Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #589
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You can have 80 lbs. in a Load Range E tire and it will ride firmer and transmit that to the trailer. You will probably be putting into more air than necessary ti support the trailer. But more pressure means stiffer sidewalls, and some people prefer that. It is a tradeoff.

We settled on 72 psi on the 16" Michelins since the way the tire was wearing told me that was the right pressure—I used the trial and error engineering method.

Gene

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #590
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
New shoes for our Airstream. Finally got it done. Sendel T-03 wheels and Michelins.
Thanks all for motivating me to do this. Took it for a ride today to seat the newly packed bearings and all's good for our winter trip.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

I tried to include photo's but didn't work. I'll try again.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #591
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Here goes again with photo's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	199485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	199486  

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #592
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have the best results carrying the correct tire pressure for the load the tire is carrying. The attachment is the RV load inflation table from Goodyear's website.
Here are the pressures for a 225/75R x 16 LT:

80psi 2680 pounds,
65psi 2335 pounds,
50psi 1940 pounds,
45psi 1790 pounds,
40psi 1650 pounds,
35psi 1500 pounds.

To use this chart you really should weigh your combination connected & loaded for travel on a sectioned scale.

For example the last Eddie Bauer I weighed with a customer was 6700 pounds on the axles (motor cycle inside) or 1675 pounds per tire. Generally I will add 10% to that number for variences in side to side load and the possibility that the scale is out a little so 1850 pounds per tire. Using the chart you could call it at 47 PSI but we went with 50 psi. 50 PSI has several advantages over 80 PSI; a smoother ride for the Airstream, shorter stopping distances espessially when wet and more even tread wear.

Some trailers & fifthwheels with corners are built with 225 Marathons right at their limit just over 10,000 pounds on tandem axles. In those cases we use the 225/75R x 16" LT with 80 psi.

From 1971 - 1984 a factory option on a new Airstream was Michelin 7:00 x 15" load range "C" tires. There were thousands of Airstreams built with these and tire trouble was very rare. I know many would say those trailers were lighter but actually many were not. The brochure weights in those days did not include options and everything was an option. By the time you added awnings, ac, double pane windows 2 door fridge etc. they weighed about the same as the new ones. Generaly 70's units tow a little easier because they are narrower and little more aerodynamic.

Years ago we could buy 225/75 x 16 Michelins in load range C which was a better match for most Airstream's but they are no longer available.

I know this is confusing and it is always easier to assume that bigger and heavier and more pressure has to be better but everthing has its compromizes.

Andrew T
Okay, after 10,000 miles on our FC 25' rear bed with 16" Michelins at 80 psi, I am taking the advice and experience of Andrew T using the table to run at a lower pressure. CapriRacer has also suggested this may be correct.

Andrew T. uses the example of a Eddie Bauer with a motorcycle inside set at 50 psi, probably similar to our rear bed with travel load. It may be a while before I can get to a scale with travel load, so I am thinking in the 50-60 psi range would be our good for our Airstream with no loss of reliability.

I think a soft ride for the Airstream is important, have been concerned about it, and that is why I will reduce tire pressure.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #593
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
My own wheel / tire upgrade, following advice / recs from Phoenix

Completed today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New airstream wheels and tires.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	208100  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #594
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I went looking to see if Michelin published similar data to that from Goodyear. The only data I could find for RV use was for XPS Ribs. But I found this tire manual that has inflation data for use on light trucks as well as RVs.

http://www.tiregroup.com/Catalogs/PD...s/Michelin.pdf

According to the table for light truck service the load at pressure for the M/S, XPS Rib and others in truck service is the same. When I convert to 16" I'll probably use this data rather than inflating to 80 psi.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #595
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I went looking to see if Michelin published similar data to that from Goodyear. The only data I could find for RV use was for XPS Ribs. But I found this tire manual that has inflation data for use on light trucks as well as RVs.

http://www.tiregroup.com/Catalogs/PD...s/Michelin.pdf

According to the table for light truck service the load at pressure for the M/S, XPS Rib and others in truck service is the same. When I convert to 16" I'll probably use this data rather than inflating to 80 psi.

Al
Just be aware that those charts are MINIMUMS, not recommendations.

