have had poor luck with radial tires, so this was the reason for nylon. The only other option was Chinese tires(These were marketed as trailer tires by an American company - name forgotten). My father worked 34 years for Goodyear, so Chinese was low on the list of good ideas. As a point of information, however, Tucker Tire in Tennessee markets 10 ply nylon tires, which are also Chinese, in 7:00 X15. They are advertised as Airstream tire size, which caught my attention. I purchased a set(5) of them for an old Jeep I was working on, and was pleased. Tucker Tire claims to have sold thousands of these with no problem. Ironically, the cost of five tires with shipping to Los Angeles was less than five Chinese tires(6 ply) marketed locally. If you have a larger Airstream, this may be interesting to you.
Walt
__________________
Walter Banta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Melody Ranch's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,960
Images: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
measurements

Those are the measurements I got from Inland when I was shopping for new wheels to go with the new axel. I just told the wheel supply 5 on five and a half and they knew what I needed. They are 15 in wheels, by the way. I first mounted 235's on the wheels and guess what? Would not fit the wheel well. Then I went 225's and they fit. Do what Tom said...go new wheels.
__________________
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
drag'nwagon's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,174
Walter,

I just happen to have 2 wheels and tires from a '65 Caravele in my garage. They are 5 hole on 4.50" bolt cirle, zero offset, 15.000" Ψ, with like new 6.70 x 15.00 high bias 6 ply tires. This is the correct OEM equipment for your trailer. If you are looking for new stock steel wheels you will want to contact Dexstar in Indiana they wil provide you with a distributor in your area. The 6.70 x 15.00 high bias tires are still available and are widely used to today, you may to look into a farm store or some tire wholsaler to find them. These tires are not used any longer on passenger cars so going to the "big box" commercial tire stores will leave you confused because they do not recognize them anymore. I just got new 7.00-15.00's for my '56 for $70.00 ea.
__________________

__________________
Dave
TAC# MI-1
Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (charter member)

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1966, caravel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help getting size for 1966 caravel cushions cosmo9404 General Interior Topics 2 05-25-2012 11:04 PM
1966 Caravel on Craigslist platbr Off Topic Forum 1 01-24-2006 05:34 PM
1966 Caravel Rock Guard Replacement clancy_boy Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors 17 01-09-2006 04:28 PM
1966 Caravel - OUR FIRST AIRSTREAM clancy_boy Member Introductions 6 12-26-2005 12:56 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.