Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #301
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ross, when I had 68 lbs., there was slightly more wear on the outside of the tread, then I increased pressure to 72 sometime last year. So far, I haven't driven enough miles to make a difference, so I'll check again with the gauge later this summer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #302
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
I am not a tire Guru eventhough my brother is a huge wholesale tire dealer....I run 72 lbs in my 16"- XPS Ribs and don't find anything unusual anywhere except I don't have belt separation, as I did on 9 GYMs and my tire pressure doesn't vary... I haven't added air in 6 mos...and we are now NYS residents and get a lot of Temp variation....My tire wear is such that it does'nt really show....I'm sure XPS Ribs are not so rare as stated ,and I am sure my brother probably has them in his wholesale warehouse..."Terry's Tire Town" -- Alliance, Ohio... but I see nothing wrong with the LTX M/S tire....I have run them on my SUVs for years.....and in fact have one for my spare on the AS.....
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #303
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Do these wheels make me look fat?

Booyaah. New wheels and tires. Don't know if they look better, can't tell if they ride better, but I sure FEEL a whole lot better.

Before picture (with my favorite plastic gray thing).

After picture (16" LTX)

15" wheels and tires for sale if anyone interested (PM me).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	162947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	162948  

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	162949  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #304
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Very Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Booyaah. New wheels and tires. Don't know if they look better, can't tell if they ride better, but I sure FEEL a whole lot better.

Before picture (with my favorite plastic gray thing).

After picture (16" LTX)

15" wheels and tires for sale if anyone interested (PM me).
Love the look! And the grey plastic thing. I think I NEED one of those....

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #305
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
For those interested, the gray thing is a Rhino Ramp. Great tool to keep with you - no lift needed if you run into a flat for whatever reason. And dogs love them too. Don't remember where I got it, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	163016  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
"Do these wheels make me look fat?"

LOL. Maybe it's because I know it's properly outfitted, now... but the proportions just look better with 16" rubber

Enjoy!

PS. those ramps are great, only problem is they take up way too much space...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #307
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
ST Tire Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I've been running Maxxis E's for the last 48,000 miles. I'm just fed up with ST tires.

Brian

I'm trying to learn and figure out what tires to buy. Why did you get fed up with ST tires? Is there something about them I should know?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #308
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doug,

Use the search function and search goodyear marathon, st tires, etc, and you will have all the reading you can handle! Many, many complaints about various ST tries, especially in hot area of the country.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #310

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
I'm trying to learn and figure out what tires to buy. Why did you get fed up with ST tires? Is there something about them I should know?

Thanks,
Doug
I got fed up with the ST tires because I had three separate catastrophic failures (blowouts) with OEM Marathons. After that, I went to the Maxxis E's. They all suffered premature tread separation. I just got fed up with looking for new tires every time I turned around. At one point I was held up for almost a week in rural Maine, waiting for a new ST tire to be shipped in from New York.

We tow use our Airstream a bunch (1,090 nights/100,000 miles in six years). We also tow a little on the fast side (70 mph). We finally decided to bite the bullet a little over a year and a half ago and got 16" wheels and Michelin LT's. That was 35,000 miles ago. The LT's show no wear and have not given us any problems. I check the pressure often, and they never need any adjustment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #311
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Brian. Wow that's a bunch of miles and I knew you would put them to the test. Good report. I haven't read of any issues with them on any trailer. We opted for the 15" Michelin LTs last year as we simply couldnt justify the extra cost of switching size due to our much lower mileage than you. So far as I know, there have been no issues with the 15" tires either and they are in use on hundreds of Airstreams.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #312
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Don't forget that the cost is the difference to go from your 15" to 16" AFTER you sell the old Marathons and rims. We got about $350 for the old tires and rims which made the move to the 16" LTX a lot less painful.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #313
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I recently took my brand new trailer on its first "semi-long" trip (a couple of thousand miles round trip). After I bought it last November I spent A LOT of time on this Forum trying to avoid lessons learned by other people who have years of experience with their Airstreams. It seemed to me then that if I were to prioritize any upgrades it would be safety related. The many threads on catastrophic failure of ST tires motivated me to buy 16" wheels and Michelin LT's. I did. I also invested in a TPMS. Now having towed my trailer, and having watched the tire pressure while driving up to 70 MPH (not my preferred speed), I can tell you that I would absolutely positively make the larger wheel/LT change. Remember the adage: "we repeat lessons until we learn them!" Well, this thread has way too many people who have suffered the loss of inadequate tires.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #314
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
New Wheels, Tires, and Axles...

After having given much thought to the 16" upgrade I pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. My wheels and tires came in last week.

Considering the complete Marathon failure I experienced last May - I knew that I was going to do something to limit the probability of having it happen again. I was fortunate with my blow-out that it didn't cause any collateral damage to the trailer - others of us have not been so lucky.

