Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
This does bring a question to mind, if you do encounter excessive sway while driving at typical interstate speed; what are the immediate procedures any driver should do, to control that unexpected sway event?
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Apply trailer brakes and add TV throttle... when sway stops, release TV throttle gradually and continue using the trailer brake to decelerate. Ease off the trailer brake while monitoring the trailer behavior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
This does bring a question to mind, if you do encounter excessive sway while driving at typical interstate speed; what are the immediate procedures any driver should do, to control that unexpected sway event?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you back up with the TT tongue raised, beware that if one of the rear skids hits the drive way you will buckle that rear quarter panel. It doesn't take much up force to do that because the the floor gives when frame flexes up. Then the frame goes back down, but the floor and skin do not. There goes $6 or 7,000.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. I have a nice “beauty mark” from dragging a skid. $3500 minimum to fix it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
Not sure why you would have had the issue with the Blue Ox, unless you didn't have enough tension on the bars. Initially I had a little sway issue on my 28' Classic, but after talking with Dell at JD Sanders (Florida) and Blue Ox, I found out that I had the wrong torsion bars. Should have had 750# rather than 1,000#. If the hitch is set up correctly, there should be 1" - 2" sway in the bars. Can't help you with the drive way issue, but the reason I like the Blue Ox is that I don't have to remember to remove the anti-sway bar when I back up . . . cause there isn't one!
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Greensboro , North Carolina
The driveway issue hopefully will be solved with a small ramp - That's another issue...

Regarding the BlueOx hitch:

The BlueOx simply never did work OK for me. My son and I went through the set up several times, I had an "expert" check it out, and talked to BlueOx quite a few times. They, like me, could never figure out why I was having the problem with their hitch.

Attached is a photo of it's setup and the spring bars have a lot of bow which is what BlueOx wanted me to do so the pressure on the bar pivot would be great. Also, I have attached a photo of one of the CAT Scale weights. We never loaded much behind the rear axle so that didn't add to the problem.

We no longer have this truck and trailer so the BlueOx issue isn't one for me now. I'll be going in another direction...

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
762x51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
I usually don't weigh in on the threads in this section, however that shank looks really long and could be contributing to your problems, as it gives more leverage to "pivot" the truck on the rear axle. You generally want to keep the ball as close to the rear axle as possible, and this tow shank appears to be the opposite. Is it an optical illusion that the shank is bending before it enters the receiver?
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
I usually don't weigh in on the threads in this section, however that shank looks really long and could be contributing to your problems, as it gives more leverage to "pivot" the truck on the rear axle. You generally want to keep the ball as close to the rear axle as possible, and this tow shank appears to be the opposite. Is it an optical illusion that the shank is bending before it enters the receiver?
It's the shank that came from BlueOx and it wasn't bent.

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Old 07-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Equalizer
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Quote:
the shank is way too long! You are looking for trible my mate (;

the shorter the better. in the last photo, you can see that the ball is not vertical.

IMHO, take it to a proper well respected trailer dealer with the vehicle and a typical operating weight

get them to fully adjust and align the vehicle, bar, ball and ensure the trailer is level in travel and that you know how many chains links to use in normal operation.

when i did mine at CANAM, they removed the extra links. i only have one open link above my std operating position for the weight distribution bars.

i try to go to a CAT scale atleast once per season and get a three axle measurement
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I also noticed that shank looks quite a bit longer than the one on my BOSP. This is a photo taken the day I picked up the trailer... after going to the CAT scales I now take up one more link of chain than what's shown to return the steer axle weight to its original value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bosp_initial.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	318351  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalarry View Post
Not sure why you would have had the issue with the Blue Ox, unless you didn't have enough tension on the bars. Initially I had a little sway issue on my 28' Classic, but after talking with Dell at JD Sanders (Florida) and Blue Ox, I found out that I had the wrong torsion bars. Should have had 750# rather than 1,000#. If the hitch is set up correctly, there should be 1" - 2" sway in the bars. Can't help you with the drive way issue, but the reason I like the Blue Ox is that I don't have to remember to remove the anti-sway bar when I back up . . . cause there isn't one!
Who/what brand needs to have the WD bars removed when they BU? 😳
Maybe the friction pad? 18 Seasons with the Safari, dual pads, never had to remove them backing up. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Who/what brand needs to have the WD bars removed when they BU? 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
It's not about the hitch itself, it's about the angle of the driveway apparently. OP needs to raise the rear bumper (by dropping the front) to back into a steep driveway.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #34

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Best Weight Distribution Hitch With Sway Control

I have towed my Flying Cloud 27FB for 3 years using the Equalizer 4-Point Sway Control Weight Distribution Hitch and never experienced a problem. Towed with a 2015 Ford F150 Platinum 4X4.
StreamBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
x3 on the Blue Ox. I’ve never had even a hint of sway except when I had the trailer loaded with too much weight in the rear.

And not to sell the Hensley designs, but this is a great video to show how they work. Note the 4-point connection (trapezoid) at the hitch and the (stupid) use of too much weight in the back and how it handles like a single unit.

https://youtu.be/o1MZoskr46Q
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Guys,

The problem I had with the BlueOx is long over as I sold the trailer and hitch about 1 1/2 years ago.

Now I'm looking for a new hitch that hopefully I will not have any problem with. I cannot afford a Hensley or ProPride so I'll be sticking with one that has 4 point sway control - probably the Reese.

I think making a ramp to smooth out the street to driveway dip may solve the problem or maybe I'll also need to go to 16" tires that will raise the trailer about 1.5".

Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
The Equalizer, works very well, eliminates sway and does an excellent job distributing weight.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
I love my Reese Straight Line w/Dual-cam!
seawaatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 AM   #39
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Which Is The Best Weight Distribution Hitch With Sway Control?

E4....works for us. Did need to get Equalizer custom shank 7” drop for 2010 Tahoe LTZ v 2018Tahoe RST...for towing 2017 FC23FB....how does it distribute and prevent sway? ...drawing - TV v TT forces...I think...maybe or not? Key is to make sure those bars are loaded... with correct shank size/setting...and to get all level. And if forces interacting of TV are separate from TT then it’s really an “E3 hitch”...three points? Click image for larger version

Name:	9AEF6BBC-348A-45E2-9DCC-4AFC709BC354.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	318523
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I am a fan of the Equalizer. Since PP and HA are out, you have some good options to choose from.

I like my hitch because it is easy to hook and unhook and has served me well for over 40K miles on my current trailer. That said, I pull a 25 and as I understand things, the 28 has a heavier tongue weight. I can't speak for your system, only mine.

You might want to ask to hear from folks who actually tow a 28. Might make a lot of difference.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote