Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Rochester , Michigan
Question What hitch to purchase?

I see many brands and am looking for advice, we have a 2015 GMC 2500 Sierra and will be picking up our 28 International next week.
westphalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The hitch a very hot topic here on these Forums. I won't try to tell you what hitch system to purchase.

What I will tell you is what we have used and are very happy with. We have been Airstreaming for ten years now. We have almost 1,800 nights in our Airstreams, and have towed them nearly 150,000 miles. We tow a 25FB that weighs over 7,000#. Our tow vehicles are a 3/4 ton Suburban and a one ton Silverado.

We have always used a Hensley Arrow Hitch System. They are expensive but they work exactly as advertised. We have never has an uneasy moment from trailer sway.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
What Brian said!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ProPride hitch system is also a Hensley design. Worth considering as it is more recent a design and more adjustable. Doesn't hurt that it is less expensive and does not require drilling holes into the A frame. Tons of threads on the forums about it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After three hitches we have the ProPride as well, performs as advertised. Sway and semi bow wave push no longer happen.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started with a Hensley Arrow on our 2013 25FB as the ProPride was not much in discussion in October of 2012. When the 25FB was traded for the 31' Classic, I upgraded to the ProPride (Jim Hensley's second design) for the 2014 31' Classic and put the Hensley Arrow in storage. That Hensley Arrow is now installed on our 2015 23D.

While the design concept is similar, the implementation is very different between the two installations. I find the ProPride is somewhat easier to connect and disconnect because off the mechanism for the weight distribution bars,

It helps a great deal that both the 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins and the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel tow vehicles have rear view cameras.

I was able to install the ProPride by myself on the Classic. There is no drilling into the frame of the trailer with the ProPride installation.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - it's hard to provide unbiased advice since there are too many x-factors that go in to a decision like this and those are mostly personal (budget constraints, type of camping/driving you expect to do, weight parameters - tongue, axels, payload, etc.). And besides - whatever a person is using is often the advice you'll get. 😃

All that said - my #1 criteria was preventing sway (since I purchased the truck and trailer brand new, cost was not going to be high on my list of considerations - that wouldn't always be the case).

My preference was the PullRite which unfortunately is no longer manufactured for our trucks (I have a 2013 GM 2500 diesel - I tried to get them to make me one &#128515. That was a genius design - an arc under the bed of the truck with an arm that pivoted from the axle around the arc to your trailer. Pretty much an upside down 5th wheel.

Since that wasn't an option, my choices were friction devices that react to sway or virtual pivot projection (VPP) devices that prevent sway. BlueOx also claims to prevent (not just react to) sway. I'm not sure how but I'm not arguing with their claims. For friction, I was really tempted to look at the Andersen - bit of a firestorm of reactions to that one and after much more heat than light on that argument, I've concluded it would struggle moving enough weight to my front axle but the light weight of the hitch itself and that innovative collar/brake lining set up for friction was tempting to me.

At the end of the day I went with the ProPride (Hensley VPP design). Since PullRite wasn't an option, VPP became the main criteria so next was deciding on the Hensley Arrow or the ProPride. Could have gone with either and I assume would have been just as happy. I liked a few of the features of the ProPride design better - especially no drilling in to the a-frame.

That was my mental calculation. Your mileage can, will and should vary.

Good luck and enjoy the rig!!
(Oh - and get a ProPride! 😃 - sorry - it's obligatory to pitch what you use in a hitch thread 😃😃&#128515
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What hitch to purchase?

The best available for eliminating sway on a modern vehicle is a Hensley designed hitch.

Due to their fundamental and unique design these are simply the best anti-sway devices available.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I need to say that l don't own a Hensley or propride, though I might someday. They are the most expensive and heaviest hitches out there. That said they are the most effective against sway. You should also look at the various threads on this forum discussing the inherent difficulty with hitching and unhitching this style hitch, particularly on uneven ground. I gather one eventually figures it out or learns to live with the issue. Just something else to consider.

I gather both are effective enough in regards to weight redistribution, the primary purpose of a WD hitch. Sway is function speed. Tow at a sensible speed, especially downhill, will do more to increase your safety than a mechanical unit. Airstreams are good towing trailers, and I suppose more forgiving in regards to sway that most SOB's. I imaging in the most extreme and unusual circumstances a Hensley or Propride will possibly save the day.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Opinions here frankly are usually very biased and therefore need to be taken with a whole shaker of salt. Everyone loves what they have and use even if according to others it is a piece of crap that using will get you killed your first trip out. I have used both the Andersen system and the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Had teething pains with both but once proper set up both offered 100% satisfaction.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
Cajun Traveler

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
Greetings from Louisiana

When we purchased our 2014 International the dealership suggested the Blue Ox. knowing nothing about hitches and bumper pulls coming from a 5th wheel we went with their suggestions. Love it, Love it, Love it. Easy to attach and detach. I have friends who have other brands and none are as easy to work with as my Blue Ox.