I'd recommend using an inflation pressure with a 15% grater load carrying capacity than the worst tire loading.

And if you don't have individual tire loadings, use an additional 10% if you only know the loading by axle and 15% more if you only know that loading for both axles combined.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #596
de NO1PC

2004 30' Classic
1988 29' Excella
Campbell , California
What is involved in the 16" up-conversion? Just wheels and tires or is there an axle/shock 'adjustment' also being done to accommodate?
JimAspinwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #597
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAspinwall View Post
What is involved in the 16" up-conversion? Just wheels and tires or is there an axle/shock 'adjustment' also being done to accommodate?
Just wheels and tires. Some few units need a little cutting back of the trim at the trailing end of the wheel opening. Mine did on one side only.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #598

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
16" wheels/LT tires

Wheel, tire was all I needed. Clearances were fine. You may have to do some adjustments to the spare tire carrier to accommodate the larger tire.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #599
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just wheels and tires. I left the 15" in the spare and only bought four new tires, as recommended elsewhere in this thread or in one of the 500 other threads about this.
Larry
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #600
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I also kept my best 15" tire and wheel for a spare. Solves the spare tire carrier fit and saved me cash. I have no worries about traveling with the 15" spare if needed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #601
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
I pulled up a tire size calculator on internet and put in the 15" tire size of the factory tires and when I got that info I started plugging in 16" tires till I got as close as I could in diameter and width.

Since no speedometer issues are involved I need only be concerned with them fitting into wheel wells.

Off the top of my head I am thinking the 225X???X16 10 ply rating was very close to the factory size. Normal 3/4 ton truck tires run like 235-265 but the 225s are readily available.

I noted when I ordered axles one side (factory axle) was much closer to the frame than the other so I ordered the axle a little longer to give more clearance from the frame and there is still plenty of clearance outboard for tire removal/installation.

Mine was kind of backwards, I replaced tires and rims before I figured out the axles were shot so the replacement axles had to be ordered with the same lug pattern.

In retrospect if I had realized the factory axles had died I would have switched out to 8 lug axles with the same weight range as I ended up with but since I had the new rims I had to stay with what I had though the Tredit Rims I bought are rated for more weight than the factory rims were.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #602
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Just went out for a looksee and the tire size that gave the closest match with what came on my 76 Sovereign is LT225X75X16.

When I got it, there were only four original type wheels (15") and there is one white spoke with a tire that I would describe as emergency only came with it as a spare.

After I got the four up and going I called Tredit/Athens and ordered another wheel and went to a used tire dealer who got me a LT225X75X16 with about half the tread left on it that I had mounted.

Was at a flea market two weeks ago and got a 235 and a 245 with well over half the tread left on them for 25.00 each and am thinking of using the 235 as a 2nd spare for the AS and the 245 as a spare for a cargo trailer I have.

I was impressed with how the AS tires looked this morning as they have been on about three years now and still look prestine clean as the only they see sun light is when they are on the road rolling because when I get to where I will be setting up the covers go back on.

When we get home she goes back under a big shed so no sunlight touches the tires and the morning/evening sun is on the front and rear windows only.

Had a nice discussion with the Corrosion and Material Deterrioration Instructor at Rock Island Arsenal a couple weeks back who I have kept up with for the last 30 years and he told me another interesting tidbit.

Basically when I took the course (1985) we were told the additive put in tires to protect them from sunlight deterrioration (prevents the cracking as we have seen on older tires) had been cut back on standard commercial tires except those sent to lower Calilfornia and Florida.

If you ever look at military tires you will find they are not cracked or show just a very little. I have some military tires dtd 1952 I am still running. Milspec tires are loaded with the anti ozone additive as the vehicles are put on hard stands in depots and or parked in armory lots for months/years have to be able to sustain such abuse.

Subsequently with the radial tires they last so much longer now that the industry had to increase the ozone protectant levels as the side walls and tread would show cracking well before their tread depth was worn down. I have another cargo trailer with almost new tread and they are cracked (as we say in the South) 4 Ways which translates into wide, deep, unnecessarily and often. It doesn't see a lot of use and a couple have very slow air loss but I have a good spare for it now and have them covered when not in use.

Tags
16" tires, ltx