Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #855
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,603
Images: 1
The short of it is to keep max load at 85% for LT tires in trailer service and to keep pressure at sidewall maximum.

This is the reasonable starting point.
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #856
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The short of it is to keep max load at 85% for LT tires in trailer service and to keep pressure at sidewall maximum.

This is the reasonable starting point.
Why do you say at 85% rather than under 100%?

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #857
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,603
Images: 1
16" wheels/LT tires

Thanks. I should have put differently. Tire load index should be 115% of requirement. TT GVWR should be baseline.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #858
Rivet Master
 
TinTin's Avatar
 
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Images: 6
Wading into tire threads is never wise. However, regarding de-rating of tires for trailer use, this is what would appear to make sense to me (hopefully I'm not just repeating what others have said:

LTX tires (P metric): de-rate by 10% due to mis-application
LT tires: de-rate by 10% due to mis-application
ST tires: no need to de-rate (no mis-application)

In addition to the above, it would be great to leave an adequate safety margin of an additional 10-15% for perfect peace of mind.
__________________
Bob and Nancy
http://www.rwcphoto.smugmug.com
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #859
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Thanks. I should have put differently. Tire load index should be 115% of requirement. TT GVWR should be baseline.
I agree with to that if it is to compensate for the fact that there is no way for the load on all four tires to be equal. However I do not agree if the 15% is required just because its a trailer.

I am curious if, on a truck with tandem rear axles, are the rear tire's weight ratings adjusted for scuffing in turns? I am curious because there is bound to be be more scuffing there than on a trailer, because there is no point of rotation (trailer hitch) to lessen the scuffing.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #860
Rivet Master
 
TinTin's Avatar
 
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I am curious if, on a truck with tandem rear axles, are the rear tire's weight ratings adjusted for scuffing in turns? I am curious because there is bound to be be more scuffing there than on a trailer, because there is no point of rotation (trailer hitch) to lessen the scuffing.

Ken
18 wheelers are truck and trailer (with hitch). Sideways scuffing would probably be similar to our Airstreams, scaled up by a big weight difference factor. Pretty sure they use tires designed for the application.
__________________
Bob and Nancy
http://www.rwcphoto.smugmug.com
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #861
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
18 wheelers are truck and trailer (with hitch). Sideways scuffing would probably be similar to our Airstreams, scaled up by a big weight difference factor. Pretty sure they use tires designed for the application.
I'm not talking about the trailer portion of the semi. I am talking about the tandem axles on the rear of the tractor, or even a clearer example are the rear tires on a tandem axle Van, dump truck or motor home.

The thought behind this is: I am beginning to believe that the "sideways scuffing" of the tandem axle trailer tires in a turn that has been used as a reason why LT tires need to be "derated" is a non factor. In my analysis, the rear and probably even more so the front tires on a truck would be subject to more scuffing than the tires on a trailer in a turn.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #862
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm not talking about the trailer portion of the semi. I am talking about the tandem axles on the rear of the tractor, or even a clearer example are the rear tires on a tandem axle Van or dump truck.

The thought behind this that I am beginning to believe that the "sideways scuffing" of the tandem axle trailer tires in a turn that has been used as a reason why LT tires need to be "derated" is a non factor. In my analysis, the rear tires on a truck would be subject to more scuffing than the tires on a trailer.

Ken
Ken.

Try this out.

Using the truck, make a tight of turn that you can, and stop in the middle of that turn. Then observe the twist in the truck tires.

Then make a tight of turn that you can with the tandem trailer, and stop in the middle of that turn. Then, look at the twist in the trailer tires.

These tests should only be done on concrete or asphalt.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #863
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The short of it is to keep max load at 85% for LT tires in trailer service and to keep pressure at sidewall maximum.

This is the reasonable starting point.
I don't think it's reasonable to keep pressure at sidewall maximum, which is 80 psi for my 16" Michelin LTX.

Andrew Thomson of Can-Am and Inland Andy, both long-time Airstream repair shop owners, say the rough ride will eventually damage the Airstream. For our particular trailer 65 psi is working well and leaves plenty of margin above load charts for the tire (depending on who is defining plenty of margin).

And yes Slowmover I understand your concerns about sway and somebody else's concern about tire rollover in turns, but am not seeing that as an issue, at least no more than if they were mounted on our truck and probably less.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #864
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Why is the sky blue?

Personally I have appreciated the advice os Switz and Dkottum in this thread which are steering me in my decision. CapriRacer helped me understand some things. So thanks guys.

I am pretty set on the 16's now. The personal evidence is in about a dozen threads. I even think we could survive on 15's presently, because we are not full timing yet, and travel very lite since we're only 4 night camping at most right now. But April isn't too far of, so I might as well just pass for the better investment. That's my plan.

Now to off to research weather or not I really want to do that disc brake conversion.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #865
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,603
Images: 1
The short version is a place to start. A minimum load index for a given TT.

I notice there are are those who overinflate TV tires and underinflate TT tires. The wrong direction for things.

As with WDH setup have a starting place. Use the recommendations. And if moving away from them be aware of trade offs. Establish the numbers and make small changes, if that.

Combination rigs -- especially with trucks -- are stable until they are not. The transition is abrupt. Often without warning.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #866
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
When you change from 15" to 16" tires, the trailers is raised one half inch, not an inch as was previously stated. The tire is half an inch bigger on all sides, thus adding up to 16". The difference is so little that I never bothered to reset my hitch to the added height.

Pressure is endlessly debated. We converted to Michelin LTX M+S LR E years ago. I calculated 68 lbs. initially, but can't remember how I came to that number. After a couple of years and probably 15-20,000 miles, I found a little more tire wear with a tire tread gauge on the outside of the tread indicating under inflation. I then increased pressure to 72 lbs. So far, so good.

I think the tire tells you what makes it happy in a particular application. A tread gauge costs around $10-15 and translates to English what the tire is trying to tell you in tire language. It tells you when and where to rotate tires and whether they are wearing evenly or not. It can clue you in to bad balancing or improper pressure.

Over the years I have read a gazillion tire posts and know more about tires than I ever wanted to know. Some times I can't make much sense of some of the posts, but that may because it is beyond my knowledge or expressed poorly. But I've tried to sort it out and hope to learn more, though I am not sure I am at this point. Roll on….

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #867
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,069
Images: 13
The previous 11 posts about disc brakes were moved outr of this discussion about 16" Wheels and LT tires, to the brake forum under "Disc brake discussion" should you wish to continue the brake discussion.

Please stay on topic as other users will not benefit from this discussion in years to come.

>>>>>>>>Action
__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #868
4 Rivet Member
 
gecko's Avatar
 
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 372
Andy--
Is there a place in Southern California that you recommend for wheel balancer installation?
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
16" tires, ltx


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15" to 16" Wheels/Tires on 2007 Safari Rollertoaster Tires 53 01-23-2011 07:41 AM
Wheels and Tires shepherd57 Argosy Motorhomes 7 08-09-2010 08:14 PM
16" 5 on 5 1/2 wheels - What tires? Benjo Tires 10 02-15-2010 08:41 PM
New wheels and tires upgrade to 16" & Michelin Tin Diesel Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 9 04-23-2008 11:48 AM
Wheels and Tires Fordstream Tires 4 01-12-2006 10:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.