Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Question what is this on the hitch

We recently bought a 76 Sovereign 31 ft which needs a bit of work. We have found answers to many of our questions just going through the different areas of the forum.

On our hitch there is a round thing with a cover (which is broken). It looks like it is to open or close something, but not sure what. There doesn't seem to be any wires to it. Can anybody tell me what it may be?

I have attached a picture

thanks

Loretta

The inside cover (which I have only 3/4) has the following stamped on the inside. EESE EVELALL ELKHART IND on the top
and on the bottom it has OPEN and CLOSED with arrows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	4995  
travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Could be the break away switch (saftey device that applies trailer brakes should the A/S come lose from the tow vehicle). They are required by law in almost every state. It works from the trailer 12V and should have two wires going to it
Do a search on break away switch for more info.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
level

it is a level, 2 way. one bubble for side to side. one bubble for front to back.

i think you can still get them if you want another.

john
Old 02-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
what is this on the hitch

Greetings Loretta!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

I was recently at Ace Fogdall RV having some repairs completed on my Argosy and noted that they had a level similar to the damaged unit on your coach. The only places where I have seen these levels recently has been at Airstream dealerships. While the part was once fairly commonly used within the industry, it seems like it is only stocked in the accessory departments of Airstream dealerships that I have visited recently. You can try checking the catalog at Ace Fogdall RV:

Ace Fogdall RV, Inc. - - on-line Parts and Accessories Catalog

If you don't see the level in the catalog, an E-Mail to Florence and Christy in the parts department will verify its availability and cost.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
From what I see I also agree that it used to be a level. I had one of those on my frame when I first brought it home. If you don’t already have a good level I’d recommend getting one. I purchased a real nice one that attaches to the front on the coach which has a large steel ball in some liquid that indicates the side to side level. It also has another level bubble that will indicate the level from front to back. It works great once it has been installed and calibrated. You can get a good level at most any RV store.

The other part however, if you’re not aware of it would be a clamp for dual sway control and is also used for weight distribution. The weight distribution bars cradle in the lower part of what you see and then the horseshoe part of it to the left will swing in an up-ward position to support the chain links on the weight distribution bars. You probably have another clamp similar on the other side. I mention this because looking at the picture it doesn’t appear to have been used at all for a long time due to the surface rust showing on it.

Here is a link on hitches which shows some good pictures!

Welcome to the forums!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:51 PM   #6

1976 31' Sovereign
Question

Thanks for the info - if this was a level would it actually have a lever inside which you could move to open & close?

Loretta
travel is offline   Reply With Quote