Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #351
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Biloxi , Mississippi
16 inch wheels

After 50K miles and going thru multiple tires (original Goodyear Marathons, Maxxis "E" rated, etc), and with two tire failures in as many weeks last Summer, I completed the upgrade yesterday to 16" Sendel T-03 and Michelin tires. Looking forward to some trouble-free miles, I hope.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #352
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Good move, Gavin. We are approaching 30,000 trouble free miles with our Michelins.

Gene

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Tire Upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
After 50K miles and going thru multiple tires (original Goodyear Marathons, Maxxis "E" rated, etc), and with two tire failures in as many weeks last Summer, I completed the upgrade yesterday to 16" Sendel T-03 and Michelin tires. Looking forward to some trouble-free miles, I hope.
My crystal ball is usually pretty cloudy - but if I were to guess, you will not have any problems in the future with your upgraded wheels and tires. I just returned from a 3,000-mile 1-month road trip and those Michelin's just hummed along just fine. I reduced my pressures from 75 to 68, however - still smooth as silk. I've got a bit over 5k miles on the set now and the wear is even but minimal.

If you haven't already, suggest investing in a tire pressure monitoring system...

Shoot out some pix when able...

Good luck!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #354
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Gavin: best investment I've made on the 'stream, to date. Enjoy the peace of mind.

ps. taking the 'stream out in March!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post

After 3 Marathon flats in 600 miles, today I received my T-03's and mounted Michelin LTX M/S2 225/75R/16E's. About the only thing that bugged me was the "Made in China" on the T-03 boxes. The Discount Tire fellow did say that he only needed to add a small weight to one of the 4 assemblies and said that was the first time he has seen such a good balance with Michelin's and wheels. I also purchased after market stainless stems. I am waiting for my AS wheel bearings and grease seals before mounting, plus will probably need new brakes on the front axle, so will do it all once I get the parts. I have ordered Centramatics as well but they haven't showed yet either. Have the Lockhart, Tx BBQ rally on the 22nd so hope to have it all together by then.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #356
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
My t03s and michelin 2257516 are due Tuesday before We head to Daytona. Ordered from performance plus in Calif. I did foeget to specify the metal stems for tpms.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So far, of all the people who have switched to 16" wheels and have usually mounted Michelins on them, I don't recall anyone being unhappy and most are very happy.

Airstream has been too cautious on this, offering this combination only on one trim line or as an option on others.

Gene
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #358
Airstreamer NW

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Marathons

I've owned 5 RV trailers since 1971. Had many kinds of tires and towed a couple hundred thousand miles by my logs books.
Pre-airstream I had a 1998 23' lightweight prowler with 14 wheels, the smallest dexter axle they could put on it and small brakes. I had brake problems about once yearly until I sold the trailer. No problems with the original marathons which towed nearly 40,000 miles before I replaced them with carlisles.

My next trailer was a 2004 Komfort 26 with a slide out. Fairly heavy with Marathon tires. One tire failure at approx. 28,000 miles. New Carlisles and no problems till I sold it and bought my 2010 Airstream 25 FC with USA made Marathons. I am now at 16,000 mi on my original Marathons without any problems - knock on wood - and pray I don't jinx myself with this writing. Everything I read makes me anxious about my Marathons but I hope being USA made they will provide good service. I am about convinced that if and when they go I will do the 16" wheel and tire upgrade with Michelins. I have ran Michelins on my trucks for at least 30 years and have a lot of faith in them.

This whole issue about tires makes me dislike Chinese tires immensely and I will do all I can to buy American and urge tire makers to continue making them.

Good tire luck to all Airstreams.

Lou
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sendel also makes a T02 16" wheel for those who may want to keep the look of their original Flying Cloud wheels. We installed them along with the Michelins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	178624  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #360
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hound View Post
pray I don't jinx myself with this writing. Everything I read makes me anxious about my Marathons but I hope being USA made they will provide good service. I am about convinced that if and when they go I will do the 16" wheel and tire upgrade with Michelins. I have ran Michelins on my trucks for at least 30 years and have a lot of faith in them.

This whole issue about tires makes me dislike Chinese tires immensely and I will do all I can to buy American and urge tire makers to continue making them.

Good tire luck to all Airstreams.

Lou
I think people have had trouble with Marathons no matter where they were made. I think it is sometimes fair to assume Chinese made anything is not made well, but that is not always true—iPads are made in China and they are pretty problem free.

Ultimately, it is up to the US company to keep a close eye on Chinese manufacturers, but one should always keep an eye on the process from beginning to end no matter where anything is made. There are also US made products that are poorly made. I bought a house with Marvin windows, made in the US, and they have problems; a once good reputation has suffered in recent years and I am not alone in having to replace a few of them. The Marvin dealers I have talked to avoid selling them because of too many call backs.

Anyway, Lou, keep the computer away from the Marathons to protect yourself from the jinx, but I doubt it will escape them; they sense you distrust them and will take it out on you when they get a chance. And if tires start going while on the road far from home, you will, as others have had to do, buy more ST tires and Marathons are about the easiest to find. Maybe you will able to find the right wheels quickly and repalce all the tires, but when traveling, who wants to wait a few days to get it together. When we replaced our Marathons they had about 18,000 miles on them and they looked like they were 2/3 of the way through their life (Michelin LTX should last twice as long as Marathons), so it was time to change even though they still had pretty good tread on them.

Gene
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #361

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are now nearing 40,000 miles on Lucy's 16" Michelins, which were installed at Jackson Center in 2010. They show almost no wear and rarely need any pressure adjustment. This has been the best upgrade that Lucy has ever received. Lucy's ST tires used to be a major concern. Now they are almost a non issue.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #362
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I think people have had trouble with Marathons no matter where they were made. I think it is sometimes fair to assume Chinese made anything is not made well, but that is not always true—iPads are made in China and they are pretty problem free.

Gene
I would venture a guess that a tire that is more expensive in general will be better built no matter where it is built. The more expensive tire (and one could insert anything here) will allow for less user upkeep and lack of general care. A rolling tire that sits for very long periods of time and then is subjected to nearly max load condition under hot temps isn't like your daily driver that gets used every day under far less than max load.

Vehicle manufactures are in business to sell vehicles. Tires are just a piece of that total package. And vehicle manufactures are really looking for something round, black and cheap that is rated for the job. BTW the first two features could be optional. The issue with a less expensive tire that is rated to do the max load is no room for less than ideal conditions.

Let the tire sit for 3 years of non-use
Operate the tire at less than full pressure
Kiss a curb or other road hazard
Over load the RV
Or load the RV unevenly
Drive faster than the speed rating of the tire

And now the tire combination that had a small to no load margin is preforming a job that it was not rated for and fails. Tires are not a set it and forget it item. I have had cheap tires and expensive ones. In my opinon the expensive ones allow the user to get away with neglect.

I have a 16 year old boat trailer that I bought new with 14" rims and the largest tire with the max load for that size only allows for a very small margin of loading error. Came that way from the dealership. Understanding this has been my biggest tool as to keeping these tires from failing. I could go to 15" rim and move to a higher load rated tire. This would give more margin and I could neglect the tire care more. I have elected not to do so and have not had any tire failures like I did in the first 5 years of use.

Just my experience.

Action
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #363
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Vehicle manufacturers want round black and cheap? You must be kidding. If that were true, Cooper tires would be on many if not most vehicles. And i wouldn't be on 60,000 plus miles on my original set of Continentials.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #364
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Is anyone selling their 15" Alcoa wheels?

Tags
16" tires, ltx