Reading this thread, it was extremely helpful to me in listing the Pro's/Con's regarding the upgrade. I settled on the Michelin Ribs - five of them. I'll be mounting them on new axle sets from Inland RV this week. My spare will be mounted on a newly acquired "A-frame Rack" from Out-of-Doors-Mart, as my '85 didn't come with a spare tire rack.

Regarding Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - they provide me a peace-of-mind in knowing I'll be alerted to not only the "slow leak" but also immediate blow-outs caused by nasty road hazards. The system I use attaches an RF sensor directly to each of the valve stems, others use an internally mounted sensor inside the wheel/tire - I'm sure there are other types of systems out there. The point is, from a safety perspective, I believe TPMS's are useful technologies to minimize damage, or even injury, as we pull these rigs around on the highways.

More pix to follow after the axles are installed...

NOTE: For those who have experienced tire failures - EUBANK is conducting an interesting poll and I would recommend taking a few minutes to participate in uploading the details of your tire failure experience(s).

Keep 'stream'n the dream...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new wheel and tire.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	163708  

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #315

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage
Don't forget that the cost is the difference to go from your 15" to 16" AFTER you sell the old Marathons and rims. We got about $350 for the old tires and rims which made the move to the 16" LTX a lot less painful.
Also remember the cost to repair the damage a shredded tire can cause. For all intents replacing the wheels and tires cost less than the damage and the potential cancellation of a trip due to the damage.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #316
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera

Also remember the cost to repair the damage a shredded tire can cause. For all intents replacing the wheels and tires cost less than the damage and the potential cancellation of a trip due to the damage.

Jack
Amen

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #317
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post

Jack
Streetside:

Curbside:
Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #318
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Holy cow! -- Is the $17,931.82 total the actual cost to repair, or did Airstream come down from this quote? I hope you didn't have to pay this out-of-pocket...

Boondockdad; a couple of questions, if you don't mind disclosing the details:

* I notice that after the initial Goodyear Marathon tire failure, the tire failure poll indicates that you had another failure within 30 days, and more after that (within a year of the initial incident). Was all of the damage from the original tire failure; or was this damage the cumulative result of several incidents?

* Could you please advise which tires have subsequently been installed, what you are running now (tire size, brand and model), and your tire-related experience since April of 2009?

Thanks,
Phoenix

==============

Link to Airstream Tire Failure Poll: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html

Note: Click on number in third column to reveal User IDs of poll respondents.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #319
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Holy cow! -- Is the $17,931.82 total the actual cost to repair, or did Airstream come down from this quote? I hope you didn't have to pay this out-of-pocket...

Boondockdad; a couple of questions, if you don't mind disclosing the details:

* I notice that after the initial Goodyear Marathon tire failure, the tire failure poll indicates that you had another failure within 30 days, and more after that (within a year of the initial incident). Was all of the damage from the original tire failure; or was this damage the cumulative result of several incidents?

* Could you please advise which tires have subsequently been installed, what you are running now (tire size, brand and model), and your tire-related experience since April of 2009?

Thanks,
Phoenix

==============

Link to Airstream Tire Failure Poll: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html

Note: Click on number in third column to reveal User IDs of poll respondents.
IIRC, that was pretty much what the actual repair bill ended up being. Of course, that doesn't include the cost of gas getting the trailer there and back- or more significantly, the cost of my time to transport it. No, the actual repair bill wasn't 'out of pocket', per se...

These two repair quotes were for damage that occurred while on vacation to FL. The streetside damage happened just west of Jacksonville, on the freeway. Goodyear Marathon ST blew apart at 60mph, and left a long reinforced rubber tread attached at one end, that flailed the side of the trailer until I could get to the shoulder safely (heavy traffic).

The curbside damage occurred, from my best guess, somewhere north of Toledo, OH on our way home (about 2 weeks later). I had stopped for gas, and part of my regular routine is to walk around the rig, check the hitch, and check the running gear (psi and also temp using IR gun). Everything was AOK. But once home, I noticed the tread had completely come off the front curbside, and tore-up the lower panel, along with the wheel well lip and other trim. Interestingly enough, the tire was still inflated.

The other (3) Goodyear Marathon ST failures didn't cause any damage. One of those failures was an 'attached tread separation', that is; the tire looked fine, except it was larger in diameter-- and the disturbing thing was it did not trip my TPMS alarm. Either the sensor was not working, or the PSI drop was not enough to set off the alarm.

I'm now running 16" Tredit T02 rims, Michelin LTX M/S, 'E' load at 80 PSI. There's just under 10k miles on this new set, no problems.

PS. Goodyear covered the insurance deductibles, and reimbursed me for the cost of the tires, in all instances.

PSS. It only now occurred to me, you might be familiar with my experience- under my former screen name of "Finalcutjoe"
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #320
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Thanks; really appreciate you taking the time to include the information in your last two posts.

You've certainly paid your dues for tire failures, and I wish you continued good luck and worry-free roadtrips with your 16-inch wheels and LT tires.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16" tires, ltx