Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari
Cedar Park , Texas
What should i use

First time AIRSTREAM owner here so we will have some question for the pros ,our tow vehicle is a 3500/QC/LB/4X4/CTD/DUALLY/AUTO Our new airstream is 25F/B so, the question is what type of hitch would i need or would a ball mount with the correct drop work,it would be great to put some weight on the truck axle for a little bit better ride .or should i consider some sort of equalizer/anti swayset up.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!!

Welcome and congrats on acquiring Airstream's most popular model trailer...

As a new member, you are required to learn to use the "Search" feature not offered to unregistered "Visitors"...

Click the tab in upper blue bar, and use search words like "Hitch Recommend" in the space, and ... Ta Dahhh More links to more messages than you can stand...

After that, if you come back here, A/S and the Forum in general strongly recommends both weight Distributing hitches and anti-sway for trailers over 22' in length and 5,000 pounds...

Even though your truck is plenty substantial to tow your unit up any mountain in North America, there are advantages to distributing the weight onto front axle of truck and having a mechanism to limit wind or road or truck-induced swaying...

Part of the fun here is getting passionate and committed responses which are in conflict, and you then get to sort through and make judgments for yourself... I'd like to begin the festivities by suggesting Reese Equalizer W/D as starting point.. Hensley Arrow (at $3K+) is the very top end of price and performance) and drop hitch bar with large ball on it is low end... Enjoy the learning process!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Dually hitch requirements.

If that quad cab has a large box with the long wheelbase, you really can get by without weight distribution or sway control. I drag my 26 foot 1963 Overlander without one and have no difficulty. When I drag the 31 foot '77 I use the Reese with dual cams. It works well for that one also. I used to use a long wheelbase Ford van and friction control was required for the 26 footer. The load rating on the dually is so high having a little extra weight on the rear just helps smooth the ride out. The large engine sitting over the front wheels is lightened up by putting some weight behind the rear wheels but I can not say I have noticed any bad effects from it. Sway with the dually seems to be non-existant on my rigs.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Weight on front axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
If that quad cab has a large box with the long wheelbase, you really can get by without weight distribution or sway control. I drag my 26 foot 1963 Overlander without one and have no difficulty. When I drag the 31 foot '77 I use the Reese with dual cams. It works well for that one also. I used to use a long wheelbase Ford van and friction control was required for the 26 footer. The load rating on the dually is so high having a little extra weight on the rear just helps smooth the ride out. The large engine sitting over the front wheels is lightened up by putting some weight behind the rear wheels but I can not say I have noticed any bad effects from it. Sway with the dually seems to be non-existant on my rigs.
I agree with dwightdi - but with one added comment. I found that, by actual scale weights, the front axle on my 2003 3500 GMC dually, with the diesel, 4WD, and the rest of the goodies, doesn't have much reserve capacity. I've mentioned that several times in past forum topics as a "cautionary" note. That said, I do have 1,000 lb rated equalizer bars - but I load them fairly lightly, only transferring an almost insignificant load to the front axle. My normal hitch weight is just under 1,000 lbs - which is right at the "dead load" rating of the hitch. I don't use any type of sway control and I've never experienced even a hint of sway. For the record, and once again, the loaded weights of the AS and the TV are almost identical at 8,400 lbs each.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote