Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
This is a very interesting discussion and I appreciate the explanations presented. I am currently using a Blue Ox WD system. Seems to work well and I am satisfied.

However, has anyone who has a PP hitch and been to the CAT scales be willing to show the numbers? It's not that I doubt the information provided by those with experience but I would like to see how much of a difference it makes. My reason for asking is that my RAM truck has a lower payload that many other 1/2 T trucks.

Thanks!
We have weighed our setup many times. The late model Ram 1500's with coil spring or air suspension have axles each rated at 3900 lbs.

With a heavy load in our Airstream and some in the truck, a recent weighing gave us 3620 lbs on the front axle and 3600 lbs on the rear axle. We weighed the loaded truck before this, then the combination. With this evenly distributed weight on our Ram's axles, the truck handles and brakes very nicely, and we don't have worry about an overloaded axle.

With our loaded FC25RB (factory hitch weight 835 lbs), ProPride hitch (180 lbs), and two oversize Lifeline GPL31XT batteries in the battery box, it added 820 lbs to our Ram when w.d. was applied.

This 820 lb weight added to our Ram, even though the individual components add up to much more, is a result of the extended tongue length the ProPride hitch provides, and the effects of lifting the weight distribution bars.

Nothing disappears, there is no magic. The difference is either carried by the tow vehicle axles or the trailer axles depending on how much w.d can be applied.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
This is a very interesting discussion and I appreciate the explanations presented. I am currently using a Blue Ox WD system. Seems to work well and I am satisfied.

However, has anyone who has a PP hitch and been to the CAT scales be willing to show the numbers? It's not that I doubt the information provided by those with experience but I would like to see how much of a difference it makes. My reason for asking is that my RAM truck has a lower payload that many other 1/2 T trucks.

Thanks!

I posted a handwritten spreadsheet from a bunch of measurements I did and there was some good discussion and correction provided in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-135792-4.html

I'm not sure this will answer the question you're asking except to say I believe AS said the hitch weight was something like 830# and I'm at 980# according to these numbers. I can't say what part of that is the PP hitch and what of that is the way I've loaded my trailer (heavy on the a-frame as the FB model has all its storage under the bed in the front).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Uhm - that link is so not going to where I took it from! Maybe search for that thread by title?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Trying the link one more time:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-135792-4.html
Old 06-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry - 4 posts and it's still pointing to a fridge thread...sorry!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here's the pic I mentioned but I can't seem to link you to the awesome dialogue and evaluation in that thread after posting it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	288488
Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Abj1,

If you need to transfer more weight forward, yes you can pull more on your jacks. But also, you can add more washers on the head to get more tilt and have more transfer weight without pulling "harder" on the jacks.

And Yes, there is a point at which the jacks will stop. At maxed travel limit. Then the only way to get more transfer force is to add washers.

I prefer to have less jack travel so I utilize washers.
Thanks Sphere Guy- Question on adding the washers. Where exactly would these washers be located. I recall that when building the TV hitch inserting that pin which also included washers. Adding the washers seemed to tilt the hitch downward a bit. I assume this is the pin you're referencing? And, is it a tilt downward of the hitch that you're referencing? Thanks
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Be careful on this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abj1 View Post
Thank you. This was very helpful and starting to make sense. I definitely have some squatting in the rear of my 1/2 ton Tundra. One question I have is with regards to my WD jacks and the height with which I raise them to. Given my trailer weight and truck I was given an initial height of 6" to raise the WD Jacks to. If I were to raise them say to 7 1/2 inches does that in theory help shift more weight to the front axel? And, is there a point or max at which I should stop raising the WD jacks? Thanks Andrew
Andrew, be careful. There is such a thing as "overhitching" where you have the WD spring bars ( or equivalent on your brand of hitch) put so much torque on the system where it transfers too much weight to the front wheels and relieve so much weight from the TV rear wheels that the rig becomes unstable, leading to dangerous sway.

I think you should start with the method of measuring initial distances of front and rear wheel wells fron the ground and adjusting your hitch so that both front and rear of the TV drop by the same amount. Of course this is assuming you're not using air bag adjustable suspension. This is a starting point. It's best to weigh your rig to get the real distribution. There's info in the AS manuals and look at the hitch mfg manual.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Andrew, be careful. There is such a thing as "overhitching" where you have the WD spring bars ( or equivalent on your brand of hitch) put so much torque on the system where it transfers too much weight to the front wheels and relieve so much weight from the TV rear wheels that the rig becomes unstable, leading to dangerous sway.

I think you should start with the method of measuring initial distances of front and rear wheel wells fron the ground and adjusting your hitch so that both front and rear of the TV drop by the same amount. Of course this is assuming you're not using air bag adjustable suspension. This is a starting point. It's best to weigh your rig to get the real distribution. There's info in the AS manuals and look at the hitch mfg manual.
Good warning. Distributing excessive weight to the front axle by cranking up too hard on the spring bars can be dangerous. It puts a load on the front axle that it was never meant to carry. It overloads the front suspension components and strains the steering mechanism to the point they can fail. Alternatively, with too much weight transferred forward thru the receiver hitch, the welds on the hitch might fail.

Taking multiple weigh-ins at a truck scale can be tedious and time consuming, so much so that most trailer owners never get around to it. Using your tape measure to take fender measurements OTOH is a lot more convenient method and one which any owner can easily perform. With your TV unloaded and no trailer attached, measure the fender height above the front and rear wheel centers. The front measurement will be less than the rear, the net difference being somewhere around an 1" to 1-1/2" in most cases. Now put the WD shank with the ball mount into the hitch receiver, and drop the trailer onto the ball. Re-measure both fender heights, then lift the spring bars until the net difference between the front and rear measurements is within 1/2 the unloaded difference. If the TV and trailer aren't level, adjust the ball height up or down until the trailer floor is level with the rear of the TV.

