Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Would someone please answer my question. WHY the move from 15" wheels to 16" wheels???????

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #114
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Do most go with a plain steel wheel in 16" size or can we get away with the original spare in 15". I have 2 new spares and hate to replace them unless I have to.

Also, will a 16" spare fit in the front spare tire holder mounted behind the trailer
A-frame ?????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Would someone please answer my question. WHY the move from 15" wheels to 16" wheels???????
1. More load carry capacity, and therefore in many cases, simply more "reserve" regarding that.

2. Greater selection of better quality tires in 16" sizes.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #116
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Bud for the reference. I've been getting the run-around from most of them and the wheels that some are offering in place of the Sendels are just not my styles. Your reference to Shadow trailer is the first one that had their act together AND carried the Sendel wheels. I placed the order for 4 wheels/ center caps/ lug nuts. Next stop will be tomorrow to order the tires and all should be good in a few days. And PLUS, no sales tax and free shipping along with the best price I've seen. Life is good.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
See ya on the road sometime.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
I spent a considerable amount of time studying tire information on this forum and from other sources before deciding which way to go on tires to get away from the ST tires. My trailer is a 2002 Safari 25 with a gross weight of 6300 lbs. My ready for camping axles weigh 5500 lbs. I decided to go with the Michelin LTX M/S2 P235 75 15XL. These tires are rated at 1985 lbs each, at a max pressure of 50 psi, when not used on a passenger car. 2183 lbs each on a passenger car application. This seems like plenty of reserve capacity for a trailer in my weight range and these 15" Michelin tires have an excellent reliability history on Airstream applications according to Can-Am Airstream.

I have about 5000 miles on the tires and have been very happy with them.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
The best reliability possible with a tire/wheel Airstream uses as standard on some models and as an option on 25' Airstreams and up. Their Service Center also installs them as an upgrade.

Last night we were on I-10 in west Texas, heading west, dark as pitch, 80 mph speed limit, semi trucks blasting by, two jail escapees on the loose in Oklahoma, and who knows what else. Dreadful place for a flat tire and possibly a damaged trailer from it, and we have seen worse.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Do most go with a plain steel wheel in 16" size or can we get away with the original spare in 15". I have 2 new spares and hate to replace them unless I have to.

Also, will a 16" spare fit in the front spare tire holder mounted behind the trailer
A-frame ?????
Roger,

I have read earlier posts from at least one person who elected to keep the 15" spare. I was considering doing that myself, and I think it would be ok to get you to the next tire shop to fix your 16" tire.

In the end, I decided to go with five new aluminum rims and 16" wheels.

The reason I did so was that the 16" wheels were not a bad price, and I thought
that if I had a 16" rim and Alum. wheel as spare, then I could use it in regular rotation with my other wheels and get some use out of it.

As well, if in future I damaged a rim somehow, and if the wheel design was no longer available at that time, then I could just buy a steel rim as a spare at that time and still have four matching rims to run on.

I suppose the spare tire carrier might vary in design from one trailer model to another.

In my case (2005 Classic 30) it did not look as though there was room for the 16" wheel.

Reason is that there are a couple of vertical prongs that stick up un the rack and hold the tire in place laterally when the rack is raised to the travel position.

On my trailer it looked as though they were a pretty close fit around the 15" wheel and did not look as though they had enough clearance for a 16" (although I did not try.)

I have heard of some people bending something on the rack to make the 16" fit and I would guess they are talking about the prongs. Looks like you could maybe do it.

I have welding equipment and was thinking of just cutting the prongs and extending them a bit.

But when i saw what a rusty mess my spare rim was in I wasn't keen to carry a shiny new aluminum rim under there (Lots of road salt used up our way), so I decide just to keep the spare in the garage and throw it in the back of the truck when we travel with the trailer.

That will keep the spare in much better shape cosmetically, make it less of a chore to include the wheel in regular tire rotations, and make it that much easier to access the spare if we ever need it on the road.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I kept my 15" spare and have used it twice on the ground with the 16" on the other axle. Works fine. If it is OK to run to the next exit and shop with NO tire and wheel on a corner, it is certainly fine to run with 1" different diameter (1/2" from axle to ground) for enough to get the flat repaired/fixed.

That said, when the 15" spare is timed out, I will probably find a cheap 16" steel wheel and inexpensive TL for a full time spare.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
For my part I had just heard so many bad experiences with ST tires on various RV forums, (and also had a set of Marathons come apart on our last trailer,) that after reading a number of people's success stories an recommendations regarding LT tires from forum members whose opinions I respect, and needing new tires anyway, I decided now was the time to give them a try.

I was further encouraged by the fact that Jackson Centre have also decided to offer them now too.

The Michelin LT tires (and wheels) that I bought also have higher rated capacity than the ST tires that I removed, and should I ever need a replacement tire when on the road, should be fairly easily obtained.

Our local Airstream dealer suggested I opt for 15" Michelin LT tires, but they did not appear to match the load presented by our 10,000lb GVW trailer and so I was nervous about trying that and went with the 16" version which gives an added margin of capacity.

Those factors influenced my decision to switch to 16"LT tires.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Hi - it's a lot to sort through. I asked the same question a few months back. It can make your head spin!

Why do you ask? Are you thinking about it? Curious? Wondering if you can stay with your 15s?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post

A-frame ?????
With the reliability of the 16" Michelins and the ability to remove a tandem axle flat tire and continue to drive for a replacement, it is not totally unreasonable to carry no spare, much less two. Depends on where and how much you travel.

But I kept the original 15" spare in the unlikely although possible event we may need it. It will fulfill its function of carrying us to a tire seller.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #124

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Hmmm, try Tredit in Elkhart, IN. It's been 2 years since I got mine, but they shipped direct.
Yep I bought mine direct from Tredit in Elkhart two summers ago.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #125
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
When we had our older AS 30'er it came with an extra wheel but no spare. I got a new tire and had the wheel sandblasted and painted. I kept it when we sold the trailer and the newer trailer also came with one. That's why I have 2 spares. One is mounted in a underneath carrier and one I carry in the truck. I have never needed to use one. I plan to mount my take-off GYM's on my son's flatbed trailer. Not as heavy as our AS and much newer than the ones he has on it now. Unfortunately the wheels will not fit. I'm glad to see you agree that the 15"er will make an OK spare at least for the time being. I may look for a steel wheel down the road and get a 16" spare. But, until then I should be OK to travel.

Thanks all, Keep up the good work

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Max pressure is 80psi for Load E tires.

SenDel also makes a galvanized steel wheel and a white painted steel wheel with similar load specifications to the T03-66655T wheel of 3,580 pounds @ 80psi.

Also, Andy at CanAm suggests 45psi for the 15" Michelin tires. I used that pressure on our 2013 25FB International Serenity without issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote