Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #99
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
......, so their logic must be to always inflate to the maximum for any tire. No one inflates their truck or car tires to the maximum unless they are carrying a really big load.
Most trailers are supplied with tires that just meet the max load. And the towed load is usually a small window. (Not so with passenger car and ALL TRUCKS) So a trailer manufacturer will not supply a tire that has a lot of extra weight carrying capacity. It is just wasted extra money. Multiply that by the number of units a manufacture puts out and that eats into profit. So including a tire that the max load is say 1880 pounds and the actual load runs between 1750 and 1850, well just max out the tire pressure to handle the max loads encountered.

Versus the other extreme which is a pick up truck. The load swing for a truck can be huge! (Many hundred pounds) And the tires supplied have to handle that load. To compensate the inflation charts are created to handle the swing in loads.

Now replace tires and the consumer may step up and get a larger capacity tire fo rthe extra $. Then you have some room to play with pressures depending on load other than max pressure.

Andy's post above has some merit regrding ride quality if the over capacity tire is maxed out in pressure. In my non-professional opinion this is only if you max the pressure in an over capacity tire. I don't buy the advise of a over capacity tire with less than max pressure to match the actual load will do any damage. However I get to live with my decisions and everyone else gets to live with theirs.

>>>>>>>Action

Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #100
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Question

The inflation chart for RV LT225/75R16 XPS RIB tires on the following Michelin web site lists the same inflation/weight capacities as the Goodyear LT chart.

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables

LT's seem to have the same weight carrying capacities - at least if they are made by Goodyear and/or Michelin?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Hypothetical question here:

Say my trailer weighs 7000 lbs loaded and has ST225/75/R15 sized tires. Take 10% off for tongue weight and we are at 6300 lbs. 6300/4 = 1575 lbs.
So according to this chart I could run any air pressure above 30 psi and be safe?
Granted I usually run the full 65 psi but I am hoping to understand this chart better.
Click image for larger version

Name:	load - inflation.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	122495

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #102
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I recently got the 16" wheel/Michelin E package at Jackson Center. I specifically asked about what tire pressure they recommended. I was told that they recommend 80 psi. I made the conscious decision to run Lucy's at 72 psi.

Brian
At Factory recommended pressure my tires were wearing under inflated. I bumped them up 5 PSI and I have been fine ever since.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Hypothetical question here:

Say my trailer weighs 7000 lbs loaded and has ST225/75/R15 sized tires. Take 10% off for tongue weight and we are at 6300 lbs. 6300/4 = 1575 lbs.
So according to this chart I could run any air pressure above 30 psi and be safe?
Granted I usually run the full 65 psi but I am hoping to understand this chart better.
Attachment 122495
Don't assume the weight of your trailer. Take it to a scale, you are interested in the actual weight on the tires. I generally add 5 lbs for safety and the additional load we may buy while on the road.

Very few Airstreamers are running on factory original tires and thus should discount whatever instruction may have applied when the trailer was bought.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #104

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
According to the Michelin chart, I should be running Lucy's Michelin E tires at about 48 psi (Lucy is 7400# on a Cat Scale or 1850# per tire). I'm just not comfortable at a pressure that low. My concern is heat build-up at highway speeds (70 mph) causing catastrophic tire failure. My past experience with the GYM ST's make me gun shy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
According to the Michelin chart, I should be running Lucy's Michelin E tires at about 48 psi (Lucy is 7400# on a Cat Scale or 1850# per tire). I'm just not comfortable at a pressure that low. My concern is heat build-up at highway speeds (70 mph) causing catastrophic tire failure. My past experience with the GYM ST's make me gun shy.

Brian
Start dropping the pressure 5 lbs at a time and run 40 or 50 miles and feel the side walls of the tires. You will be surprised that there is no temperature rise until you drop below the recommended pressure for the load.

I carry a Radio Shack infer red thermometer to check tire temperature and brake temperature. Keep in mind that the sunny side tires will run about 5 degrees hotter.

Don't you think Michelin might have a better idea of tire pressure than Jackson? Jackson's record of dropped ceilings, leaks, 40 lbs load limit on tha Bambi, and frame failures has not put them in a light of authority lately.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #106
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Start dropping the pressure 5 lbs at a time and run 40 or 50 miles and feel the side walls of the tires. You will be surprised that there is no temperature rise until you drop below the recommended pressure for the load.

I carry a Radio Shack infer red thermometer to check tire temperature and brake temperature. Keep in mind that the sunny side tires will run about 5 degrees hotter.

Don't you think Michelin might have a better idea of tire pressure than Jackson? Jackson's record of dropped ceilings, leaks, 40 lbs load limit on tha Bambi, and frame failures has not put them in a light of authority lately.
Amen.

Andy
Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #107
_

. , .
in spite of howie's crusades against bad tire steams and using the inflation tables...

he is simply INcorrect about most tires being over inflated.

observe a few tires 2day while driving...

u will see MANY tires parked or rolling that are obviously under inflated.

and by the time it's obvious on radial tires, they are 30-50% low.