NOTE: if the net difference as measured above is 1/4" or less after dropping the trailer onto the ball and before cranking on the spring bars, you really don't need a WDH at all. Buy a good electronic sway control with independent trailer wheel braking and motor on!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Guessing at how to set up a WD hitch is a really bad idea. There are a number of ways you can get things messed up. Either get the right manual for the hitch you have and follow the instructions there or have a good mechanic / dealer (who works with that brand every day) do the work for you.

Once you have the procedure in the manual done and it's all set up, go over to the scales to check the result. It's going to be a two pass thing (truck with no tow, then truck plus tow) so plan ahead. Both passes should have the truck loaded the same way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
We're at the tail end of a trip through IN and OH from GA. Finding an open weigh station is not easy. I'm surprised how few stations there are. My hitch was set up at the dealer so I'm confident it's done right. I still want to know my weights, though.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Just in case there is any confusion. You don't want a roadside weigh station run by state troopers or the local constabulary. CAT scale is what you want. They are often at truck stops, and there's even an app to help you find them.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

...snip...
It's going to be a two pass thing (truck with no tow, then truck plus tow) so plan ahead. Both passes should have the truck loaded the same way.

Bob

I think you need 3 to really know what's going on.

1) full rig with full WD applied
2) full rig with no WD applied
3) truck alone

(since you'd be traveling to the scales, I'd do them in that order to make it easy on yourself)

In reverse order what this tells you is the weight of the axles on your TV as is, then what happens when you drop the trailer on the rear end of your TV (in particular, how much weight comes off the steer axle of your TV) and finally, how much of that weight did you restore to the steer axle (as well as how balanced the whole rig is). You can also calculate an approximate tongue weight from those measures.

Ron Gratz posted a full procedure and several people have posted spreadsheets you can use.

I'm geeky - I think it's a fun thing to do once a year!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

3) truck alone

(since you'd be traveling to the scales, I'd do them in that order to make it easy on yourself)

In reverse order what this tells you is the weight of the axles on your TV as is, then what happens when you drop the trailer on the rear end of your TV (in particular, how much weight comes off the steer axle of your TV) and finally, how much of that weight did you restore to the steer axle (as well as how balanced the whole rig is). You can also calculate an approximate tongue weight from those measures.

Ron Gratz posted a full procedure and several people have posted spreadsheets you can use.

I'm geeky - I think it's a fun thing to do once a year!
Hi

Is't fun to watch what happens as you play with the hitch. Starting from zero is the normal point in any setup procedure. It is unclear what useful data you get from the "no WD" step when re-checking a finished setup.

Bob
Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Hi

Is't fun to watch what happens as you play with the hitch. Starting from zero is the normal point in any setup procedure. It is unclear what useful data you get from the "no WD" step when re-checking a finished setup.

Bob

Yes it's fun [emoji3]

And I probably wasn't clear. Solo truck, truck with trailer "on the ball", truck with trailer WD applied. Those are the 3 to get the baseline. If you find that using X links or Y inches on a Hensley jack doesn't meet the need, you'd dial in more and weigh again. No point going back to no WD again....
Old 07-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:

3) truck alone

The CAT scale weigh-in, if you can find one nearby, is way more than 2 or 3 passes...You need to weigh each axle by itself on the scale, plus the TV's combined 2-axle weight together on the scale. Then weigh all the axles again both with and without the WDH. Furthermore, unless you are lucky enough that your TV front axle weight comes out within the GAWR spec with the WDH engaged, you will have to re-weigh one or more axles again after re-adjusting the WDH or possibly re-loading or re-positioning weight in the TV and/or trailer. You are just pissing away time and money if you don't do it right....which gets us back to me original contention that very few owners ever use the CAT scale (or use it correctly).
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yes it's fun [emoji3]

And I probably wasn't clear. Solo truck, truck with trailer "on the ball", truck with trailer WD applied. Those are the 3 to get the baseline. If you find that using X links or Y inches on a Hensley jack doesn't meet the need, you'd dial in more and weigh again. No point going back to no WD again....
Hi

I think we're talking about two somewhat different things here. I'm simply talking about the minimum data to check that things are OK, not a full blown "let's adjust everything" process. Put another way - if I set it up by the "measure the fenders" approach, a check to see if I got it right. The math between "no trailer" and "WD applied" is what answers that question. The "no WD" numbers drop out of the equation.

Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Will Pro Pride Hitch Add Tongue Weight?

Quote:
Hi

I think we're talking about two somewhat different things here. I'm simply talking about the minimum data to check that things are OK, not a full blown "let's adjust everything" process. Put another way - if I set it up by the "measure the fenders" approach, a check to see if I got it right. The math between "no trailer" and "WD applied" is what answers that question. The "no WD" numbers drop out of the equation.

Bob

Oh. I guess I don't know how to do the math on that one - like on mine, the fender barely moves (using the fender measurement approach) but I can see on the scales I lose 4-500# off the front end just by connecting the trailer (no WD applied). I guess if you're saying the truck alone has X on the steer, then seeing trailer with applied WD that has X on the steer is what works, yes?

Always fun to learn more ways to do this! [emoji3]
Old 07-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
My hitch was set up at the dealer so I'm confident it's done right.
Hmmmmm....
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Will Pro Pride Hitch Add Tongue Weight?

That assumes the dealer's technician knows what to do, and did it right this time.

I'm not that confident with any third party working on my rig. I am the final QA department and I double check everything, even stuff I do myself.

Paranoia? Possibly, but I didn't get this old being complacent or totally trusting.

"Always assume the gun is loaded..."
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote