Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have never weighed each tire only the axles as a combination. There is no room on a Cat Scale to do this (only scale available in my area). As the tire engineer suggested, load up the trailer, weigh the axles and add a variance (fluff) factor of 10- 15% and call it a day.
Don't worry about clogging up the scale, you pay the same amount as truck, typically they will work with you.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
You might be able to get aluminum rims at a trailer suppler near you.
Just make sure you have the proper rim load capacity.
I think at least 2800lb capacity per rim!!
Other airstreamers can make there comments on this!!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by william Haym View Post
You might be able to get aluminum rims at a trailer suppler near you.
Just make sure you have the proper rim load capacity.
I think at least 2800lb capacity per rim!!
Other airstreamers can make there comments on this!!
Hi William,

Thanks, I did try Ruston RV but no luck - I was going to try the big RV place just across the Burlington Skyway bridge, but I think I may now have found something suitable at a local tire shop. Going to see them this afternoon to hopefully finalize everything to get them early next week. Fingers crossed!

Specs are identical in every way to the Sendel rims folks are using except the load limit is a bit lower - 3200# which I think is fine. I believe the
Sendel T03 is 3850, the T02 may be lower - ot sure.

Cheers .......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Looks as though I should be getting 16" wheels & Michelins. Everything is on order now and is supposed to be at the local tire shop early next week.

I'm wondering what sort of pressure people are running the 16" Michelins at for a trailer similar to my 2005 Classic 30?

Max for the tires appears to be 80, The light wt of my trailer is supposed to be about 7300 and the GVW shows as 8700, (although my trailer bought used has had 5000# axles installed). I have not scaled the trailer as yet.

From a load/pressure chart I see on the Michelin website, I am thinking that somewhere around 60 pounds seems right.

But I used that pressure on my last tires (ST 15" LRE) and they wore badly on both sides of the tires and I got very limited mileage on them, so perhaps I should run the Michelins at a higher pressure?

I have read that contrary to what we might intuitively think, higher pressures do not give the trailer a much rougher ride and it is teh trailer's suspension that mostly governs the ride quality.

As a small side issue, I am wondering if I will still be able to fit the
screw-jack type chocks I got from Hensley between the wheels now that I am losing an inch of clearance between the tires! I suspect they should "just" fit.

Hoping I don't need to bugger around with the wheel well trim to provide clearance and that I don't have to deflate the wheels to get them into teh wheel wells.

I have heard some people had to do that but it might be on different size trailers.

When I asked AS about these wheels fitting my year and model of trailer they said they would and don't mention any issues!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Tire pressure is another heavily debated issue. Internet Wisdom is to run the tires at maximum pressure due to the side loading on the tires during turning. But as you know, there is lot's of competing opinions on tires with little to help pull fact from fiction.

Running the 16" at max pressure will create a harsh ride for the AS I am told...

Good luck with the purchase. I've not heard of any issue with folks changing to the 16" tires.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
Tire pressure is another heavily debated issue. Internet Wisdom is to run the tires at maximum pressure due to the side loading on the tires during turning. But as you know, there is lot's of competing opinions on tires with little to help pull fact from fiction.

Running the 16" at max pressure will create a harsh ride for the AS I am told...

Good luck with the purchase. I've not heard of any issue with folks changing to the 16" tires.

Thanks MaxTow, if that is the current wisdom, then maybe I will start with bumping up the pressure to at least 70 and see how I get on!

As for the harsh ride issue with higher tire pressures, I have read a few articles indicating that this might not be the case.

As a retired mech eng., I feel a bit guilty that maybe I should be expected to know these things - or at east be able to calculate them!

But being retired for over 15 years and having worked many years before that in general management rather than engineering positions per se, I am far from the text books and have little inclination to try returning at this late date!

That is my excuse anyway!

I can believe that it might be so however, perhaps due to significantly different spring rates between that of the trailer's rubber suspension and that of the tires themselves.

Considered as springs in series, it could well be that the difference in spring rate of the tires caused by a 20 psi difference in the tires in comparison to the spring rate of the trailer suspension might have very little effect on the
g forces transmitted from the road through the tires and trailer suspension to the coach body and that the trailer suspension is the major governing factor.

I'd be interested if anyone has a more definitive answer about that!

I know Inland Andy has a strong feeling that towing with heavy duty trucks has a deleterious affect on the Airstream structure, but I feel that is a different phenomenon and he could be right. Trucks certainly right more stiffly than other vehicles and I suppose those shock loads are transmitted quite well through the hitch, especially having the weight transfer bars. (

On the other hand, I tow with a fairly heavy truck, and so far after many cross country trips, haven't seen any evidence of adverse effects such as popped rivets ........ (yet!)

Thanks again for your remarks ................ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Certainly from first hand experience on my truck, higher PSI makes for a harsher ride. It can be countered by the load.

That is - 60 PSI in my truck's rear tires with an empty bed makes the truck downright dangerous on rough roads. The truck tends to bounce all over the place. Lower the pressure in the tires and the vehicle becomes much more compliant.

Loading up the truck has a similar effect, making the 'spring' flex more.

There are certainly others who can comment on their experience with tire pressure in the 16" E rates tires. At 80 PSI they are going to be pretty stiff. I would be tempted to back that off a little as you suggest.