Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Here's my reasoning to keep the original 15" spare.

We got the 16" Michelins for the great reliability. No one on this forum has reported a failure of this tire, even on a poll that was done. It is highly unlikely the spare will ever be used.

If we had a flat, Airstream states in our owner's manual we can remove that tire and proceed on three wheels at slower speed and limited distance to get it changed or repaired. Most surely the 15" spare is an extra measure and adequate to proceed for repairs.

If we had a flat with a 16" Michelin, we would be without a spare and still proceed for a prompt repair. No difference.

Our original 15" spare is new, never been on the ground. It doesn't sound to us like money well spent to discard it for an expensive tire and wheel that we will most likely never use, and offers only the slightest, if any improvement of the unlikely flat tire event.

Our money is limited and we could spend that amount on something more useful for our travels.

Some say they can use the spare in the tire rotation schedule and get longer wear out of them. Maybe. But for most of us it is much more likely these Michelins will age out long before they wear out.

Probably makes sense!

I did opt for the 16" spare mainly based on the argument of being able to including it in the rotation, but also because this way I wound up with a 5th matching 16 aluminum wheel just in case I somehow damage one and at that time can no longer buy a matching replacement.

One problem is that the spare will not fit in the underbody rack at the front of our trailer.

Looks as though I could modify the carrying rack easily enough, but on the other hand, it would seem a shame to throw that nice looking aluminum wheel under there anyway, so I just carry it in the back of our pickup now! Doesn't take up much space there and probably a lot easier to get at it if I ever need to use it on the road.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
On my 19ft 75th I changed the rims and tires for fear of destructive damage from the Explodathons doing their thing...

I would go retro with 16" Dexstar steel wheels and stainless baby moon caps along with stainless trim rings. No rust, low maintenance. Paint the rims to match your trailer. I bought my rims from Redneck Trailer Supply; very cheap: Dexstar 16" steel wheels, 6" wide, 6x5.5 bolt circle, model number WH166-60E. I also bought Centramatic model 13150 balancers from Andy.

Again, I went with 16" wheels for my 75th Winick Prototype but I went with the best tires I could...Michelin XPS Ribs. Very pricey, but they have a full steel sidewall. I had a previous blowout with a Bad-Year on my Scamp that ripped a hole in the wheelwell. Didn't want to chance that on my Airstream...so I replaced essentially brand new tires. I run my XPS Ribs at full maximum cold PSI which is 80lbs. I have been in the trailer while being pulled at highway speeds over rough roads and it is still as bouncy and cushiony as ever; it doesn't slam over bumps whatsoever. Running at max cold PSI has not been detrimental in the least; as a matter of fact, I can tell if the tires are a bit low; it feels as if I'm pulling pillowcases full of wet flour. HUGE difference in towing resistance.

I painted my rims with Duplicolor Ford Blue high temperature engine enamel. I love the way they look. I am REALLY happy. The tires, again are Michelin XPS Ribs in a 225/75/16, customized by DiamondBack Tires with a 1.5" whitewall and dual blue lines. The blue lines are the exact same color as my pinstripes (and vintage logos) and match the color of my rims (the lettering I used for "Airstream" is a bit lighter in color). The stripes on the tires take away some of the HUGENESS of these tires. They increase the ride height over my old Bad-Year Explodathons by about 1/2". Not enough to worry about.

The trim rings are stainless steel, ribbed, purchased brand new from eBay. The hubcaps are PhoenixUSA 1309SS also in stainless steel. They fit the 16" Dexstar rims with ease...no denting, no forcing. But, it is wise to put a dab of clear RTV on at least two spots of the hubcaps to make sure they stay on...they fit snugly, but you don't want to lose one.

Here are some pics of the rims and tires. They POP!!!

I might take your idea and apply it to my trailer.
What could possibly look cooler than 2 of those wheels, 4 of those wheels!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #203
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Or 6!!!
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #204
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Great Work on this!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Goat-looks really good!

"....and match the color of my rims (the lettering I used for "Airstream" is a bit lighter in color). "

Where did you get the lettering? The Airstream raised letter logo on the front of my 2001 is shot and all my dealer can provide to replace it is a vinyl decal.

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Dang spellcheck....Goat=ggoat

Sorry....
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #207
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrel509 View Post
I bought the Sendel T03 wheels from the manufacturer on Ebay ($122 including shipping) and some nice chromed metal valve stems that fit nicely with my external TPMS.

Now this is where it gets interesting. I called Airstream's technical support line and asked, "Why did you guys choose the Michelin tires as the factory upgrade?" His reply was, "Because they are made in America." I said, "That's odd! Tirerack says they are made in Germany!" He said he would ask one of their engineers and call me back. He never did. I double checked and the Michelins are truly made in Germany.

I called Tirerack and asked to speak to a "tire expert." I asked him to show both the Michelin XPS Rib tires and the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 on his screen for the needed 225 75 R16 tires. I then had him read the fine print on each tires specifications. Here are the differences:

1. The Kumhos are 0.1 inch smaller in diameter.

2. The Kumhos weigh 37 lbs each, the Michelins weigh 49 lbs each.

3. The Michelins say, "Highway Rib Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

4. All other specifications related to load, speed, warranty, etc. are identical.

5. Lastly, the Michelins are $292 each plus shipping and the Kumhos are $115 plus shipping.

I spoke to my friend, Paul, down in Decatur, TX and discussed these Michelin tires. Paul does Airstream service. He said, in his experience, the sidewalls are very heavy on them (probably accounting for the additional weight). In addition, two trailers he is familiar had the Michelins installed in 2008 and now have sidewall cracks severe enough that the tires now need to be replaced. He indicated that these tires had run in excess of 100,000 miles and still had plenty of remaining tread. Interesting! The tread outlived the sidewalls!

Just to let y'all know, I am a Mechanical Engineer. I used to be registered in 5 states until I retired recently.

So here is what I did: I considered everything I know and I ordered the Kumhos.

I've blown out a total of 6 Goodyear Marathon's (the tire recommended and installed by Airstream) over the last two trips and I decided the Kumhos were worth the risk.

Discussion?

UPDATE!!!

We are into our second summer with the Sendel 16" wheels and Kumho tires and WE LOVE THEM! We have probably put 10,000 miles on them, so far, and with 67psi inflation, they run smooth as silk!

When we mounted the tires I had the shop balance them. In addition, I added a set of the Centramatics balancers. The combination is perfect.

I can't say enough about how great this setup rides. We used to shake all the spices out of the spice rack with our "balanced" Marathons but not any more.

I check tire temperatures with an infrared temp device and the Kumhos consistently measure lower temperatures than the Michelins on my big ass Dodge 2500 diesel.

I could not be happier!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #208
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrel509 View Post
UPDATE!!!

We are into our second summer with the Sendel 16" wheels and Kumho tires and WE LOVE THEM! We have probably put 10,000 miles on them, so far, and with 67psi inflation, they run smooth as silk!

When we mounted the tires I had the shop balance them. In addition, I added a set of the Centramatics balancers. The combination is perfect.

I can't say enough about how great this setup rides. We used to shake all the spices out of the spice rack with our "balanced" Marathons but not any more.

I check tire temperatures with an infrared temp device and the Kumhos consistently measure lower temperatures than the Michelins on my big ass Dodge 2500 diesel.

I could not be happier!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
How about the tread life? I used to buy Kumhos for my Corvette, but the tread life was always worse than the more expensive Nitto's. Curious about in other applications.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am at that crossroads-
Need tires now-
I'm at a campground in a town with 2 tire stores and a Walmart-
What do I do?
1. 15" Michelin MS/2
2. 16" zero offset wheels and Michelin LT
3. Put the spare on and go home, then order wheels/tires from the internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #210
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
16" wheels

Go home. It's all easier from there.

And use Discount Tire or a local retailer. They'll be close enough on matching Tire Rack plus a little if you know the extended price.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #211
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Go home. It's all easier from there.

And use Discount Tire or a local retailer. They'll be close enough on matching Tire Rack plus a little if you know the extended price.

And I'd rather have a commercial 16" LT.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yeah, and if I go home, we have 100 Firestone TransForce HT 225/75R16 tires in our shop.
We also have plenty of GM 16" wheels. I wonder what the offset is on those-
It has to be done before we travel again in 2 weeks.
I have noticed that the 15" Michelin MS/2 at Walmart are very reasonably priced.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #213
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Transforce is okay, but it ain't it's big brother Duravis 250 (or LTX Rib).

The LTX MS2 is going to have better grip than either of those. Same for Duravis 500. Just not as HD.

I doubt those GM wheels have proper offset. But steel wheels and some good old metal wheel covers would get you by. Moons with beauty rings would satisfy me a few years.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It might be some LTX MS/2 from Walmart.
There are 2 other tire stores in this town. One advertises Michelin.
If I decide to get 16" wheels, I'll just have 4 spares.
I had been trying to hold off till my next trip to Jackson Center to switch to 16", but I need tires right now.
One of the "Explodathons" is all bulged out and funky looking. The last thing I want is that crapola tire coming apart and tearing up the side of my trailer.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sendel T03 wheels on the way-
Will get Firestone TransForce HT LT225/75R16 tires locally when the wheels get here next week-
Which McGard lug nuts?
Which Centramatics balancers?

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi