Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #341
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Modular These are the rims I got with E range 10 ply tires. Have one trip from SC to Ohio to Vermont and back and another last month just to Lake Erie and back. About 5000 miles in towed condition. The above in Airstream bolt pattern is rated for 3040 lbs and I got the color indicated as it seemed to match AS best.

I purposely chose a rim for several reasons:

Load rating
Gray color seemed to match AS best
A securitychair can be run through the rims.

Zero offset

I got mine from Athens, Ga. Called them and they gave me a good price mounted, balanced and out the door. I told them I was coming next morning, got there and they were all mounted and ready to be picked up so I loaded them in Honda and was on the way home in 20 minutes.

Subsequently I ordered a matching rim and they sent it to me UPS and I got a used 10 ply tire spare thus I now carry two spares for AS and two for 2500HD.

I never let the tires be exposed to the sun just sitting as wheel covers go on as soon as I park it unless it is just a overnight stop. When I get home the rig goes up on 2x10s under a shed I built and covers go on so no UV light gets to rubber.

Hopefully I will have new axles installed next week and I think I will take most of the load off the tires by placing wood blocks under vertical plate to the rear of the wheels.

Someone mentioned about spare tire mount. Don't know where this is on AS but I carry my spares in front of bed in pick up. I have a box built about five feet long and 6" or so high that I carry my target rifles and shooting gear in that is out of sight and other gear on top.Thus the tires are in a depression in front of the out of sight box.

I have decided should anything happen to the rig while I am out on the road and it gets totaled but truck is still driveable I will pull out my solid state converter, propane tanks, remove the wheels and axles and purchase a 5X8 utility trailer and haul them home for the next AS I would buy.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #342
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Before & After

We decided to take them them out for a few miles and it wound up being about 80. I'll recheck the torque on the lugs and figure out if I want more than the 65 PSI the tire shop put in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	168800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2410.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	168801  

Name:	IMG_2415.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	168802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	168803  

Old 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #343
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
For Sale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2416.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	168804  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #344
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Clemson , South Carolina
older TT

I have been following this discussion for a while. It seems that most of the comments come from those of you who have larger and somewhat newer AS models. Does the 15/16" decision pertain to older trailers as well? I have a 1967 Safari (22'). I will be looking to replace the tires at some point in the spring. The PO had 7.00 x 15 LT installed before I bought it. Load range C.
Jmcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #345
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcmike View Post
I have been following this discussion for a while. It seems that most of the comments come from those of you who have larger and somewhat newer AS models. Does the 15/16" decision pertain to older trailers as well? I have a 1967 Safari (22'). I will be looking to replace the tires at some point in the spring. The PO had 7.00 x 15 LT installed before I bought it. Load range C.
Most of us who chose to switch to 16" did so because of dissatisfaction with ST tires. For a heavier trailer, it is necessary to go the 16 in tires to get the needed load carrying capacity in a LT tire. If you can find a 15 inch LT tire that will handle the weight of your trailer, then I see no reason to change to 16". The weight carrying capacity of the LT tires used on a trailer is slightly lower than that stamped on the tire side wall. I do not have the reduction factor on the tip of my tongue. I don't want to post a guess. As my teachers used to say when they could not remember something, "Look it up yourself, you'll remember it longer"

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #346

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcmike
If C is enough load for your trailer loaded up to travel, a 15" option is the tire I and several other forums members use, the Michelin LTX M/S2 in P235/75R15 XL with a 108 load rating (a little over 2000 lb at 50 psi.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #347
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcmike View Post
Put it on a certified scale loaded as if for travel (or best approximate) -- with weight distribution applied -- and get individual wheel readings. That number, plus a 15% margin for load reserve is the minimum wanted. What size, specifically, is generated by this.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #348
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
FWIW I was at Sam's Club in Augusta, Georgia last week and they had 16" trailer tires made in China. I think they were Hankook? They looked good and had heavy side walls. Anyone got any experience with them?
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #349
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
16" Wheel and Tire Combination - FULL SIZE PIC...

Steve: Apologies for the delayed response - just noticed it this AM.

I installed the upgraded wheel/tire combination in August. So far, with about 8 weeks of road-time since then, I am more than satisfied with their performance. I'm running 72psi with a TPMS and wheel balancing disks. The Michelin Ribs now have just over 2,000 miles.

If you still would like some additional (larger) images - see below, or I can Email you some pix with higher resolution.

Good luck...

Art
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 Corners 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	172310   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Corners 3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	172311  

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #350
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks Art. The pictures are great! Your trailer is beautifully polished and the wheels and tires really set the trailer off nicely.

Thanks for posting the pictures. They're going into my collection!

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #351
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Biloxi , Mississippi
16 inch wheels

After 50K miles and going thru multiple tires (original Goodyear Marathons, Maxxis "E" rated, etc), and with two tire failures in as many weeks last Summer, I completed the upgrade yesterday to 16" Sendel T-03 and Michelin tires. Looking forward to some trouble-free miles, I hope.
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #352
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Good move, Gavin. We are approaching 30,000 trouble free miles with our Michelins.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Tire Upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
After 50K miles and going thru multiple tires (original Goodyear Marathons, Maxxis "E" rated, etc), and with two tire failures in as many weeks last Summer, I completed the upgrade yesterday to 16" Sendel T-03 and Michelin tires. Looking forward to some trouble-free miles, I hope.
My crystal ball is usually pretty cloudy - but if I were to guess, you will not have any problems in the future with your upgraded wheels and tires. I just returned from a 3,000-mile 1-month road trip and those Michelin's just hummed along just fine. I reduced my pressures from 75 to 68, however - still smooth as silk. I've got a bit over 5k miles on the set now and the wear is even but minimal.

If you haven't already, suggest investing in a tire pressure monitoring system...

Shoot out some pix when able...

Good luck!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #354
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Gavin: best investment I've made on the 'stream, to date. Enjoy the peace of mind.

ps. taking the 'stream out in March!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post

After 3 Marathon flats in 600 miles, today I received my T-03's and mounted Michelin LTX M/S2 225/75R/16E's. About the only thing that bugged me was the "Made in China" on the T-03 boxes. The Discount Tire fellow did say that he only needed to add a small weight to one of the 4 assemblies and said that was the first time he has seen such a good balance with Michelin's and wheels. I also purchased after market stainless stems. I am waiting for my AS wheel bearings and grease seals before mounting, plus will probably need new brakes on the front axle, so will do it all once I get the parts. I have ordered Centramatics as well but they haven't showed yet either. Have the Lockhart, Tx BBQ rally on the 22nd so hope to have it all together by then.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #356
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
My t03s and michelin 2257516 are due Tuesday before We head to Daytona. Ordered from performance plus in Calif. I did foeget to specify the metal stems for tpms.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #357
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So far, of all the people who have switched to 16" wheels and have usually mounted Michelins on them, I don't recall anyone being unhappy and most are very happy.

Airstream has been too cautious on this, offering this combination only on one trim line or as an option on others.

Gene

Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #358
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Marathons

I've owned 5 RV trailers since 1971. Had many kinds of tires and towed a couple hundred thousand miles by my logs books.
Pre-airstream I had a 1998 23' lightweight prowler with 14 wheels, the smallest dexter axle they could put on it and small brakes. I had brake problems about once yearly until I sold the trailer. No problems with the original marathons which towed nearly 40,000 miles before I replaced them with carlisles.

My next trailer was a 2004 Komfort 26 with a slide out. Fairly heavy with Marathon tires. One tire failure at approx. 28,000 miles. New Carlisles and no problems till I sold it and bought my 2010 Airstream 25 FC with USA made Marathons. I am now at 16,000 mi on my original Marathons without any problems - knock on wood - and pray I don't jinx myself with this writing. Everything I read makes me anxious about my Marathons but I hope being USA made they will provide good service. I am about convinced that if and when they go I will do the 16" wheel and tire upgrade with Michelins. I have ran Michelins on my trucks for at least 30 years and have a lot of faith in them.

This whole issue about tires makes me dislike Chinese tires immensely and I will do all I can to buy American and urge tire makers to continue making them.

Good tire luck to all Airstreams.

Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sendel also makes a T02 16" wheel for those who may want to keep the look of their original Flying Cloud wheels. We installed them along with the Michelins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	178624  
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #360
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hound View Post
pray I don't jinx myself with this writing. Everything I read makes me anxious about my Marathons but I hope being USA made they will provide good service. I am about convinced that if and when they go I will do the 16" wheel and tire upgrade with Michelins. I have ran Michelins on my trucks for at least 30 years and have a lot of faith in them.

This whole issue about tires makes me dislike Chinese tires immensely and I will do all I can to buy American and urge tire makers to continue making them.

Good tire luck to all Airstreams.

Lou
I think people have had trouble with Marathons no matter where they were made. I think it is sometimes fair to assume Chinese made anything is not made well, but that is not always true—iPads are made in China and they are pretty problem free.

Ultimately, it is up to the US company to keep a close eye on Chinese manufacturers, but one should always keep an eye on the process from beginning to end no matter where anything is made. There are also US made products that are poorly made. I bought a house with Marvin windows, made in the US, and they have problems; a once good reputation has suffered in recent years and I am not alone in having to replace a few of them. The Marvin dealers I have talked to avoid selling them because of too many call backs.

Anyway, Lou, keep the computer away from the Marathons to protect yourself from the jinx, but I doubt it will escape them; they sense you distrust them and will take it out on you when they get a chance. And if tires start going while on the road far from home, you will, as others have had to do, buy more ST tires and Marathons are about the easiest to find. Maybe you will able to find the right wheels quickly and repalce all the tires, but when traveling, who wants to wait a few days to get it together. When we replaced our Marathons they had about 18,000 miles on them and they looked like they were 2/3 of the way through their life (Michelin LTX should last twice as long as Marathons), so it was time to change even though they still had pretty good tread on them.

Gene

Tags
16" tires, ltx