Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hertford , North Carolina
16" rim substitute

I'm putting tires on my 65 Boles - 15" 6-lug, like Airstream, i assume

I understand these are 15" with 6-lug 5.5" pattern. SO are they compatible with like rims from Toyota trucks and others?

I think 16's would work fine and it's a lot easier to get good used LT tires. for that rim size.

Young people dump good stock tires all the time in place of the low profile rubber (no comment)

Am i missing anything?

thanks
hertfordnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I used 15" Toyota steel wheels and LT tires from my pickup on my Airstream until I could upgrade. The combination worked fine for me.
The concern, I have learned, is whether the wheels are rated high enough to carry the weight of the trailer. The weight rating is often stamped on the rim itself.
I am now using 15" LT tires on my '49 Boles Aero. Since I very often travel off surfaced roads I prefer the LT tires.
You are right about the increased options with the 16" tires.
I have found that the "good" stock tires that the kids dump are quite often the original P rated tires. Garbage, as far as I am concerned. P rated tires do not hold up to the roads I travel.
I have checked and both my trailers can use the 16' wheel/tire combination. That will be my next upgrade.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The weight rating for wheels is especially important on single axle trailers. Those carry more weight per wheel than dual axle trailers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action