Happy Camping !
Billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Reese

We pull our 30' 2001 Excella with our 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel using a Reese anti-way system. Love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	258684  
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Dunn , North Carolina
Billyg6...did the exact same thing when we bought out AS
twrenn9097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #14

2015 30' Classic
2005 25' Safari
Traverse City , Michigan
Many hitches

I began towing my 30' Flying Cloud with a Yukon XL and a Reece Dual Cam system. I was not happy. I upgraded to an F-150 and it was better still with the Dual Cam but it was loud in the parks creeping as I turned and backed in to a sight. So one last time I upgraded to a GMC 2500 HD and a Pro Pride Hitch. Now we're talking. But keep in mind that hooking up and un hooking on uneven ground is tough. I camp at a lot of State Parks in Michigan and my trailer is stored next to my house on a sharp turn. I no longer liked the Pro Pride/Hensley idea. Finally with my new Classic 30' and GMC 2500 I installed an Equalizer Weight distribution hitch. Dude, I am happy. A ball is the easiest thing to hook up to, and I have never had a sway issue. Yes, the Pro Pride/Hensley make the trailer a part of your truck, but I don't feel any less secure with my new system and no creeks, no problem hooking up on uneven ground, and no problem hooking up on a sharp turn. I also like the parallel look the bars create with my frame unlike many other weight distribution hitches. Hope this helps.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We had the choice of the Equilizer or the Blue Ox Sway Pro when we purchased our AS. We chose the Blue Ox because it provides a flexible TV to TT connection. We believe the choice was a good one and the design is appropriate for the task.

Given that you have a larger trailer and the standard american tow vehicle solution, the Hensley/Propride hitches represent the logical no consequence choice. You can always sell it and restart if you find yourself in the unlikely position of not embracing your decision.

Read all the threads about how to install, adjust, align, disconnect and connect. You will find that a complete Hensley/Propride background will serve you well.

What ever hitch you go with, only choose one in which you have complete confidence. Towing is hard enough without hitch doubt eroding the experience.

Good Luck. Travel Safe. Enjoy the miles and make some smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I too use the blue ox.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We also like our reese duel cam for our 31' as behind our 2500 dodge with 6.7.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
On a side note: The Blue Ox people are awesome. I have bent both U bolt chain attachments with my new 23' FC going over slight road dips. Those pesky bars get in the way. After cinching up one link I can now enter most gas stations without dragging. I may go with a friction bar setup in the future after I boondock this summer. Now, back to the BO customer service. I sent an email request to see if I could get replcement U bolts. Never did it occur to me that I should ask for freebees. They responded by dropping 2 new ones in the mail saying the 2 year warranty covers defects. The only defect here was me. Thanks BO. Maybe I'll hang on.
P.S. I'm replacing the 14" GYMs this summer after 7000 mi in 1 year. Hopefully the 15s will give me some extra clearance.
"Go forth and enjoy." Longboard6 (just now)
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
I have no doubt that the Hensley or ProPride hitches do an excellent job. All I can say is that thousands of miles into pulling our Eddie Bauer 26'FB with a Chevy 2500 diesel 4WD, with an Equalizer, we have never had a single problem with sway. We installed the pads and keep the recommended joints greased and only have noise when we are making full-stop turns on uneven slopes. We have pulled in 40mph cross winds with semi's passing us one after another and in about every slope and wind condition imaginable with never a hint of sway. While there are going to be some irate folks about this, we commonly drive at 70 mph and when the situation demands, get up to 75 for passing. Again, no sway, ever!

The hitch, while not light-weight, is quite reasonable for a one-person install (I bought a hitch-handle to carry it), and the hitching procedure is simple. Equalizer does not require perfect alignment and can be done on extremely uneven ground. In some cases, hitching on the ball on the rough ground and then pulling to a level spot to install the bars works well too.

One suggestion I would make is to get 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires. I have never seen or been able to find a record of an Airstream sway-induced accident, but I have both witnessed and heard of blown tires damaging and creating white-knuckle moments. The Michelins that come with the Eddie Bauer are rated for one heck of a lot more weight than we are carrying and for speeds up to 90 mph. In all my checking I have yet to hear of a Michelin 16" LT failing if it is properly inflated and not overloaded.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
What Brian said!
The Hensley looks too heavy and complicated. Attach a motor to it and you wouldn't need a tow vehicle.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote