Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #659
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Brian, when you got your newest Airstream, did you order it with 16" wheels and Michelins? Maybe you already answered with elsewhere, but I can't recall.

Gene
Since we got New Lucy off the dealer's lot, we got her with the OEM 15" Marathons. We plan to take her to Jackson Center and get her a set of 16" wheels with the Michelin LTs.

Old Lucy was towed 121,000 miles. The last 66,000 miles were on the same set of 16" Michelin LTs. Her first 55,000 miles ate up the OEM Marathons and two sets of Maxxis STs. I would have been way ahead if I had gone to the 16" Michelins early on.

Brian
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #660
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 870
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Since we got New Lucy off the dealer's lot, we got her with the OEM 15" Marathons. We plan to take her to Jackson Center and get her a set of 16" wheels with the Michelin LTs.

Old Lucy was towed 121,000 miles. The last 66,000 miles were on the same set of 16" Michelin LTs. Her first 55,000 miles ate up the OEM Michelins and two sets of Maxxis STs. I would have been way ahead if I had gone to the 16" Michelins early on.

Brian
Brian...You may save a considerable amount of $ buy purchasing the LTs and Sendel T03s from American Tire/Discount Tire.
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #661
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,269
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Since we got New Lucy off the dealer's lot, we got her with the OEM 15" Marathons. We plan to take her to Jackson Center and get her a set of 16" wheels with the Michelin LTs.

Old Lucy was towed 121,000 miles. The last 66,000 miles were on the same set of 16" Michelin LTs. Her first 55,000 miles ate up the OEM Michelins and two sets of Maxxis STs. I would have been way ahead if I had gone to the 16" Michelins early on.

Brian
Hi, Brian; I think you meant OEM MARATHONS.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #662
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Brian...You may save a considerable amount of $ buy purchasing the LTs and Sendel T03s from American Tire/Discount Tire.
Thanks for the tip. I will look into that.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #663
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,822
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Thanks for the tip. I will look into that.

Brian
I bought the tires online from Tire Rack and the wheels online from a different source. A local tire shop mounted and balanced them for me. My total cost was much less than my friends who bought from Airstream or even Discount Tire. I kept the best 15" tire and wheel for a spare.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #664
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I bought the tires online from Tire Rack and the wheels online from a different source. A local tire shop mounted and balanced them for me. My total cost was much less than my friends who bought from Airstream or even Discount Tire. I kept the best 15" tire and wheel for a spare.
Thanks John.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #665
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,099
Images: 21
It's been a few years but when I priced wheels and tires Jackson Center's price was pretty close to what I could get elsewhere. Shipping and mounting costs added up.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #666
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It's been a few years but when I priced wheels and tires Jackson Center's price was pretty close to what I could get elsewhere. Shipping and mounting costs added up.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

I found that true also six years ago when I put the 16" Michelins on Old Lucy at Jackson Center. As I recall, there was very little difference in cost between doing it myself and getting it done at the Factory.

I sent an email to the Service Center yesterday asking for the cost of changing out New Lucy's OEM wheels and tires to Michelin 16's. When I get an answer and compare it to the cost of doing it myself, I will report the results.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #667
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbp's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 133
Thanks Brain, I'd be very interested in knowing your cost. I have a new 25 Flying Cloud myself and want to replace my stock wheels and tires. Been looking and pricing as well. I plan on selling the old wheels cheap. Good luck to you. I have enjoyed reading about both new and old Lucy. Bill


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
__________________
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #668
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I found that true also six years ago when I put the 16" Michelins on Old Lucy at Jackson Center. As I recall, there was very little difference in cost between doing it myself and getting it done at the Factory.

I sent an email to the Service Center yesterday asking for the cost of changing out New Lucy's OEM wheels and tires to Michelin 16's. When I get an answer and compare it to the cost of doing it myself, I will report the results.

Brian
I did this to my AS this past May - new axles, new 16" wheels and Michelin LTX22575R16(E) tires. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but I recall the wheels & tires came in at about $350 each. I also added Centramatics, so balancing is no longer an issue. JC has a supplier that provides them with a complete wheel and tire balanced assembly, so all they have to do is bolt it on.
__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #669
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I did this to my AS this past May - new axles, new 16" wheels and Michelin LTX22575R16(E) tires. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but I recall the wheels & tires came in at about $350 each. I also added Centramatics, so balancing is no longer an issue. JC has a supplier that provides them with a complete wheel and tire balanced assembly, so all they have to do is bolt it on.
We also got the Centramatics put on Old Lucy when we changed to the 16" wheels. As I recall, we bought them separately and had Jackson Center install them.

Where did you get yours?

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #670
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,822
Images: 3
Centramatics

I actually pulled off the Centramatics when I put on the 16" tires. They made it almost impossible to monitor the status of my disc brakes and that cost me a new hub/disc on one wheel when the outer brake pad on that wheel failed when the pads only about 1/2 worn. I would have seen the problem in time if I could have seen the discs.

I figure that the disc hubs are better balanced to start than drums and with the better wheels and balanced tires, I didn't need the Centramatics. That theory seems to be holding up in practice and the new wheels look way better without the balancers.

I'll have the set of balancers at the next flea market I attend.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #671
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We also got the Centramatics put on Old Lucy when we changed to the 16" wheels. As I recall, we bought them separately and had Jackson Center install them.

Where did you get yours?

Brian
Ordered them online and had them shipped to JC. After they installed the nes axles, they slipped the Centramatics on just before mounting the wheel & tires.
__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #672
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,131
Pahaska, when I ordered my new axles I specified drum brakes & Nev-a-lube bearings.
__________________

__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
16" tires, ltx


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15" to 16" Wheels/Tires on 2007 Safari Rollertoaster Tires 53 01-23-2011 07:41 AM
Wheels and Tires shepherd57 Argosy Motorhomes 7 08-09-2010 08:14 PM
16" 5 on 5 1/2 wheels - What tires? Benjo Tires 10 02-15-2010 08:41 PM
New wheels and tires upgrade to 16" & Michelin Tin Diesel Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 9 04-23-2008 11:48 AM
Wheels and Tires Fordstream Tires 4 01-12-2006 10:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.