Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #101
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman
...My WD hitch has a friction control bar on it. I assume that lessens the amount of sway that I will encounter.....
i don't pretend to appreciate ANYTHING about hitch options but...

many of the experts suggest friction 'control' is the least desirable...

affected by rain/snow, slows corrective actions (good or bad) and adjustment is truly black magic....

y.m.m.v.

Quote:
... What is your TV/Trailer combination?Cheers, Doug
it's all here bro, in words, numbers and pictures tOO!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...use-20853.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ers-17984.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

everything but inseam and shoe size...

but somethings are best not made public...

except AT forum rallies...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
2air,

Oh yeah, you're a heavy rig going down the road! I can understand the HAHA for you.

If you add much more to those weights you'll be needing a Peterbilt. ;-)

Cheers,

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Hensley Hitch

Its my understanding that the Strut bars hold the orange assembly rigid. That was a given. I didn't actually have a pair of "strut " bars in the model but held the "orange part" rigid with the "frame" of the "trailer".
The only negative I could discern is if the trailer brakes failed completly and you jammed on the brakes of the tow vehicle. That could be exciting, but no less exciting than if the trailer brakes failed using the "standard" hitch under hard braking.
Again, I am still learning. When I was braking a little hard I had a problem where the unit was pulling to the left. Turns out I didn't have the trailer brakes set severe enough.
I noticed that you didn't weigh the individual axles of the trailer.
That is important to know because that will give you the weight on the individual axles/tires. Remember that the axles are unable to equalize among them selves due to the nature of the beast but must be adjusted by you with the ball height.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #104
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I have never been pregnant, but I have a pretty good idea how that works
but you don't know how that feels

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:33 AM   #105
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Haha Set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
Its my understanding that the Strut bars hold the orange assembly rigid. That was a given. I didn't actually have a pair of "strut " bars in the model but held the "orange part" rigid with the "frame" of the "trailer".
The only negative I could discern is if the trailer brakes failed completly and you jammed on the brakes of the tow vehicle. That could be exciting, but no less exciting than if the trailer brakes failed using the "standard" hitch under hard braking.
Again, I am still learning. When I was braking a little hard I had a problem where the unit was pulling to the left. Turns out I didn't have the trailer brakes set severe enough.
Beginner
Just took the haha on it's shakedown cruize two weeks ago. I have

access to a large vacant parking lot where we set everything up before

leaving. Part of the set-up was checking "the push" if any from the AS.

Disconnect TV, run several 20mph hard stops, if the push is there,

you WILL feel it. Speed not really a factor, it's the quickness of the stop.

Did about four such stops, made adj. they felt good, the rig was stable,

locked the bars down, connect tv, ck. brakes. Inspected the strut bars

three times in the trip, stopped straight as an............. well you know.

WHEN YOU GET THEM RIGHT DON'T OVERTIGHTEN

ADJUST BOTH SIDES EQUALLY TO MAINTAIN ALIGNMENT

Hooked up several times before leaving, just to get a little confidence.

All adjustments seemed consistant between hook-ups. we'll see if they

remain so after Spring ck-up.

STREAM HAPPY
Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #106
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
from what I read here even with a well setup rig but with regular hitch most experience the push-pull feel being passed by a 18 wheels... with haha it does not happen anymore...
that's it.
So I don't know how are your hw but where I am driving there is always tons of 18 wheels, week days and week end and the haha makes the drive much better.
Before the haha I never experienced any sway or not enough to be felt but the damn push-pull yes.
BTW may be the regular hitch design is just poor and may be that design is one of the reason the sway happen.
Because so far all the hitch we talk about have an anti-sway system... and it seems that they also/only cure the symptom and not the cause.
The only big difference with the haha is that the anti-sway is good enough to completely eliminate the symptom.
Or may be I didn't get it and the other hitch cure the cause of the sway... and in that case the haha, curing only the symptom, is way too much expensive.

my blog

Old 10-21-2007, 01:53 AM   #107
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Actually it's easily interchangeable.
Because you can purchase a set of frame bracket to install on another trailer and you only need to remove two screws that hold the system to the frame brackets and unitch the system and put it back to the other trailer... that's still some job... but your tv is the helper.
tell me how it is to do it with another brand... of course you'll tell me that for the price of the other brand you can buy another hitch... and your right.

Regarding the fear to have your haha stolen... if really so you better be afraid to have your trailer stolen...
the haha can be lockup... with the same device that you would use to lock up your coupler...
and there is a poor chance that somebody with bad intention would carry the needed pin to hitch up a haha...
and if the device that lock up your coupler or the haha is weak enough to be broken and according to the fact that the needed haha pin is not a common piece to carry your trailer is easier to go with... because if the lockup system is broken the only thing that has to be done to leave with your trailer is to hitch it up... with the haha the bad guy will have to remove everything to get regularly hitch... so to picture that put two trailers side by side one with haha one without wich one you think the bad guy will choose...

Quote:
Some of my concerns have been stated: With my WD hitch, which was set up by my dealer, I hauled the 25ft AS through the mountains of NC, VA, and WV and it felt rock solid behind me. I can't imagine anything being that much better than my $500 hitch with friction sway bar. My AS is stored in secured lot, but I wonder if you could lock up the HAHA? I'd hate to see it stolen. Another concern for the money spent. I can only use it on one trailer? If I decided to pick up a vintage down the road, it's not easily interchangeable.

