Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Fud?

What does "FUD" mean? Sorry if I'm not up on my internet acronymns...but I'm not familiar with that one.

Inland Andy has some excellent postings on the subject of weight distribution and anti sway. They are two separate and distinct issues.

A small trailer and a big tow vehicle and you can easily get away without either one. But as the size of the trailer goes up and the size of the tow vehicle goes down, it gets more and more important. Say you're pulling a 19' Bambi with an F-350 crew cab dualie...you don't need either one. Say you're pulling a 31' Excella with a Grand Cherokee...you need both.

It took me awhile to grasp the relationship of the spring bar size to the tow vehicle. But Inland Andy explained it very well. Anyone interested should look up his postings on the matter. They're very good.

I've also made it a point to look at the other rigs in the campgrounds. I see a lot of Reese products. I used to use a Dual Cam and it worked fine. I now use an Equal-I-Zer and really like it. I do believe the Hensely Arrow is the best, but it's very expensive. I honestly haven't seen that many "death traps" out there. I have seen a few dusies though

I'm still a big fan of the "Slimp Dolly." Get one of those and you don't need either WD or Anti Sway; don't need a 3/4 ton truck either. Good idea from the past...

Hey, my hero is from Calgary Alberta; Bret "The Hitman" Heart. Greatest wrestler of all time

take care,
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #22

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I think that horse is a mule.

He's certainly hung like one.

err...I mean hanging like one.

Sorry just couldn't help myself.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
re "and the liability is tremendous when a trailer with company logos plastered all over it runs Amok." - a good example of more FUD mongering with no facts behind it.

re: " If you were sitting on my side of the desk taking the phone calls you might have a different opinion of the problems out there." - why doesn't this show in the statistics about crashes put out by the state? Who should I believe? Someone who sits behind a phone and tells me about a selected subset or state statisticians who look at the entire set of data? Or maybe my own eyes, which tend to indicate the state research is more in line with reality?

re "I'm surprised how hard it is to find anyone offering a safe towing clinic." - its as near as your phone book or an I'net search engine. - But as we can see from many posts in this thread, even getting 'educated' isn't much help and is often misguided. Perhaps that is why many don't seek out such 'learning.'

And then there is the 'Political Correctness' factor - if you don't toe the line with the FUD mongering and have the audacity to bring in questions that don't fit, look what happens! It is not even possible to discuss topics like this and the factors involved.

When do you need a Weight Distributing hitch? There are no guidelines here, no discussion of relevant factors, no mention of trade-offs and risk assessment, no mention of how various levels of need are felt by the driver, no tests that can be done to assess level of need. None of this, just anecdote and absolutes and extreme cases.

The education should start here yet on many topics like this, it ends in a manner that propagates the ignorance, IMHO.
Posting useful information as you suggest, has always lead to arguments and unpleasant comments, from a number of owners.

The "nah", the "can't be", the " no way", the "that's old info", the "your wrong", the "I don't have a sway", the "I don't need a sway control", the "my truck can handle the problem", the "I don't need a load equalizing hitch", are just some of the past comments, that writing a good article, as you suggest, would create tons of negative comments, and would be a basic waste of time.

It would also probably lead to that thread "QUICKLY" being closed, as some have in the past.

Two things are for certain when it comes to load equalizing hitches and sway controls, for many owners.

1. They don't believe in Physics.

2. They are sacred, therefore nothing could possibly go wrong, for them.

Some owners that are Forum members, have made suggested changes, and at least all of them that have taken the time to make a post after "the change" have yet to say anything other than "positive" results.

I have recently written an article, that may or may not be published, in it's present form, in a national magazine, about hitches. It's historical and based on many facts and data.

Perhaps I should post it in our web site, for those to read, that are intested in "better and safer towing."

Load equalizing hitches, and their proper use, is not a rocket science subject. It is "basic Physics" and nothing more.

The huge mystery, of today is why so many are dis-believers. Yesteryear, had tons of believers back in the days
of tow vehicles being typically a large car.

Maybe it might be because of the "MYTHS" created by advertisers, who claim, their trucks can do "anything."

So much for creative advertizing, and kicking to the curb, "facts and data".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Please! A weight distribution hitch is needed when the weight of the the hitch on the tow vehicle begins to remove weight off the front wheels and thus affects steering and control.
right on! but this refutes the story of the thread that does not address this basic concept. Steering and control (and acceleration) are not yes or no things but rather cover a spectrum that is influenced by very many factors. No one solution fits everyone.

Quote:
If you want to claim there are negative trade offs to using WD, then tell us what they are. Ive never come across a single one.
Have you seen the threads about people who figured a little was good so more was better and they used spring bars rated for well beyond their needs? I have a friend who moved from a 5th wheel to an Airstream and ditched the load leveling hitch because it caused a rough ride and had the trailer cushions on the floor. Have you looked at how many drivers moving rigs from manufacturer to dealer use load leveling and sway controls?

Perhaps another benefit is the false sense of safety - as we see here, it appears some think the proper hitch will make them safe and that may lead to overconfidence on the road.

As Andy says, there is physics involved. Look at that recent thread with the F150 sway control braking video - notice what they say is the primary cause of trailer sway. Also look at what Can Am Andy describes from his track tests.

You also have to be careful with people spouting physics, though. I have seen some offering grad theses from ME students with impressive mathematical models. The flaw is in the basic assumptions and it is amazing how few notice - or care. Then there is the problem of definitions, especially with sway where people have problems separating road handling with catastrophic incidents.

There are also significant problems with problem reports and crash stories - this is why crash investigation requires a bit more than somebody's say so or a simple compilation of events.

Quote:
2. They are sacred, therefore nothing could possibly go wrong, for them.
I could say things about the quality of this argument but it wouldn't be complementary so I won't. I do note, however that it turns the point of this discussion on its face. The point of the OP was that more regulation was needed to force everyone to follow a certain set of rules without regard to any ameliorating factors.

The reality is that there is always a risk. The vehicle you choose, the way you rig it, the way you drive, your experience, what distracts you on the road, all of these and more influence your safety on the road.

The very fact that the people who are being denigrated and impugned in this thread are going down the road and not off on the side upside down or jacknifed should say a lot about the spreading of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) on this topic.

Then of course, there is reaction to the heretical idea that reason and moderation should apply. That is also interesting.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
No doubt there is a need for WD in certain cases. Honda engineers do not recommend WD as long as you stay within the load parameters outlined in the owners manual for the Ridgeline. I will not presume to have greater knowledge than they have. Having towed our Safari for almost two years now under all kinds of conditions I never felt unsafe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014a.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	81217  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
re: " If you were sitting on my side of the desk taking the phone calls you might have a different opinion of the problems out there." - why doesn't this show in the statistics about crashes put out by the state? Who should I believe? Someone who sits behind a phone and tells me about a selected subset or state statisticians who look at the entire set of data? Or maybe my own eyes, which tend to indicate the state research is more in line with reality?
re:"why doesn't this show in the statistics put out by the state?"
Statistics don't talk to people in order to form an opinion.

re:"who should I believe?"
You should believe whatever you'd like to believe as long as those beliefs don't harm or infringe on others.

re:"Someone who sits behind a phone and tells me about a selected subset or state statisticians who look at the entire set of data?"
I don't think I said anywhere in the sentence you quoted that you should believe anyone. However, I did say you MIGHT have a different opinion.

re:"Or maybe my own eyes, which tend to indicate the state research is more in line with reality?"
Yes, our own eyes are ALWAYS in line with our own reality.

I'd be REALLY interested to read this state research. Can you point me to where it is published.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I really like my Equalizer 4-Point WD, Sway Control hitch. I've been using it for 6 years now and have been very happy with it. Yes, there is a better hitch out there but it costs A LOT more than the Equilizer.

I, too, like to see what others are using (or not using) for WD and anti-sway control on the highways. What is see more often than not is frightening!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Lack of education is a big factor. I am selling my 5000 lb 26' SOB trailer right now. I have already been asked if it can towed by a mini van. Unfortunately there are alot of RV salespeople who are misinformed or just simply want to make a sale. No matter what you have, some of them will tell you that you can tow a big heavy trailer with it.
Anything with a unibody will have difficulty towing a trailer that requires WD. The body is just not safely up to it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Perhaps another benefit is the false sense of safety - as we see here, it appears some think the proper hitch will make them safe and that may lead to overconfidence on the road.
Safe is the ultimate.

"SAFER" is the choice word.

Quote:

You also have to be careful with people spouting physics, though. I have seen some offering grad theses from ME students with impressive mathematical models. The flaw is in the basic assumptions and it is amazing how few notice - or care. Then there is the problem of definitions, especially with sway where people have problems separating road handling with catastrophic incidents.
Anything ever offered as answers to interesting questions, "always have the no experience NAY SAYERS."

Quote:
There are also significant problems with problem reports and crash stories - this is why crash investigation requires a bit more than somebody's say so or a simple compilation of events.
Who has ever investigated a large number of "loss of control accidents" that would be credit worthy, in your opinion. Your expressions would indicate "no one."

Quote:
I could say things about the quality of this argument but it wouldn't be complementary so I won't. I do note, however that it turns the point of this discussion on its face. The point of the OP was that more regulation was needed to force everyone to follow a certain set of rules without regard to any ameliorating factors.
Perhaps you would be willing to do the research, and make posts or write articles about hitching?????

But of course, I am sure you understand, that many people will argue and take you to task, and use 99 cents words describing what you did as being pure nonsence, with no merit, fact or foundation, at least in their opinion. Then you would know how it would feel to be shoved over a cliff.
Quote:

The reality is that there is always a risk. The vehicle you choose, the way you rig it, the way you drive, your experience, what distracts you on the road, all of these and more influence your safety on the road.
How do you research a persons towing experience and their distractions?

Quote:

The very fact that the people who are being denigrated and impugned in this thread are going down the road and not off on the side upside down or jacknifed should say a lot about the spreading of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) on this topic.
I see hitching or rigging situations that are incorrect, almost everyday. The typical owner sees one, "theirs".

"FUD" would be an interesting addition to data. Who could possible come up with those parameters, and prove their validity, every time someone questions them?

Gosh, there are many owners who will always challenge anything ever said about "how to" with load equalizing hitches. They are certainly entitled to their opinions.

I wonder how many of those same people, think drunk driving, is a "MYTH," because they do it, without any problem.

I believe I will expand my web site, to include an article about hitching, that has already been written.

Then some of the dis-believers, may change their thoughts.

IF THAT ARTICLE SAVES BUT ONE LIFE OR INJURY, OR LOSS OF CONTROL ACCIDENT, THEN IT DID IT'S INTENDED JOB.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
IF THAT ARTICLE SAVES BUT ONE LIFE OR INJURY, OR LOSS OF CONTROL ACCIDENT, THEN IT DID IT'S INTENDED JOB.

Andy

Applause...
Tu ne cede malis
Old 05-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I try to see what kind of hitches people use when towing travel trailers, horse trailers, boat trailers and small trailers. Barb has to be driving for me to notice and I have to remember to look. It seems that only people with travel trailers are using WD hitches even though horse trailers can be long and very heavy. Boat and snowmobile and trailers full of bricks can be pretty heavy too. Some are swaying down the road, most are not. Some may have a sway control device on the far side of the tongue I can't see; sometimes, but not often, I do see one on the side I can see. I don't pay that much attention to travel trailers, but do look when they are swaying, but I don't see many swaying.

Since this is completely anecdotal, it only shows me that some people don't use any kind of WD hitch or sway control, and they mostly have no problem when I see them, and fewer do have sway problems (whether they know it or not, and whether their knuckles are white, I don't know). In an emergency, perhaps a WD hitch or sway control would make a difference; I can't say.

Some people do posts stating a particular brand of WD hitch was awful and once they got another brand, life was good. I don't know if the first hitch was set up wrong and the second was set up right and that is the difference, not the hitch. I do note that WD hitches seem to inspire almost the emotional attachment that trucks and football teams do. I can understand truck-love, but loving a hitch may indicate a deeper emotional problem. It may be time for an intervention.

I have a WD hitch because I read about them on the Forum. Maybe the dealer would have recommended it, if only because it's profit thing. Not everyone knows about Forums, not everyone has a computer, or knows how to find things on the internet. If a novice buys from a private party, a WD hitch may or may not be part of the deal. Some spend as much money as they can for the trailer and can spend no more on a hitch.

So, I have to agree with bryanl on one point—there's a lot of subjective stuff about hitches. But it appears to me that the various WD hitches do have methods to control sway that look credible to me. The part about distributing weight to the TV frame is a bit more arcane, but I think I get it. I didn't buy it because of FUD, an acronym I'm not all that attached to as it reminds me of Elmer Fudd.

Thus, I'm glad I bought it and the trailer follows me without problems, even when the arrangement is not perfect and needs some adjustments.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm pretty sure we aren't ever going to agree on a standard for safe towing. On one side we have years of experience, on the other we have analytical statistics and physics.

The experience side always states that they can predict the future based on looking at what happened in the past. The analytical side believes they can fully understand the issue with free-body diagrams and rigorous application of physics.

Both arguments have weaknesses. On the one hand, experience can only offer a thesis about cause and effect, and shouldn't extrapolate beyond the the limits of what has gone before. The analytical approach, on the other hand, usually depends on a set of simplifying assumptions and limiting conditions.

I like to read both sides, but I find there is a wide gap between the two. What really grates is when the two sides intrude into each others turf to try to win converts. When the "experience" side starts to claim physics as their proof, they should be willing to write out the formulas and do the math. When the "analytical side" tries to expand into the real world, they usually fall short because they can't account for all the unknowns.

You need to decide which type of data fits your own personality. If you always believe the "voice of experience" then go with that group. If you are the scientific or analytical type, you should pitch your tent with that group. Lets just agree that each group has strength and weaknesses, and neither has all the answers. Just pick a group and go with them. Stop trying to find the middle ground, it doesn't exist on this forum.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
The only problem I have with the experience side is that experience can breed complacency. If I've heard it once I've heard it 1000 times. It usually goes something like, "I've towed for X years and never had a problem. Then, all of a sudden..."

If one is going to base decisions on experience alone then one should train for all the possibilities that may arise in the "experience." This is what firefighters, police, military and a number of other people do in order to have the necessary tools to react when the experience is going to call on their experience.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mark, I agree there are the types you describe, but I think there more types: experienced analysts, analytical experienced people, and also people who have no idea what they're talking about, just for a few types. Of course the experienced people may need analysis of a different kind, and the analytical people may be nothing more than anal. Middle ground isn't about averaging reports, or trying to blend it all. It may be right, or not.

People can post a formula, but I won't understand it, but if a bunch of people who did understand agreed with it, I might believe the results. Experience can be useful, but there are experienced people who have been deluding themselves all their lives, so, again, I try to be careful in accepting those conclusions too. I just try to understand as best I can the arguments of all sides and make my own decisions. I guess that's what fits my personality.

Gene
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Gene,

I think you're right, there is a group of people who take something from both sides and come up with a good synthesis.

There are also those who try to make an argument based on the SAVE* principle (as opposed to the FUD principle).

*Safety, Ad Verecundiam, - A sense of security, based on false authority.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #36
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Education

I know if you buy a new ATV or other similar equipment, the dealer strongly encourages you to take a safety course. When I bought my ATV, I got a $150 discount and free helmet for taking the course. Maybe something like that could be done with travel trailers.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Or maybe you should have to take a safety course to get an endorsement on your license to allow you to drive an RV. People need special training to get CDLs or to drive buses, how come any joe who can lay out the cash can drive off the lot pulling a 40+ft rig?

The people selling the RVs seem to have differing opinions about what can tow their rigs. See AS claim that the 20ft flying cloud can be towed by smaller more gas efficient vehicles - I have no idea what they're thinking there. What smaller more gas efficient vehicles can tow a 5000# trailer? Likewise car salesman have no idea what their vehicles can tow, so they are likely as not to steer the buyer wrong too. And then the towing capacities seem to be influenced by everything BUT how much it can actually tow, and even vary for the same vehicle in different contries. No wonder people are confused about what sort of hitch to use!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's what happens when you don't use proper WD and anti-sway control. This accident occured at Sunset Pass on the I-17 north of Phoenix.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TT Accident 2 I-17 6-17-07.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	81234   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT Accident 3 I-17 6-17-07.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	81235  

Name:	TT Accident I-17 6-17-07.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	81236  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #39
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I use a heavy duty truck to tow with. I just feel better about it and it suits the needs of my family. The truck is a 4 door crew cab with a heavy diesel engine up front. The rear wheels are duals. I have towed my 30 S/O without weight distribution and it was the most uncomfortable ride you could imagine. The trailer bounced the front end around like it was nothing. You dont want to be sipping hot chocolate while this is going on.. (ask my kid how she knows that). With the correct load bars and everything level and proper the ride is smooth and pleasurable. I would imagine each time the front end is bouncing there is a considerable amount of weight coming on and off those front wheels. I know that if I was in a curve situation (even on a big truck like this) the traction to those front wheels would be compromised at times. The rest of the story just comes down to the speeds you are traveling at and the Karma going on in your life. I vote for the weight distribution so I dont have to clean the hot chocolate off the carpet again.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
mike, interesting photos. It looks like the TV almost did a 180 since the roof in bashed a bit on the driver's side. In the photos the TV is back on its wheels and the trailer is on its side.

Do you know for a fact there was not a WD hitch or it was not properly adjusted?

A question for anyone experienced, analytical or both: because the connection between TV and trailer seems to me to be stronger (if that's the right word) with a WD hitch, if the trailer flips, is it more likely to take the TV over with it? Conversely, without a WD hitch, is it more likely the trailer would pop off the ball and the TV would stay on its wheels?

Gene