Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I can hardly wait. Jim

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #254
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Guys, they're named Goodyear, because they're Good for ONE Year. Then you upgrade.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #255
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
I made a decision to go with the existing 15" wheels and I purchased four Michelin LTX-MS 235/75R15 XL tires to be mounted next week.
Just when I thought I was seeing a decent solution to replace tires utilizing the existing 15" rims, I go to the Michelin web site and cannot find any reference to the tire mentioned - at least not in a 15. Any help/link appreciated, thanks!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #256
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Is this them??

LTX MS Michelin Tires LTX M/S 2 P235/75R15 ORWL 108 T
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #257
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles
Does not seem to have the right tail end designator. The ones I ordered have a specific "XL" load range. Check the spec to see the load range. I am not on a browser.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #258
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Here is the tire I selected. Note the XL load range of 2,183 lbs. and 50 PSI.
Michelin*LTX M/S2
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #259
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
I went out this morning and performed a careful exam of the four tires on our trailer. We have about 3500 miles on it this far. It is a 2012. I found significant bulging and deformation in 3 of the 4 tires, and small deformation in the 4th. This is simply unacceptable under any circumstances, from any manufacturer of any RV, full stop. There are no excuses, or rationalisations, or cultish fairy dust, which changes the facts on the ground. 6 month old tires with 3500 miles are deformed and ready to blow endangering my family.
I think the deformation you see is overlapping of the plys during construction of the tire. I think this whistle was blown on this forum in the past and that was the answer. It caught my eye because all eight of the GYMs I bought new on my two new Airstreams had this appearance. None have failed.

doug k
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #260
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
[QUOTE=dkottum;1170406]
Quote:
I went out this morning and performed a careful exam of the four tires on our trailer. We have about 3500 miles on it this far. It is a 2012. I found significant bulging and deformation in 3 of the 4 tires, and small deformation in the 4th. This is simply unacceptable under any circumstances, from any manufacturer of any RV, full stop. There are no excuses, or rationalisations, or cultish fairy dust, which changes the facts on the ground. 6 month old tires with 3500 miles are deformed and ready to blow endangering my family.

I think the deformation you see is overlapping of the plys during construction of the tire. I think this whistle was blown on this forum in the past and that was the answer. It caught my eye because all eight of the GYMs I bought new on my two new Airstreams had this appearance. None have failed.

doug k
As I said before, there are sidewall bulges in my tires. Here's some information about sidewall bulges:
Tire Tech Information - Sidewall Indentations, Undulations and Protrusions
and then here - Tire Tech Information - Sidewall Separations/Bubbles

The paragraph of interest to me reads as follows:
"However, if protruding bulges, as shown in Fig. A (photo provided by a customer), rather than indentations appear on the sidewall of a recently installed tire, it reveals that there is an undesirable gap between some of the body ply cords inside the tire. The tire should be removed from service and replaced under the tire manufacturer's defects in materials and workmanship warranty." (Bolding and emphasis mine). No amount of fairy dust changes this reality.

These bulges on the sidewalls do not look promising to me. But, I am a person who doesn't gamble with auto safety. A guy tells me, "Hey, I never wear a seat belt and look - I am doing fine." That doesn't in anyway convince me not to wear a seat belt. Your individual experience with your tires convinces me of nothing in particular about tires, but I wish you continued good fortune with them.

I'm buying new tires because the preponderance of evidence I have examined, as reported by the tire owners themselves, reduces to a risk level that is wholly unacceptable to me, based on my personal safety standards and my circumstances. And, because I have the personal responsibility, means, and opportunity to mitigate this risk. Simple as that.

The kind and variety of risks others accept, is of course - as always - their personal choice.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #261
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:

I made a decision to go with the existing 15" wheels and I purchased four Michelin LTX-MS 235/75R15 XL tires to be mounted next week. I also purchased the Dill Trailer TPMS and will have that installed with the new tires.
Redwoodguy, I installed the Dill TPMS system on my AS. The system is great insurance and makes our trips less stressful when you can easily observe tire pressure and temperature. A couple of things I have learned with the Dill system: place the remote antenna as close to rear of your TV as possible, direct sunlight makes it very difficult to read the display screen. I am now keeping the Dill display on the hump below the TV dash so the display is out of direct sunlight and easy to read.

I am running Maxxis ST tires. I bought the tires before I had read all of the threads on ST tires. Fortunately the Maxxis tires are performing great at 10,000 miles. I leaning towards the Michelin XL tires like yours for my next set of tires.

I think you are making a good move.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #262
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
You all will have me checking the tires at every gas stop, which is very frequent in my case.. I have 14" GYMs on my 23'.. Holy crap..
This is good info, and a nice exchange of info.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #263
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This thread like a few others lately is overly dramatic. Beyond me why people insist on throwing out perfectly functioning products because someone else told them they are no good.

Here's a lighter, but informative discussion on GYMs a while back.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

doug k
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #264
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
16" Wheel Conversion Underway...

Hey Guys:

After having experienced a massive failure of a Goodyear Marathon (no secondary damage, fortunately) on my 25-foot Sovereign last month, I've dropped the hammer on an upgrade to the 16" wheel option with Michelin XPS's.

Wheels (similar to the style on the Eddie Bauer):
Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: PHENOM
Size: 16 x 6 Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5 Bore Size: 4.25
Load Rating: 3200 lbs @ 85 PSI Offset: 0
Silver Inlay

Tires:
Michelin XPS RIB Commercial Tire
225/75 16"
60,000 mileage warranty

I'm replacing the axles sets also as part of the upgrade. With the 35-degree axles and the larger diameter wheel set, I'm looking to get about a 1.5 to 2" higher profile, not to mention the peace of mind with these tires. I'll be running 100% nitrogen with a pressure monitoring system that's worked well on my previous AS.

Should have the conversion completed by the end of JULY - will send before/after pix soonest.

Wish me luck...

ArtClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG00571.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	162477

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00572.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	162478

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #265
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Ridgerunner --
Thank you for the tips on using the Dill. I should be able to locate the antenna rearward in the Sub, I will have to mount the screen on the dash though. I can always make a shade for the screen if needed. As you said, it will be a great relief to have TPMS on the TT. I check the TPMS on my TV all the time.

Now if they only made an automated LugNut Tensioner I'd be all set.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #266
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Hey Guys:

I'm replacing the axles sets also as part of the upgrade. With the 35-degree axles and the larger diameter wheel set, I'm looking to get about a 1.5 to 2" higher profile, not to mention the peace of mind with these tires.

I didn't know there were optional axles. Can you briefly explain what is meant by 35 degree, and why it is higher? Changing axles sounds very costly - - was it?

You went for the gusto with those XPS! That should be a super setup! Congrats on all that.

Tags
16" tires, ltx