Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #379
2 Rivet Member

1998 34' Excella 1000
Arlington , Texas
Hi Dwight, I just took 6 15" Wheels off my 97 34' classic. They are the exact same wheel that came on the Classic limited. They have brand new Marathons on them only 500 miles on the tires. I'm in Arlington, TX if you would like to see them. The reason for the change is that I too went with 16" wheels and Michelins.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I was shocked, but I believe that 25' Safaris made in 2003 and earlier had 14" wheels, 5 lug nuts, and 10" drum brakes.
Robert, my 02 Safari 25 came with 6 lug, 15" wheels. It must have been before 02 when the Safari 25 came with 14" wheels. I don't know.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #381
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If you want to talk about the math, when buying 5 tires instead of 4 you are paying 25% more. However when you buy 4 tires instead of 5, you are paying 20% less.

Ken
I stand corrected. I should have said I certainly hope they last 20% longer...You paid at least 20% more than I did for four!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #382
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I bought a steel rim spare and a new "D" rated 16" tire both for less than $200. I haven't mounted the my new T-03/Michelins yet, waiting on my new bearings, but I did switch the spares out and my new 16" did fit with a little wiggling. Hope to get it all done this week.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #383
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Not sure rotating is a good idea with trailer tires. It would mask any potential problems.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #384
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
14" Wheels - Upgrading to 16" possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis2013 View Post
I just bought a 2006 Safari SE (25-footer), which comes with 14" tires. I'd rather have 16" rims and have more tire selections to choose from. I didn't think it was possible to convert to 16" rims/tires ... please advise. Thanks.
Its interesting that your rig has 14" wheels... Maybe AS was trying to save a few pennies on wheels and tires that year - or a previous owner decided to do so. Anyhow, you shouldn't have a problem upgrading to 16"-ers, it will be costly, however - as already noted.

I upgraded my 25' rig from 15" steel wheels to 16" aluminum wheels with E-rated Michelins XPS Ribs from Discount Tire. Since my rig didn't have a spare when I bought it - I had to spend the extra 25% for a fifth wheel and tire (and an A-frame mount). Peace of mind, I suppose. I'll need to remember to rotate them like a previous member mentioned!

Prior to making my upgrade, I experienced a catastrophic right front tire failure when I was running the 15" Chinese GY Marathons last June. I limped into a WalMart after about 35 miles running on 3 tires. Keeping the speed below 10mph was the trick...

You shouldn't have a problem with the upgrade - I replaced my axles at the same time and measured a height increase of about 1.75" (which I consider a good thing), FYI.

Good luck, amigo!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #385
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Not sure rotating is a good idea with trailer tires. It would mask any potential problems.
You could use that same logic with auto tires. However they recommend rotating those. I believe that anything gross enough to worry about will show up during the rotation interval.

Ken
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Its interesting that your rig has 14" wheels... Maybe AS was trying to save a few pennies on wheels and tires that year - or a previous owner decided to do so. Anyhow, you shouldn't have a problem upgrading to 16"-ers, it will be costly, however - as already noted.

I upgraded my 25' rig from 15" steel wheels to 16" aluminum wheels with E-rated Michelins XPS Ribs from Discount Tire. Since my rig didn't have a spare when I bought it - I had to spend the extra 25% for a fifth wheel and tire (and an A-frame mount). Peace of mind, I suppose. I'll need to remember to rotate them like a previous member mentioned!

Prior to making my upgrade, I experienced a catastrophic right front tire failure when I was running the 15" Chinese GY Marathons last June. I limped into a WalMart after about 35 miles running on 3 tires. Keeping the speed below 10mph was the trick...

You shouldn't have a problem with the upgrade - I replaced my axles at the same time and measured a height increase of about 1.75" (which I consider a good thing), FYI.

Good luck, amigo!
Wow, that is patience. That means you had nearly 3 hours to change the tire, and still be ahead on time. I bet you could have had roadside service do it in that amount on time. I recommend always have one of these or something similar with you when you travel.

Camco Trailer Aid 21 Tandem Tire Changing Ramp (Yellow) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Ken
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #387
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
You could use that same logic with auto tires. However they recommend rotating those. I believe that anything gross enough to worry about will show up during the rotation interval.

Ken
If your trailer is loaded properly and level, you don't need to rotate the tires. They will all wear equally.

The only reason one would wear faster than another would be if there was a problem. i.e. dragging brake, out of alignment, toe, etc..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #388

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Even though we have AAA Plus RV, we have always ended up changing our own tires on the Airstream after blowouts. We experienced three separate catastrophic tire failures with Lucy's OEM Goodyear Marathons. One was in Texas, and the other two were in Wyoming. All three were in the middle of nowhere. In each instance we would have had to have waited for several hours for a service vehicle to reach our location. We were able to to change it ourselves in a fraction of the wait time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
If your trailer is loaded properly and level, you don't need to rotate the tires. They will all wear equally.

The only reason one would wear faster than another would be if there was a problem. i.e. dragging brake, out of alignment, toe, etc..

I'm guessing the 5th one on the spare rack would not be wearing the same as the other 4. The ability to increase the total time between tire replacements combined with a fully functional spare is why I chose to buy 5 tires and wheels. I will agree that the need to rotate 4 tires is subject to question. However I don't need to ponder that question.

Ken
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #390

Here is another theory. On a multi axle trailer, the primary cause of differential wear on evenly loaded identical tires will be the sideways dragging force induced by turning. Since the trailer frame is rigid and the sideways force is applied to end of the tongue, there will be more sideways force applied to the rear wheels. This is due to their longer length from the end of the tongue and the the fact the the front axle to some degree will act as a fulcrum to apply the sideways force to the rear wheels. Therefor the rear wheel will have more wear than the front in a 2 axle trailer. In a three axle trailer the center will have the least, followed by the front, and finally the rear will have the most.

I will leave it to the engineers to calculate the amount, although I am capable of doing it. Since I am a theorist, it is beneath my station.

Ken
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #391
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
We rotate our tires every 5K miles. Objective: 1) Inspect and check balance. 2) to compensate for uneven wear b/c the AS is probably not evenly weight balanced side to side--even tho the wear may be minimal.
Zigi
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #392
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
I'm guessing the 5th one on the spare rack would not be wearing the same as the other 4. The ability to increase the total time between tire replacements combined with a fully functional spare is why I chose to buy 5 tires and wheels. I will agree that the need to rotate 4 tires is subject to question. However I don't need to ponder that question.

Ken
Very impressive. I've never heard of anyone actually wearing out their tires on a travel trailer.

Typically, the tires succumb to dry rot, UV, road damage, etc..

I replaced the spare with a 16"/LTX for functionality, too; but you must do some serious mileage to take the trouble to rotate the spare into the mix.

Tags
16" tires, ltx