Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on our former 2013 25FB International Serenity have a sidewall rating of 2,183 pounds at 50 psi printed right on the tire. Per the federal regulation 49 CFR 571.110 captioned below, the tire must be derated 10% to 1,985 pounds maximum load for trailer use.

For my personal preferences, the Flying Cloud/International 27FB models with a GVW of 7,600 pounds is an iffy maximum load. The Classic 27FB with 9,000 pound GVW we initially ordered was going to get the 16" Michelin tire and SenDel wheels. Obviously, for me, the 30' model Flying Cloud/International models with a 8,800 pounds GVW and our Classic 20 on order with a 10,000 pound GVW would go the 16" route as well.

49 CFR 571.110

Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less.

S4.2.2.1

Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.

S4.2.2.2

When passenger car tires are installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, each tire's load rating is reduced by dividing it by 1.10 before determining, under S4.2.2.1, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle.

S4.2.2.3

(a) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with passenger car tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.

(b) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with LT tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.

The tire image of the 15" GYM on the left and the 15" Michelin on the right (see photo in my "images" under my avatar) shows the 0.9" taller Michelin has much more tread foot print on the road due to both tread width and lower pressure and has no 65 mph speed limit printed on the tire like the GYM tire.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I think you mean "Extra Load"

Ah ...... be careful here. This whole area of "Max Pressure" is a bit tricky - and it turns out Michelin has made a mistake on their website, which further complicates things.
you are correct, I meant to say Extra Load.

I'm still not exactly clear on what the "mistake" is on the mich website, even after Bud explained it.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Hi Everyone,

If anyone reading this tread have a 25FB with 16" tires from the factory. Could you please post a picture of your payload label. It would be interesting to see how it changes from the 15" tires.

Thanks,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
you are correct, I meant to say Extra Load.

I'm still not exactly clear on what the "mistake" is on the mich website, even after Bud explained it.
The Michelin website shows the LTX M/S2 P235 75 15XL tires rated for 1985 lbs at 50 psi. The rating stamped on the side wall of the 15" LTX M/S tires Michelin produced today is 2183 lbs at 50 psi max pressure.

If the Michelin P235 75 15 was sold as an LT235 75 15 (as it was in the past) it would be rated at 1985 lbs at 50 psi. I think the problem is that Michelin did not revise their webpage when they changed the tire from an LT to a P tire.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Hi Everyone,

If anyone reading this tread have a 25FB with 16" tires from the factory. Could you please post a picture of your payload label. It would be interesting to see how it changes from the 15" tires.

Thanks,
Rion
Our load sticker has no mention of tires.

The VIN sticker does show the size/psi of the tires installed but no load rating.

Do they now pay attention to the load rating of the tires?, it's the axles that were not matched to the GVWR on our Classic. #7300 GVWR on #3500 axles.

Most of the newer trailers are matched much better.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
The Michelin website shows the LTX M/S2 P235 75 15XL tires rated for 1985 lbs at 50 psi. The rating stamped on the side wall of the 15" LTX M/S tires Michelin produced today is 2183 lbs at 50 psi max pressure.

If the Michelin P235 75 15 was sold as an LT235 75 15 (as it was in the past) it would be rated at 1985 lbs at 50 psi. I think the problem is that Michelin did not revise their webpage when they changed the tire from an LT to a P tire.
Ah...ok, thanks Bud, got it. I was going by what is on TireRacks site and it seems to be correct.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Our sticker has no mention of tires.

Do they now pay attention to the load rating of the tires?, it's the axles that were not matched to the GVWR on our Classic. #7300 GVWR on #3500 axles.

Most of the newer trailers are matched much better.

Bob
Hi Bob, wouldn't the tire/wheel/brake assembles which are not carried by the axles allow your axle rating to be well matched to your GVWR, not to mention tongue weight carried by the truck?

The trailer tires on the other hand carry everything but the tongue weight.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #64
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Hi Bob, wouldn't the tire/wheel/brake assembles which are not carried by the axles allow your axle rating to be well matched to your GVWR, not to mention tongue weight carried by the truck?

The trailer tires on the other hand carry everything but the tongue weight.

Not so much....wiggle room would be nice.

Plus.....note the wonderful () CCC of our Classic. 676lbs is a joak.

JC must have had an epiphany....check the axle specs & CCC on the newer trailers.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have looked at the EB trailer label to see what factory tire pressure is recommended for its 16" tires, and it is 80#.

I am at the Airstream Service Center right now and asked them what pressure I should use in my Michelin 16" LT tires I installed. They said 80#; when they serviced our trailer the tech inflated the tires to 80# as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
You hit on a point that was brought up to me by call to Airstream when I first called them about shopping for a used trailer (what to look for). He mentioned to watch the axles. When I said Safari 25 he said that some of those came out with 6000 lb axles. At the time, I did not think too much about it but as you found, the weights and axles don't always match. The one I own has a 7000 lb axle system- the same as yours.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Question on the wheel tire discussion. What about Michelin LTX AT/2 tires versus the MS/2? Would they be as good. They say it is more resistant to gravel but I cannot find too much difference.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I picked up my order of Sendel wheels T03 with the black insert today to join the rest of you in the 16" club. They were $110 each locally with steel valves plus our state tax. I am going to move slow to try and get the best price. My call to Discount got a $115 per wheel price + tx. They had a $30 off but I had to drive a few hours to get them. So, $463 local versus $458 + gas at Discount for me. Now which one, Michelin LTX AT/2 versus LTX MS/2 for the AS?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Question on the wheel tire discussion. What about Michelin LTX AT/2 tires versus the MS/2? Would they be as good. They say it is more resistant to gravel but I cannot find too much difference.
LTX AT2 are off road/on road tires. I've had 4 sets of them (LTX AT the first two sets) over the years on 1/2 ton trucks. Great tires, 60,000 vice 70,000 tread life on the MS. I think there is a post here with someone using the AT2. There are outstanding tires for off road, while still good, fairly quiet, highway use. Don't know why you would want them for the trailer when the MS2 should give you a little better mileage and one of the best rated highway tires out there--read reviews. We have the MS on wife's Tahoe now. Great mileage, but I don't think they will last longer than all the AT s did. All above tires were 40# psi tires. All sets of ATs went 70,000 plus with me selling the four for $300 used (obviously not worried about liability sale). I don't think we'll quiet get 70k out of the MS set on Tahoe, but will be 60 plus with 1/3 tread left. Even though the above tires are "P" 40# tires, I see no reason why the higher ply rated tires would be any different.
All this said, I went ahead and put the 15 inch Maxxis 8008 10 ply on out 30 FC. Speed limited, yes, but they haul more weight than anything being talked about with the LT tires. There are a couple of 8008 ply separations talked about here, but a friend had a LTX MS completely come apart with 40,000 miles on it mounted on a Expedition. who knows what his air pressure was, but demonstrates any of them can fail. The all steel Michelin rib sounds good, but not for use in freezing conditions? What's with that?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok, I was just thinking about the ruggedness factor on the A/T 2. On the Michelin site it mentioned that it would hold up better to gravel etc. so I thought gravel/campgrounds, etc and wondered about using them. The wheels look great. I finally got to look them over after doing yard work today.