Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #99

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think if you can get a wheel by wheel weight you can really see what each wheel is carrying. I was fortunate back in 2002 that a SOB dealer sponsored a tire seminar by RVSef. Included in the seminar was a weigh in where we weighed the trailers hitched and unhitched. I still have the report somewhere in the house. When I went to the seminar, I loaded up the trailer with my normal camping load. Food, clothing etc. I went with dry water tanks since that's how I travel 99% of the time. My 27' Safari unloaded weight was stated to be 6,000 lbs. It weighed in at 6,500. From that I've pretty much based my travel weight on my Classic to be about 500 lbs over the empty weight as stated by Airstream.

Also interesting was the weight distribution on the wheels. All the wheels were almost identical except for the curb side rear. It had 40 lbs more on it than the others. No individual tire was overloaded.

I need to talk to my dealer and see if I can convince him to sponsor a weigh in by these folks. I'd gladly pay to have it done by the RVSef folks.

Here is a link to their site. They usually post the locations where they will be conducting weigh in's.

RV Safety & Education Foundation

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #100
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have been trying to locate a dealer / distributer of Sendel wheels. I wrote to the company using their website and got a response back but no direction where I can make a purchase. Can someone that has gotten the wheels themselves give me a hint as to how you did it ??? I'd like to do this before it gets too cold here in the NE. Once I get the wheels I can get the tires in a few days. If they don't respond soon I will take my purchase elsewhere but I do appreciate the references here on the forum from Sendel users.

Thanks all, See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Bought my wheels here Tredit Tire - Tires and Wheels for RVs and Trailers
Bought my Tires and TPMS at Tire Rack
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I have been trying to locate a dealer / distributer of Sendel wheels. I wrote to the company using their website and got a response back but no direction where I can make a purchase. Can someone that has gotten the wheels themselves give me a hint as to how you did it ??? I'd like to do this before it gets too cold here in the NE. Once I get the wheels I can get the tires in a few days. If they don't respond soon I will take my purchase elsewhere but I do appreciate the references here on the forum from Sendel users.

Thanks all, See ya on the road sometime.
I am not a Sendel user, but like you I tried to find a place to buy a set.

I too contacted the company but got no reply, I spoke with a number of local tires shops here in Canada and they had not heard of them.

I did hear that Discount Tire can special order them for you.

In the end, I got all the specs of the Sendel wheel that people are using and just asked a local tire shop if they could find me a wheel matching those specs and they did.

Not bad looking wheels, cost me $90 each. I just bought five of them and had the Michelin 16" tires installed last week.

The wheels are rated 3200lbs, I think one model of the Sendel's is the same, and another is somewhat higher maybe 3840.(T02 vs T03?)

I should be fine at 3200.

At the same time I got rid of the old lug nuts - they had those chrome metal caps on steel nuts and kept jamming in my wheel sockets and were a nuisance.

I replaced them with stainless steel lug nuts they cost me $60. I also had the wheels fitted with metal valve stems to use with my TPMS.

All seemed to go well with the installation, no clearance issues on our trailer - first long trip will be in Feb.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just an observation (and opinion):

It looks like the conversion to 16-inch wheels and LT tires is finally gaining some traction. However, it's frustrating to see discussions now turn to how much one can underinflate LT tires.

If Airstream, Discount Tire, Costco and other tire shops all recommend inflating LT tires installed on trailers to the maximum pressure printed on the sidewall, I don't understand why anyone would want to risk running lower pressures.

Unfortunately, if this trend continues, I foresee a tire poll for next year designed to collect inflation data on LT tires, to figure out why they are failing so frequently.

Just my opinion; but, if despite Airstream and major tire center recommendations, some want to run lower pressures on a LR-E tire rated for 80 psi, they may as well keep their GYMs, as they are defeating the whole purpose of switching to 16-inch wheels and LT tires.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #104

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just an observation (and opinion): It looks like the conversion to 16-inch wheels and LT tires is finally gaining some traction. However, it's frustrating to see discussions now turn to how much one can underinflate LT tires. If Airstream, Discount Tire, Costco and other tire shops all recommend inflating LT tires installed on trailers to the maximum pressure printed on the sidewall, I don't understand why anyone would want to risk running lower pressures. Unfortunately, if this trend continues, I foresee a tire poll for next year designed to collect inflation data on LT tires, to figure out why they are failing so frequently. Just my opinion; but, if despite Airstream and major tire center recommendations, some want to run lower pressures on a LR-E tire rated for 80 psi, they may as well keep their GYMs, as they are defeating the whole purpose of switching to 16-inch wheels and LT tires.
Here is a quote from the RV Safety Educational Foundation.

Note: Towable – Travel Trailer/ 5th Wheel owners Due to the severe use conditions experienced by tires when axles are very close together – tire industry experts recommend maximum (sidewall) inflation pressure for towable tires unless this causes a severe over-inflation situation (20psi+), often referred to as the ‘basketball effect’. If this is your situation allow a 10 – 15psi safety margin above the minimum required inflation pressure.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #105
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Capri, I think you are saying if Airstream recommends 80 psi, go with that.

But then, why do I need to know what the vehicle weighs - wheel position by wheel position? Because in reality, that's not going to happen. This is a travel trailer with varied loading and water/waste transfer each trip.
What I am actually saying is that you need to weigh the trailer - wheel position by wheel position - in the worst case scenario (everything you can think of that you would ever load into it, including full water tanks). That way you will know what load the tires are experiencing.

Once you have done that, you will know if the tire needs to be upgraded in some way - larger tire or higher load range.

If you don't do that, then you are guessing that Airstream has properly sized the tires for the vehicle - and while I will admit there is some evidence that the newer models may be OK, I am far from convinced this is a universal - especially for older models.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Got mine from Tredit as well. They have several locations across the US.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #107
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I called Tredit and they told me they only sell through distributers and gave me a number for the only place in NJ. Not even close. Still lookin. Gonna check with my local tire guy today and see if he has a hook somewhere for them.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hmmm, try Tredit in Elkhart, IN. It's been 2 years since I got mine, but they shipped direct.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #109
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Pleasant Valley , New York
I did a will call for my wheels at the Pennsylvania warehouse for Tredit in May of 2012..maybe they have changed their policy since then? Called Elkhart direct, then made arrangements to pick them up when I was passing through the area.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The SenDel contact referred me to a Discount Tire store near me. I called and gave the tire rep the specific wheel part number and ordered five wheels in. Took a week or so for them to arrive. With delivery of $10 per wheel plus sales tax I paid just over $610 for the wheels.

I will order the Dill TPMS from that store (part #1506-453 and it includes the #1900 display) for around $350 plus tax. Note this kit has six wheel senders so one is a spare. The spare tire unit is not synced to the display until it used because the lack of rotation would cause an error code to be displayed.

The Michelin tires will come from a local CostCo and be ordered in a week or so before the trailer arrives so they are as new as possible.

I will personally install the new tires and wheels along with the Centramatic wheel balancers using McGuire wheel nuts and lock wheel nuts. That way I know that no impact wrench was used to over torque the bolts on the brake drums.

Then I will weigh the trailer on five individual wheel weight scales to determine road ready true empty weight and tongue weight. We will load our stuff and full water and repeat the weighing. This will inform me which if any wheel is carrying a heavier load than the others.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I asked Sendel for a recommended seller back when I was thinking of going to 16" wheels. They sent this company's name. I have no experience dealing with this particular company. I know several on this forum have bought there Sendel wheels from this dealer.

Trailer Wheels and Rims by Sendel Wheel
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
What I am actually saying is that you need to weigh the trailer - wheel position by wheel position - in the worst case scenario (everything you can think of that you would ever load into it, including full water tanks). That way you will know what load the tires are experiencing.

Once you have done that, you will know if the tire needs to be upgraded in some way - larger tire or higher load range.

If you don't do that, then you are guessing that Airstream has properly sized the tires for the vehicle - and while I will admit there is some evidence that the newer models may be OK, I am far from convinced this is a universal - especially for older models.
Okay, many of us have upgraded to 16" Michelin LT tires from the original 15" GYM ST tires for reliability, and perhaps extra load capacity.

The question is, do we follow Airstream's recommendation for this tire upgrade (which is factory standard on some models and available as an option on others) of 80 psi (cold) or not? That is the maximum pressure printed on the sidewall.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote