Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
Is anyone saying a 3/4 ton diesel truck is too much truck for a 23'-27' mid to late 70's AS?
This post is not intended to be sarcastic, it is just my observations:

You can beat yourself to near death reading the threads on TTs TVs and hitches on this forum. You will find as many opinions as there are stars in the sky. (yes, that is a slight exaggeration). In the end, YOU will have to decide whose opinion to trust or decide to make your own opinion.

To answer your question:

Yes, some people say that a "3/4 ton diesel truck is too much truck for a 23'-27' mid to late 70's AS". You will find what seems to be, a comparable number of people saying that the first group of people don't know what they are talking about. There a lot of "facts" quoted in the discussions, but most are only verified by more words.

My suggestion is to go to the towing forum and pick a few interesting sounding threads to read. Take note of the different opinions offered as facts, and then either decide to join one side or the other, or find a middle ground that makes sense to you.

I would tell you where I stand on this on this, but that would just be one more opinion.

Regards,

Ken

Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
RV -- Lady
I have a 1 ton F350. The PO gave me a hitch and bars with the trailer at purchase. The bars were Reese 1000 lb ders. On the way home when crossing some bad bridges(rough approches and exits,this really flexed those 1000 lb bars and the resulting rebound almost caused me to lose control. NOW I'm experienced with weights and balances and being a truck driver(owner operator) for 45 yrs I think I've probably BEGIN THERE .DONE THAT.
Thats was the first time I used those bars and the Last. I immedialety sold em.
I had at home(which I didn't take with me) a Reese Straight Line Dual cam that I had bought for a box /car trailer. The bars are 550 or 600 lbs ,I'm not just sure which. But with the help of a state certified scale I was able to set up the WD system to give us in the TV and the trailer a smooth ocean wave type ride even on the roughest interstates.
This is my experience for what it may be worth. The decisions are completely up to you.
Roger

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I use that test, "as a rough starting point".

The point is, if the coupler does not move vertically, as least to some reasonable degree, then your "over hitched" and/or over rigged.

Experience, is always superior to opinions.

Insurance companies data, supports the experience.

What may work for one setup may be quite the opposite for another.

Safety is the "issue", not opinions.

Andy
Agreed, but I would add: Engineering, Mfr's specs, SCALES and experience are better than opinions.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
One of the great features of the Airstream trailer is aircraft type, light weight construction. But this makes the trailer relatively delicate. With too stiff hitch bars and too rigid tow vehicle and hitch you can literally pound your trailer to pieces, causing loose rivets, bent frame, twisted sheet metal etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
RV -- Lady
I have a 1 ton F350. The PO gave me a hitch and bars with the trailer at purchase. The bars were Reese 1000 lb ders. On the way home when crossing some bad bridges(rough approches and exits,this really flexed those 1000 lb bars and the resulting rebound almost caused me to lose control. NOW I'm experienced with weights and balances and being a truck driver(owner operator) for 45 yrs I think I've probably BEGIN THERE .DONE THAT.
Thats was the first time I used those bars and the Last. I immedialety sold em.
I had at home(which I didn't take with me) a Reese Straight Line Dual cam that I had bought for a box /car trailer. The bars are 550 or 600 lbs ,I'm not just sure which. But with the help of a state certified scale I was able to set up the WD system to give us in the TV and the trailer a smooth ocean wave type ride even on the roughest interstates.
This is my experience for what it may be worth. The decisions are completely up to you.
Roger
Roger.

If the Reese bars measure 1 inch on the top side as it enters the trunnion, and your using the dual cam, then the rating your using is 600 pounds.

Without the dual cam, that same bar rating drops to 550 pounds.

Andy
Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Another thread succumbing to the dreaded "over-hitched, over-trucked" argument...

To date, I've seen two camps in this discussion: one is based on manufacturer ratings and scaled weights, the other is based on anecdotal "evidence" and opinions.

I second Ken's advice; there's a ton (no pun intended) of really interesting threads on this. Do a search, just don't use the airforums "search"- it'll point you to fifty threads on dutch-oven cooking, or surge-protectors. Use google engine and "site:airforums.com" qualifier.