Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
14" to 15" on single axle????

After much searching I can't find an instance about going from 14" to 15" wheels and tires on a single axle. I want to make this change on my Bambi if it's feasible. When it comes to buying tires it is quite a chore to find something that I feel good about in a 14".

Thought it would be good to get some ideas from those who may have done this if anyone has. As I said, couldn't find anything in my searches, all about dual axles and I'm no expert but figured maybe wheel load ratings and all that may be different for a dual set up. You tire/wheel gurus are welcome to comment here.

Found some troublesome corrosion on one of my wheels recently and I am going to replace them even if I can't go to a 15" so this is the time to figure out what can be done. As for why I'm looking at 15's instead of going to the more popular 16's, I have read that 16's wouldn't fit in the wheel well without deflating them if you had to change a tire and may cause problems fitting in the spare carrier.
The trailer came with 14" from factory, 3500lb axle 10" brakes. 5 -- 4.5 lug pattern. 2001 16' Bambi.

Thanks for input.
TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I changed our Caravel from 14 to 15. No problem at all. Just be sure you get good wheels, rated for the load, and inflation pressure of what ever tires you choose.

Get your wheels and tires from a shop that is willing to work with you to be sure that all fits well into the wheel well.

Yes, good trailer tires are much easier to find for 15 inch wheels.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Many SOB trailers have 10" brakes, 5 lug 15" wheels, so as long as the tires will clear the wheel wells, you should have no trouble. The trailers that have this setup generally have 205/75R15 tires.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Thanks all for the info. Looking at a couple wheel styles from Tredit. They have good load rating and all that. Finding the tire is the next hurdle.

I talked to a tire shop last week and inquired about 15" Michelin LTX and got this look of, this person is crazy. I'm sure there are other brands and kinds, ST or LT that would work so I'm checking on other stuff. I tried to impress upon the tire guy I was talking to that this trailer is not the same one that I use for chores around my house and yard so I'm looking for something other than whatever ST they may happen to have on the rack.

Any tire recommendations welcomed also, it's learn, research and buy week hopefully. Have a trip planned in the near future so ready to get it done.

Unfortunately, as single axle people know, we're only 1 blowout away from a real problem. That is my major concern with tires and what I choose.

Thanks much.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote