Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Oh. I guess I don't know how to do the math on that one - like on mine, the fender barely moves (using the fender measurement approach) but I can see on the scales I lose 4-500# off the front end just by connecting the trailer (no WD applied). I guess if you're saying the truck alone has X on the steer, then seeing trailer with applied WD that has X on the steer is what works, yes?

Always fun to learn more ways to do this! [emoji3]
Hi

You might want to actually *look* at the equations before you take pot shots ...I guess you were to busy to bother.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You might want to actually *look* at the equations before you take pot shots ...I guess you were to busy to bother.

Bob

I think you misunderstood me completely!

No potshots there intended whatsoever! I honestly didn't know how you were calculating it and guessed it might be what I suggested - and if I was right on my guess - I was honestly appreciating learning a new way to do this.

Not sure what I said that led you to that inference but 180 degrees from my intent...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Cool

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me completely!

No potshots there intended whatsoever! I honestly didn't know how you were calculating it and guessed it might be what I suggested - and if I was right on my guess - I was honestly appreciating learning a new way to do this.

Not sure what I said that led you to that inference but 180 degrees from my intent...
I wouldn't be too hasty to buy into UncleBob's logic...or whatever it is. I'm not so sure I follow it either. If he's saying what I think he's saying, it's wrong. If your front axle weight without WD applied is x lbs, then (X - 500) lbs with WD, you can't just crank down the WD until the front axle again weights X. The "no WD numbers" do not simply "drop out" of the "equation" (Huh???) The TV and trailer combo may still not ride level.

Now if you were trying to explain something else, Uncle, it would illuminate matters if you could try again and explain them rather more coherently.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
CAT Scale is segmented. Steer Axle, Drive Axle, Trailer Axle. All three at once.

It is not difficult, tedious or time-consuming. Phone app for locator and to use the scale itself. I'm on them weekly any number of times.

The old rule of WD was 1/3 of TW to each of those Scale segments (where the Drive Axle is still 10% heavier than Steer).

Pickups aren't as easy to set, but anyone running a near empty bed (by weight) should question why they use a pickup in the first place.

Rough it in at home with fender measurements. Use the Scale and the chart I borrowed from Ron Gratz six, seven years ago and posted to this forum , and get the numbers.

Several threads with Cat Scale in title. I bumped one recently.

With all three tickets, also post pics of rig on level ground. Side view to show vehicles attitude. Might be someone spots something to alter for better performance.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #45
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
. . . My hitch was set up at the dealer so I'm confident it's done right. . .
"Danger, Will Robinson, danger, danger!"
Robot, Lost in Space, circa 1960-ish

"You don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect" ADM HG Rickover
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not see why you really need the pass across the scales with the trailer on the ball but the WD not hooked up? What really matters is the axle weights unhitched and hitched. I do not really care what the tongue weight is, for instance, because I do know the weight the trailer hitched actually adds to the truck. I have weighed my rig twice now and did not do the pass with the wd not hooked up. I know I am not going to run it that way.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I do not see why you really need the pass across the scales with the trailer on the ball but the WD not hooked up? What really matters is the axle weights unhitched and hitched. I do not really care what the tongue weight is, for instance, because I do know the weight the trailer hitched actually adds to the truck. I have weighed my rig twice now and did not do the pass with the wd not hooked up. I know I am not going to run it that way.
It comes down to the load on the tires. That's all that any of this is about.

The WD installed but not tensioned shows Load imposed by TT.

Helps isolates the TW.

Guesstimates are a bad idea in that isolating rig handling or braking characteristics are then subject to false data during diagnosis.

On a slow day I've been known to unhitch while on the scale. Get permission and work out a plan to chock tires and work fast. Used tongue jack, and then wood blocks under hitch ball receiver. I wanted to crosscheck other measurements.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 AM   #48
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
SWAG, Super Wild A$& Guesstimate, as in, "Based on my experience, (SWAG) of course you can pull that trailer with that TV. Just sign here . . ."
Old 07-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, this gets really boring .. sorry about that ....I'll try not to go nuts (sorry about that as well).

With no trailer you get A, B and C (front axle, rear axle, and trailer)

With hitch and no WD, you get D, E, and F (loaded front, loaded rear, and loaded trailer)

With WD on you get G, H and K (WD front, WD rear and WD trailer)

You know for sure that A + B + C = D + E + F = G + H + K. It has to, the *total* weights are all the same.

Once you are done, there are some things you want to check. Again, this is just about checking things.

1) Are any axles overloaded? that's just G,H,K
2) Am I putting the desired added weight on both TV axles? A-G vs B-H
(the total added would be (A-G) + (B-H) if you want that)
3) Did I take weight off the front? that would be G < A

The D's E's and F's never get into it. Since all the sums are always the same, checking that sum isn't really adding anything to a check. If you are rolling over the scales once a year to see that the distribution is still OK, you don't need the one in the middle. You do need A,B,C simply to verify that your loading is still the same a year later. The same is true if you are simply checking a dealer install or something similar. You are not trying to do it from scratch. You are just checking the result.

If you *wanted* to make a minor adjustment (one link / washer / whatever) your objective is still to impact out the A-G vs B-H numbers (or just G and H). For a one washer change you already know what you are going to try. There really *isn't* a lot stuff to adjust for fine tuning on most hitches. D,E, and F are fun to see, but they don't add anything you don't already know to a check or a fine tune.

Bob (still trying not to go absolutely and utterly bonking nuts ... sorry about that ...)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #50
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Uncle Bob, Hard to port! You're swimming in the Sargoso Alphabet Sea. Love your logic.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, this gets really boring .. sorry about that ....I'll try not to go nuts (sorry about that as well).

With no trailer you get A, B and C (front axle, rear axle, and trailer)

With hitch and no WD, you get D, E, and F (loaded front, loaded rear, and loaded trailer)

With WD on you get G, H and K (WD front, WD rear and WD trailer)

You know for sure that A + B + C = D + E + F = G + H + K. It has to, the *total* weights are all the same.

Once you are done, there are some things you want to check. Again, this is just about checking things.

1) Are any axles overloaded? that's just G,H,K
2) Am I putting the desired added weight on both TV axles? A-G vs B-H
(the total added would be (A-G) + (B-H) if you want that)
3) Did I take weight off the front? that would be G < A

The D's E's and F's never get into it. Since all the sums are always the same, checking that sum isn't really adding anything to a check. If you are rolling over the scales once a year to see that the distribution is still OK, you don't need the one in the middle. You do need A,B,C simply to verify that your loading is still the same a year later. The same is true if you are simply checking a dealer install or something similar. You are not trying to do it from scratch. You are just checking the result.

If you *wanted* to make a minor adjustment (one link / washer / whatever) your objective is still to impact out the A-G vs B-H numbers (or just G and H). For a one washer change you already know what you are going to try. There really *isn't* a lot stuff to adjust for fine tuning on most hitches. D,E, and F are fun to see, but they don't add anything you don't already know to a check or a fine tune.

Bob (still trying not to go absolutely and utterly bonking nuts ... sorry about that ...)

At the risk of appearing any other way than intended - let me say that first, I appreciate your explanation. Second, I want to explain why *I* would want to use some of these differently - if your mileage varies, I have no argument with that...

In your list of letters, F minus K (if I'm following you correctly) will give you a good approximation of tongue weight which, depending on how you load the trailer, can shift over time. Since *I* want that figure to be between 10-15% of F, and since AS says the tongue can't be over 1000# (or the max of my tow vehicle's hitch - which is a confusing standard) I need the D E F numbers (or a dedicated tongue scale).

I have no problem with you if you don't need them and again if you're deriving them differently and I'm missing the math, I'd welcome learning how you're doing that for my own education - I'm not judging or being a wiseass - just explaining what I think - and may not know/understand about what you think.

If any of that is offensive to you I assure you that's not my intent.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
"Danger, Will Robinson, danger, danger!"
Robot, Lost in Space, circa 1960-ish

"You don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect" ADM HG Rickover
I inspected it as well on CAT scales. Between that and the truck being level, it looks good. The guys at Colonial do this every day and know what they're doing.

BTW I've heard interesting stories about ole Hyman's (Rickover) interviewing techniques. Interesting bird.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, I was interviewed by him and met him when I was in uniform on two other occasions. He was a crazy old coot!

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Crazy like a fox, imho.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
At the risk of appearing any other way than intended - let me say that first, I appreciate your explanation. Second, I want to explain why *I* would want to use some of these differently - if your mileage varies, I have no argument with that...

In your list of letters, F minus K (if I'm following you correctly) will give you a good approximation of tongue weight which, depending on how you load the trailer, can shift over time. Since *I* want that figure to be between 10-15% of F, and since AS says the tongue can't be over 1000# (or the max of my tow vehicle's hitch - which is a confusing standard) I need the D E F numbers (or a dedicated tongue scale).

I have no problem with you if you don't need them and again if you're deriving them differently and I'm missing the math, I'd welcome learning how you're doing that for my own education - I'm not judging or being a wiseass - just explaining what I think - and may not know/understand about what you think.

If any of that is offensive to you I assure you that's not my intent.
Hi

No problem ... I've had my morning coffee and am flying level at this point

F is the weight on the trailer axle. K is also the weight on the trailer axle as measured on the scale. Similarly the other letters each represent weights measured on the CAT scale pads.

Effective tongue weight is what is transferred to the TV. It would be (G+H) - (A+B). It also is the difference between either of those and (D+E). My assumption is that you want to know the weight transfer once you are done and running down the road. Knowing it in a condition (no WD) that you will not be actually be using is interesting, but not vital.

Indeed knowing that you are not overloading the receiver is important. It's worth checking if you believe you are anywhere near close. Again, the *assumption* is that the receiver is seeing the added weight put onto the axles. That's behind any simple CAT scale based approach.

Bob
Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
You guys are giving me a headache!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
You guys are giving me a headache!

I gave myself a headache! [emoji23]
Old 08-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tongue weight is a constant and does not magically disappear.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #59
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Why would we measure the tongue weight at the end of the shank when the tongue ends at the ball coupler. Or if we are asking if the PP/H hitch adds weight, why would we not compare the weight of another hitch with a similar length shank to the PP/H configuration? Why do other designs not use a long shank if it reduces tongue weight? Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPH hitch.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	292530  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Will Pro Pride Hitch Add Tongue Weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abj1 View Post
Hey there-

Looking to get a PP hitch and curious if it will add substantial tongue weight. if so does anyone know how much tongue weight it adds?

Thanks, Andrew

It adds 200 lbs. My factory tongue weight is 903 lbs. With the ProPride attached, including the stinger, it measured 1100 lbs. using a tongue scale and verified on the CAT scales.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote