Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #855
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The short of it is to keep max load at 85% for LT tires in trailer service and to keep pressure at sidewall maximum.

This is the reasonable starting point.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #856
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The short of it is to keep max load at 85% for LT tires in trailer service and to keep pressure at sidewall maximum.

Why do you say at 85% rather than under 100%?

Ken

Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #857
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
16" wheels/LT tires

Thanks. I should have put differently. Tire load index should be 115% of requirement. TT GVWR should be baseline.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #858
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Wading into tire threads is never wise. However, regarding de-rating of tires for trailer use, this is what would appear to make sense to me (hopefully I'm not just repeating what others have said:

LTX tires (P metric): de-rate by 10% due to mis-application
LT tires: de-rate by 10% due to mis-application
ST tires: no need to de-rate (no mis-application)

In addition to the above, it would be great to leave an adequate safety margin of an additional 10-15% for perfect peace of mind.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #859

Quote:
Thanks. I should have put differently. Tire load index should be 115% of requirement. TT GVWR should be baseline.
I agree with to that if it is to compensate for the fact that there is no way for the load on all four tires to be equal. However I do not agree if the 15% is required just because its a trailer.

I am curious if, on a truck with tandem rear axles, are the rear tire's weight ratings adjusted for scuffing in turns? I am curious because there is bound to be be more scuffing there than on a trailer, because there is no point of rotation (trailer hitch) to lessen the scuffing.

Ken
Old 11-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #860
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I am curious if, on a truck with tandem rear axles, are the rear tire's weight ratings adjusted for scuffing in turns? I am curious because there is bound to be be more scuffing there than on a trailer, because there is no point of rotation (trailer hitch) to lessen the scuffing.

Ken
18 wheelers are truck and trailer (with hitch). Sideways scuffing would probably be similar to our Airstreams, scaled up by a big weight difference factor. Pretty sure they use tires designed for the application.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
18 wheelers are truck and trailer (with hitch). Sideways scuffing would probably be similar to our Airstreams, scaled up by a big weight difference factor. Pretty sure they use tires designed for the application.
I'm not talking about the trailer portion of the semi. I am talking about the tandem axles on the rear of the tractor, or even a clearer example are the rear tires on a tandem axle Van, dump truck or motor home.

The thought behind this is: I am beginning to believe that the "sideways scuffing" of the tandem axle trailer tires in a turn that has been used as a reason why LT tires need to be "derated" is a non factor. In my analysis, the rear and probably even more so the front tires on a truck would be subject to more scuffing than the tires on a trailer in a turn.

Ken
Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #862
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm not talking about the trailer portion of the semi. I am talking about the tandem axles on the rear of the tractor, or even a clearer example are the rear tires on a tandem axle Van or dump truck.

The thought behind this that I am beginning to believe that the "sideways scuffing" of the tandem axle trailer tires in a turn that has been used as a reason why LT tires need to be "derated" is a non factor. In my analysis, the rear tires on a truck would be subject to more scuffing than the tires on a trailer.

Ken
Ken.

Try this out.

Using the truck, make a tight of turn that you can, and stop in the middle of that turn. Then observe the twist in the truck tires.

Then make a tight of turn that you can with the tandem trailer, and stop in the middle of that turn. Then, look at the twist in the trailer tires.

These tests should only be done on concrete or asphalt.

Andy
Old 11-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #863
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:

I don't think it's reasonable to keep pressure at sidewall maximum, which is 80 psi for my 16" Michelin LTX.

Andrew Thomson of Can-Am and Inland Andy, both long-time Airstream repair shop owners, say the rough ride will eventually damage the Airstream. For our particular trailer 65 psi is working well and leaves plenty of margin above load charts for the tire (depending on who is defining plenty of margin).

And yes Slowmover I understand your concerns about sway and somebody else's concern about tire rollover in turns, but am not seeing that as an issue, at least no more than if they were mounted on our truck and probably less.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #864
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Why is the sky blue?

Personally I have appreciated the advice os Switz and Dkottum in this thread which are steering me in my decision. CapriRacer helped me understand some things. So thanks guys.

I am pretty set on the 16's now. The personal evidence is in about a dozen threads. I even think we could survive on 15's presently, because we are not full timing yet, and travel very lite since we're only 4 night camping at most right now. But April isn't too far of, so I might as well just pass for the better investment. That's my plan.

Now to off to research weather or not I really want to do that disc brake conversion.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #865
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The short version is a place to start. A minimum load index for a given TT.

I notice there are are those who overinflate TV tires and underinflate TT tires. The wrong direction for things.

As with WDH setup have a starting place. Use the recommendations. And if moving away from them be aware of trade offs. Establish the numbers and make small changes, if that.

Combination rigs -- especially with trucks -- are stable until they are not. The transition is abrupt. Often without warning.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #866
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When you change from 15" to 16" tires, the trailers is raised one half inch, not an inch as was previously stated. The tire is half an inch bigger on all sides, thus adding up to 16". The difference is so little that I never bothered to reset my hitch to the added height.

Pressure is endlessly debated. We converted to Michelin LTX M+S LR E years ago. I calculated 68 lbs. initially, but can't remember how I came to that number. After a couple of years and probably 15-20,000 miles, I found a little more tire wear with a tire tread gauge on the outside of the tread indicating under inflation. I then increased pressure to 72 lbs. So far, so good.

I think the tire tells you what makes it happy in a particular application. A tread gauge costs around $10-15 and translates to English what the tire is trying to tell you in tire language. It tells you when and where to rotate tires and whether they are wearing evenly or not. It can clue you in to bad balancing or improper pressure.

Over the years I have read a gazillion tire posts and know more about tires than I ever wanted to know. Some times I can't make much sense of some of the posts, but that may because it is beyond my knowledge or expressed poorly. But I've tried to sort it out and hope to learn more, though I am not sure I am at this point. Roll on….

Gene
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #867
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The previous 11 posts about disc brakes were moved outr of this discussion about 16" Wheels and LT tires, to the brake forum under "Disc brake discussion" should you wish to continue the brake discussion.

Please stay on topic as other users will not benefit from this discussion in years to come.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #868
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Andy--
Is there a place in Southern California that you recommend for wheel balancer installation?
Thanks.

Tags
16" tires, ltx