UNDERINFLATION kills most tires and causes a lot of poor handling and accidents.

additionally it's commonly accepted and has been demostrated that fuel economy SUFFERS when tires are underinflated.

these are widely known, well established bit's of info.

suggesting most tires are OVER inflated is akin to 'flat earth' claims.
________

YES over inflation may cause wear issues and may create some problems...

but over inflation is SO UNcommon,

especially on trailer tires which are often parked and deflated, and seldom checked or topped off.

the tables are ONLY minimum pressures to support a given load.

they are NOT recommended pressures, the tire makers do NOT supply specific recommendations for 'proper inflation'.

vehicle manufacturers do, and a/s DOES supply specific inflation parameters.

also the tables don't account for driving OVER 65 psi or deal with the issue of sudden LOSS of pressure in one tire.

use the tables "minimum" and if one tire goes down the OTHER TIRE is instantly OVER loaded on a tandem or triple.

sway control is largely based on tire characteristics, under inflated tires ride SLOPPY.

trailer tires are subject to curbs, ruts, pot holes, wedgies, blocks and so on...

UNDER inflation means less air VOLUME inside the tire to resist damage to the belts and side walls from this trauma.
_________

note WHO supplies recommended inflation in this memo from a tire vendor and gym...

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf
________

yes weight the trailer, and yes monitor inflation parameters...

but please don't LOWER pressures based on this misleading info from howie...

again i appreciate the crusade, but he worships at a very small ALTERnative school o'thought.

see the LINK in this post on heat...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post913146
_______

it's best to select properly sized/rated tires and use proper inflation.

going to Es or Ds, when Ds or Cs are appropriate,

then UNDER inflating the higher rated tire is foolish...

see mark's post here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post147810

and much of this thread is really useful ON this topic.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...f-c-64182.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...nge-69097.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
2air

Mine is not a crusade it is just a dedication to "DO NO HARM" something I thought you were accustom to.

The China valve stem issue is most likely behind us do to time past and the fact that many of them have already blown off, my daughter had 2 in one day.

As for tire companies not Recommending tire pressure this is a copy from the Michelin web page

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables relating to RV tires.

Load & Inflation Tables

For RV use only, Michelin displays tire loads per axle end in the load and inflation tables, as we recommend weighing each axle end separately and using the heaviest end weight to determine the axle's cold inflation tire pressure. For control of your RV, it is critical the tire pressures be the same across an axle, while NEVER exceeding the maximum air pressure limit stamped on the wheels.

As I read this the word recommend appears in the first sentence. And note they limit tire pressure to the MAX of the WHEEL not the max of the tire. Cheap wheels may not be capable of supporting the max pressure of the tire you are using.

Yes under inflated tire are very easy to spot as we drive down the road. Not so easy to spot overinflated tire. And yes a significant number of tire failures are caused by overheating from under inflation and manufactures do post tire pressures for the Full Loaded condition of a car or truck.

However none of these conditions should preclude us from using the recommendations from the tire manufacture who have countless years of research and in this country a significant risk of liability.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #109
_

. , .
underinflation does not equal do no harm.

bad analogy

but doing NOthing is exactly how most folks behave when it comes to maintaining proper tire pressures.

so suggesting 2 folks that might normally check tires 1-2 time a year that they START at minimal pressures...

is inviting harm.

industry wide (tires/wheels/vehicles) the consensus option is lower tire pressures are bad.

and the universal advice is NOT to rely on lower pressure, but use what the VEHICLE manufacture recommends.

seems it's may be federal mandate that vehicle makers supply the official inflation specs.

rv= motorhome with mich'

contact them directly and ask WHICH mich' tire they endorse for travel trailer applications...

?

this info directly from mich' has already been posted,

but if you wanna quote their tables to support trailer tire parameters...

then specify the mich' trailer tire too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #110
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
.................................................. ......

In any case, in my opinion, the comments about Load Range E tires inflated to 80 psi riding hard and damaging a TT is just a myth. Just my seat of the pants estimate, but I really doubt that Load Range D tires inflated to 65 psi would feel any different. If I get a ride in our friends Airstream, I'll update this post, again.

.................................................. .
I agree with your opinion.

The softness of the tires is just a very small contribution to the smoothness of the ride. The major factors are the trailer's suspension design and condition combined with the actual loading.

Ken
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Tires

We ordered our Classic with the Michelin 16" tire option which will carry slightly more than the GYM's per tire. I plan to run them at full manufacturer's psi rating for safety. I believe that the "buffer" in load carrying capacity (i.e. tire is rated to carry more than the real load) is a huge advantage for safety.

Underinflation is a danger. Period. I can understand the concept of using a LITTLE less psi and trying to "calibrate" the load to the tire psi within certain limits, however most folks underestimate their real weights on any given outing ( how many actually weigh their units after loading and BEFORE a trip), and then repeat the process over the duration of the trip to accommodate psi/weight variances?

Isn't is just easier to inflate the tires to the manufacturer's recommended pressures, hit the road, and enjoy?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
It looks like most of the people who have responded in the past few days have at least two axles (a guess from the trailer lengths in your bio's). I think that the higher tire pressure I am running is warranted since we only have one axle, and the per-tire load is most likely greater than on most larger Airstreams.

In the summer, heat is a huge consideration in the desert southwest; and higher tire pressure is a hedge against heat-related tread separation and blowouts. Also, our smaller Bambi doesn't have the fall-back of a second tire to support the trailer, if and when one tire deflates. When a tire fails on our Bambi, that side is riding on the rims.

When the asphalt is so hot that walking barefoot on it results in a trip to the emergency room and our highways are littered with alligators, running 15 psi more than the 65 psi max for a load range D tire seems justified for our load range E tires, especially when Discount Tire, Costco and even Airstream all recommend running the max 80 psi.

Tags
16" tires, ltx