Cheers,

Doug

my blog

Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #108
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Secure Hensley

[quote=yakman My AS is stored in secured lot, but I wonder if you could lock up the HAHA? I'd hate to see it stolen. Another concern for the money spent. I can only use it on one trailer? If I decided to pick up a vintage down the road, it's not easily interchangeable.

Cheers,

Doug[/quote]

Just got the Hensley

Just installed the Hensley

Just did the first shakedown test with the Hensley

Just winterized the trailer

Just removed Hensley

My sweet wife thinks I'm JUST crazy!!

Best way to secure for storage.....take it off!

It's really not a big deal to remove for winter storage.

All hardware except the frame brackets are easily removed.

Took down the main unit with a floorjack, but one buddy with a beer will

will work just fine.

Took longer to get it back in the box right, than it did to it take off.

Anyone else out there "TAKE IT OFF FOR WINTER?" It's not that crazy..

is it?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Anyone else out there "TAKE IT OFF FOR WINTER?"
When in storage, all I do is cover the Hensley, electric tongue jack and battery with a $10 BBQ cover to keep the rain, snow and sun off it. It helps with security by hiding it from prying eyes (the big bulge of the electric tongue jack makes it look like just another hitch) also keeps that beautiful Allis Chalmers orange paint job looking spiffy!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Garfield/Robert,

When installing the HAHA, did you run into any problems with the existing WD brackets or holes that are already drilled for the other hitch? Are you able to leave them on or would they have to be removed? Or better yet, can you use the same holes.. that would be ideal, but doubtful.

Speaking of holes being drilled.. beware that your 7 pin electrical cable runs along the inside of that A frame up there. Unfortunately my tech found it on my WD hitch install and it shorted at the dealer. Thankfully there and not 500 miles down the road. I lost my right rear light via a blown fuse on the TV.

Cheers,

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #111
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
...I noticed that you didn't weigh the individual axles of the trailer...
is this directed to me?

at most cat scale sites, this isn't possible,

regardless, i've not only weighed each individual axle,

but each individual wheel/tire point...

all 7 trailer ground contact points have been weighed....

as well as the 4 tv points.

i'm a freak for details.

specific data like this overwhelms some folks...

or gets buried in better threads, while new threads with less info proliferate.

and besides we gotta hang onto SOME stuff for a cold winter day of posting...

stealing the haha?

the fact is having a haha on, actually PREVENTED/interrupted the theft of my trailer...

again i'm saving THAT story 4 another time...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #112
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Garfield/Robert,

When installing the HAHA, did you run into any problems with the existing WD brackets or holes that are already drilled for the other hitch? Are you able to leave them on or would they have to be removed? Or better yet, can you use the same holes.. that would be ideal, but doubtful.

Speaking of holes being drilled.. beware that your 7 pin electrical cable runs along the inside of that A frame up there. Unfortunately my tech found it on my WD hitch install and it shorted at the dealer. Thankfully there and not 500 miles down the road. I lost my right rear light via a blown fuse on the TV.

Cheers,

Doug
The hitch we took off had a friction sway control mounted on

the curbside a-frame. Well forward of the haha bracket. As you can see I

just re-installed the bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA 002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	47779   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	47780  

Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Garfield/Robert,

Cheers,

Doug
Hi Doug; Sorry, I have no idea! We haven't taken possession of our Safari yet. As part of the deal, the dealer has to transfer the Hensley from our Trail Cruiser to the Safari, which currently has a EZ-Lift hitch. I expect the dealer will remove all of the existing EZ-Lift hardware (I certainly don't want anything left on).

I installed the Hensley on my then-new Trail Cruiser myself and had no problems, so I'm not expecting there'll be a problem with the Safari. (The dealer, Can-Am, specializes in Airstreams and Hensleys). The Hensley only requires that you drill two small holes per bracket and you can drill from the top or sides of the bracket, so I doubt there would be a conflict with any existing holes. The only problems that can crop up on some trailers is the location of the brackets may conflict with battery or tank frame supports, in which case they have to be moved.

Don't forget that in most cases you have to lengthen the safety chains, break-away cable and umbilical too.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

Our patent system is totally broken. When the original Hensley patent was issued, it was already in bad shape. The original patent has expired, and I am wondering why no one has jumped into the market.

Then I tried to read the claims on the new 2005 Hensley patent. What a joke! Totally incomprehensible! No one is going to challenge that patent because it is written is such a way that it would take a patent lawyer a year ($$$) to understand it. .....
Typical of patent lawyers, they have a language all their own. I have my name on several patents, and I can't understand my own after the patent lawyers were through with it!

No devious scheming on Hensley's part I am sure.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #115
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
On my patents, I write everything but the Claims. The Claims are the only things in a patent that matter besides the filing date or issue date. The rest is just window dressing and jello.

I think each claim should be limited to no more than one sentence of less than 200 words. The claim I copied above (Claim No. 13 of I don't remember) had over one thousand words, in a single sentence.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote