Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Where to fine tune PP?

Hi,

I will be buying a new ProPride hitch and I read that Canam is fine tuning PP (or Hensley) hitches for their customers - shortening / bending the stinger. I am located in California, so traveling to Canam is not a real option...

Do you know any places in California (or neighboring states), where they could fine tune the hitch for me? Or this could be done without the car, so I could ship only the stinger?

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
The ProPride is fully adjustable. Here is a quick overview. Sometimes they use Propride (PP) stinged mount holes to adjust height to match AS trailer hitch/stinger to TV (tow vehicle), sometimes the stinger will be tilted up or down in order to adjust weight distribution by preload.

That is a simplification...

Setup is crucial. Sean from PP will give you lots of help. Also there is an extensive discussion on the forum... I think this will help:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Thank you, cwf. Thanks for the link - I will have something to read for a couple of hours

I understand that some people are shortening the stinger, meaning they are cutting some part of the stinger so the trailer tongue is closer to receiver. Maybe my understanding is incorrect.

Also, I understand that some are bending the stinger - this is nothing to do with the adjustments that the hitch gives by default. Again, maybe I am wrong...
Old 04-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think bending the stinger allows the hitch head and w.d. bars to tilt down more so the w.d. bars contribute to better handling.

Here's an article from Andrew T. explaining it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Installing_Hitch_by_Andy_Thomspon.pdf (562.8 KB, 93 views)

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:37 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have always been of the skule of thot "if someone wants to bend or shorten your "stinger", to run away!!"... And tell grow up...so, NO means NO....? 😱

In case of the PP (P3/ProPride), design, as in most designs, to modify it, will introduce Problems...denial of warranty and possibly dangerous consequences. Also, a deep dark ACME Road Runner style Black hole will appear and suck in all light, matter, reason, friendly banter and introduce Non-useful discussion and a string of Government lawyers from the Department of Hitches outside your door...therefore "length" is standard. If you shorten, you will probably not be able to open truck tailgate and/or minimize leverage necessary to transfer proper weight distribution and anti-sway features.

Now, here is the quick of it regarding "bending" of stinger. On many WD (weight distribution) hitches, includng PP, 'tilting" of the top of the "hitch head" mounted, to the hitch, toward the rear (aft),,."... Not "bent".... is done by adding shims at a specific place to, (as mentioned in the above document) provide correct "preload" position of the WD bars.. There are lengthy reasons this is done and discussed in the above link and documents.

For the PP, specific adjustments are detailed in the installation instructions...'follow and smile... Or run away. Only trained technicians should mess with your PP.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Andy from CanAm responded and said that they sometimes create welded shanks which are not adjustable, but they should reduce the rear overhang / are smaller and lighter to store.

Do you think that this is something worth pursuing?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Would be for me.

Too easy to get into trouble on the road. What makes the rig better handling is worth the expense, IMO.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Thanks, I will be working with Andy to get this done.