Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Greensboro , North Carolina
Which Is The Best Weight Distribution Hitch With Sway Control?

We just bought a 2007 28 Ft Classic and wondered what would be the best hitch to get other than the Hensley or ProPride. Because of the angle of our driveway, I'll have to remove the spring bars so the back of the trailer will come up and clear the driveway.

On our 25 Ft Safari, I had a BlueOx and I never could get the trailer to stop swaying at times. We would be driving down the interstate with little or no wind and in no traffic but the trailer rear end would start to sway back and forth. I'd have to tap the brake control to get it to stop. A real problem that I never could solve.

Yes, I understand the Hensley or ProPride would be the best choice but as I mentioned above, they simply will not work for me.

Here are the ones I've been looking at:

1) Reese Steadi-Flex
2) Equal-I-zer
3) Curt TruTrack
4) Husky Center Line

Which would you suggest or would you suggest one that I didn't list. All of these are 4 point sway control hitches.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
762x51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Hahaha...I feel you need to be wearing Explosive Ordnance Disposal suit to answer this one . Strong is the first one who responds to this one.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of 'help' and opinions on this question.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
If you had the Hensley could you back of the WD bars to clear the driveway?

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sounds like you need driveway ramps or axle lifts. Then pick the hitch YOU like.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If you had the Hensley could you back of the WD bars to clear the driveway?
Lowering the bars on the Hensley would probably make them drag and be damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Sounds like you need driveway ramps or axle lifts. Then pick the hitch YOU like.
I do use a 2x8 in the dip where the street and driveway meet which helps.
I don't want to raise the trailer and dropping the front looks like it will raise the back enough to clear thr driveway.

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Old 07-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If at all possible, check the situation with the driveway and the real trailer before making an absolute / final decision. Yes, I do realize that may be impossible. I have no idea how far the trailer is away from anything. I'm *not* suggesting you tow it a few hundred miles down the interstate just to find out. Ten miles at low speed is what I have in mind.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Just installed a Reese Steadi-Flex. Not completely set up yet, but easy, straight-forward installation and just some minor tweaks needed. The hold-up is, no choice of shanks and I can’t quite open tailgate all the way. I think I’ll like it a lot once that bug is worked out, but wish it was available without the shank.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I have been using the Reese StediFlex with the 1200 lb bars for nearly one year now; towing a 2018 FC 25FB. So far no sway issues and the towing stabilty on the road is great.....this after 12,000 miles of towing.

Recommend using a professional RV hitch installer do the work, and they can dial it in for your TV and Airstream. Purchase a Reese #12,000 ball for this hitch.

Because of the high grade friction pads, at low speeds under 5mph, i commonly hear some noise from the hitch bars.
It's normal for this type hitch design. The Reese Steadiflex is almost the very same design as the Equalizer hitch. Good luck with your hitch choice for your Airstream.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I have the Reese Strait-Line w/Dual Cam Sway Control. If it was stolen, I would replace it with exactly the same.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Ada , MICHIGAN
I also have the Reese Strait-Line w/Dual Cam Sway Control really works great! Just make sure you take time to get it adjusted right.
xtcbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I use the Husky and am very happy. Does eveything I want it to and the price is reasonable. Everyone on this forum has their own preference, most based on experience. You have to be comfortable with whatever you purchase, and if not happy, sell it and try another brand.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Thanks for the suggestions

I'd like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.

The trailer is coming with a Fastway E-2 weight-distribution hitch system which has a 2 point sway control system and I wonder if it will work more or less like the BlueOx did. It was also a 2 point system and I had problems with it wanting to sway at times.

Anyway, I'll of course use the E-2 hitch to get the trailer home and maybe it will work OK - time will tell. If it doesn't work OK then I'll probably go in the Reese Steadi-Flex direction.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Excellent handle....

If you need clearance, build ramps.. I can tell you how.. I built and used some for 4 years on our 34' 9800# Excella on our 20 inch, 30 degree deflection driveway... and an 'anti-sway' hitch...

I know you have already done every thing below... so.. Before you get on with a hitch discussion, your example of sway in your post opens questions for me... in no specific order...

- did you check the 'tongue weight' of the AS? Is it within the expected range? when empty? When loaded?

- What tires are on the AS?

- What condition of the bearings (check preload, bearing condition, etc).

- how do you 'load' the AS? load high or low (Low is best for CG.. low and close to center as in a motorcycle... and at least split longitudinaly.

- how about your TV.. have you made any suspension 'modifications'? Air bags, helper springs, etc?

- How do you load your TV.. ? is it within the design limits? Close to limits?

- What tires are you running on the AS? On the TV (see modifications above).

- How did the AS and TV 'set/sit' when the rig is fully loaded and prepped? Was AS 'bow' high or low or level? What is proper WD for your TV?

There was one fellow here who had a 'raised' (Jacked up) truck. There was no way that setup could be settled down.. the suspension was great for offload.. but at speed, towing a trailer.. the airflow, the directional adjustments when driving, etc, induced sway because the hitch point was so much below the chassis and axle.. just too much leverage... physics is physics is da law.... and a full moon just messes things up.

- I found my wheels were LOOSE on the axle! Turns out the wheel was so distorted at the lug nut seat that the lug was actually contacting the drum.. so the wheel never reached proper clamp load.. But my hitch would not let it sway.. even when off-roading on side of road in an evasive maneuver.

So, before you spend $$$ on a hitch which might or might not work properly... have you considered the above?

all the best.. Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I would change the driveway before giving up the Hensley.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2
Especially with the Classic heavyweight. 😂

I'd mod the driveway before abandoning the PPP. Realizing fully that non-users will likely not agree. 😳😏

Fastway e2... relies on friction to control sway, friction is not very consistent in some conditions, wet. Just my experience.
I also prefer the round tapered bars for a smother ride, just heavy enough to transfer the needed weight.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
I'd like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.

The trailer is coming with a Fastway E-2 weight-distribution hitch system which has a 2 point sway control system and I wonder if it will work more or less like the BlueOx did. It was also a 2 point system and I had problems with it wanting to sway at times.

Anyway, I'll of course use the E-2 hitch to get the trailer home and maybe it will work OK - time will tell. If it doesn't work OK then I'll probably go in the Reese Steadi-Flex direction.
Hi

Ok, so you have a way to get the trailer home without making a final decision. Next up is having two people who can take the trailer in. You probably want to see how it goes yourself. If there are clearance issues, you need to be out watching what actually is the situation. Stop / look / move /stop / look .... only works to a certain degree.

If your drive is like a lot of them, there is a bit of variation. I would certainly try a couple of passes to work out where the "worst case" happens to be. Obviously any touching is bad. Just how much clearance is "good" .... that's up to you. I'd suggest that fractions of an inch are .... errr ... a bit close.

It's easy to say "well the old one fit, this one should as well". Minor differences in the axle placement and more / less tongue weight distributed on the TV can make a noticeable difference.

Good Luck !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
[QUOTE=762x51;2135218]We just bought a 2007 28 Ft Classic and wondered what would be the best hitch to get other than the Hensley or ProPride. Because of the angle of our driveway, I'll have to remove the spring bars so the back of the trailer will come up and clear the driveway.

On our 25 Ft Safari, I had a BlueOx and I never could get the trailer to stop swaying at times. We would be driving down the interstate with little or no wind and in no traffic but the trailer rear end would start to sway back and forth. I'd have to tap the brake control to get it to stop. A real problem that I never could solve.

Yes, I understand the Hensley or ProPride would be the best choice but as I mentioned above, they simply will not work for me.

Here are the ones I've been looking at:

1) Reese Steadi-Flex
2) Equal-I-zer
3) Curt TruTrack
4) Husky Center Line

Which would you suggest or would you suggest one that I didn't list. All of these are 4 point sway control hitches.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.[/QUOTE

I would suggest you didn't have your BO set up correctly if you had sway issues. I have been using BO on two different trailers and never experienced any sway issues whatsoever.
Matter of fact on occasion I tow without hooking up the bars and never experience scary sway. Of course I don't drive as aggressively on those occasions usually keeping my speed at or bellow 60 mph. IMHO I belive this entire sway issue is overblown. Other then some minor buffeting by a passing semi, which BTW I don't consider sway there is no scary sway that I ever experienced without it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
The driveway will take some engineering to make right. Sorry to hear you had issues with the Blue Ox, used one for years and never had sway. None of these hitches etc. will work properly without real quality set up and attention to loading. I think you always have to go back to that!
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
The driveway will take some engineering to make right. Sorry to hear you had issues with the Blue Ox, used one for years and never had sway. None of these hitches etc. will work properly without real quality set up and attention to loading. I think you always have to go back to that!
x3 on the Blue Ox. I’ve never had even a hint of sway except when I had the trailer loaded with too much weight in the rear.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have the
  • eaz-lift sway control
  • eaz-lift hitch
  • eaz-lift eite 600 lb round bars
  • parkit360 5k force mover

be sure to get the hitch mounted, aligned and torque at a good de4laer
we use canam rv in London ON.

why, the hitch needs to be aligned so that its vertical when the tallier is balance
plus

the bolt setting and torque is beyond most home garage equipment

its not worth the risk to your family on these critical parts failing
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote