Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
just a few cents- when we bought our 25' classic, the TV was a long wheelbase F250 diesel- heavy! We towed 7000 miles with the EZ-Lift(Cheap hitch) that came with the trailer, without the sway bar. NEVER experienced sway, regardless of wind, grade, traffic, or speed. So that being said, a lot has to do with the weight and wheelbase of the TV. I have recently changed to a '16 F150 which is considerably lighter, but same wheelbase, so after research, opted for the Blue Ox. I feel it will be sufficient, but one minor reason is I may want to use the truck's pro trailer backup system, and the Hensley hitch will not work with that.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #58
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
IMHO the Hensley hitch is a contraption that would come out of a Government design shop with unlimited resources and money available without oversight.
I would consider the best design as one that gets the job done with the least amount of effort and resources used up.
And there are many more affordable trailers than an Airstream...

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In my life experience to date, Airstream trailers are a lot like boats and airplanes in that the initial cost just opens the hole down which lots of money will flow. It seems the more expensive the vehicle, the bigger the hole as the parts and labor rates reflect the acquisition cost.

I remember back in the 60s, one could buy plugs, points and condenser for the air cooled flat four VW engine and they came in a blue box. The exact same parts for the same engine in a Porsche came in a red box at several multlples of the VW part cost. There was also a significant difference in the labor rate.

In that same time period, Mercedes had a side mirror that was common to several different models and the price varied depending on the target installation.

So when one acquired an Airstream, marketed as the best there is, parts and labor rates are more expensive and the mechanics, in my experience, often are not trained well enough to change a screw in light bulb.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It's been my policy lately to stay out of these hitch war threads for all the obvious reasons (like they all work and each owner will swear that his is the best, etc.), however in an effort to try and help the original poster, given your parameters, especially the off road clearance requirement, I would suggest you take a look at the Eas-Lift Recurve hitch.

An example is here: http://cdn.opentip.com/Automotive/Ea...tm_content=NWH

Video here:
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Gotta love the inverted bars! That makes so much sense!!!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
With these devices it is form and design follow function.

The idea is to project the pivot point in front of the rear axle, the design accomplishes this is the most simple and practical manner.

I have towed a lot, the difference in the way my trailer tows, especially over 60 mph, is profound. I bought mine used for $1,200, but after using it, I would pay full price.

It adds greatly to my joy in driving. I like being able to be comfortable driving with one hand, and I like not having to be obsessed with knowing when a truck is going to suddenly overtake me.

Quote:
IMHO the Hensley hitch is a contraption that would come out of a Government design shop with unlimited resources and money available without oversight.

I would consider the best design as one that gets the job done with the least amount of effort and resources used up.

Reading the process of handling the Hensley above and its cost reassures my decision why not to purchase one.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #63
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I really like the simplicity of the Recurve Andy T. Is this the design that you were alluding to when I was grumbling about my current hitch? Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

Reading the process of handling the Hensley above and its cost reassures my decision why not to purchase one.

You've already spent more on the several you've had versus having had the best design type in the first place.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Don't' forget that I have an almost new Propride on the classifieds here!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Along with weight distribution, it includes sway control, and has the most ground clearance of all the WD hitches I have seen.
Uses friction sway control. Friction sway control does not project the pivot point nor does is prevent sway in the first place. All it does is try to minimize it, and friction material is being worn down during every turn.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2007 30' Classic
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
reno , Nevada
OK, Let me put my 2 cents in. I have had most all hitches in my A/S years.....Reese Dual Cam is a great hitch, Hensley is good but expensive and very difficult to hook to when parked uneven.....Right now I have a Anderson. Take the time to look into this hitch. I towed my 30"Classic across the U.S. and back across Canada without one bit of sway. Really not much difference than the Hensley. You can back up to a 90 degree angle without any problems and makes no metal on metal noise. Simple and easy installation and connect , disconnect.The price is right also...around $500.
Every one loves there brand of hitch, but take the time to look into the Anderson

Happy Trails

John
Old 04-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomondnv View Post
OK, Let me put my 2 cents in. I have had most all hitches in my A/S years.....Reese Dual Cam is a great hitch, Hensley is good but expensive and very difficult to hook to when parked uneven.....Right now I have a Anderson. Take the time to look into this hitch. I towed my 30"Classic across the U.S. and back across Canada without one bit of sway. Really not much difference than the Hensley. You can back up to a 90 degree angle without any problems and makes no metal on metal noise. Simple and easy installation and connect , disconnect.The price is right also...around $500.
Every one loves there brand of hitch, but take the time to look into the Anderson

Happy Trails

John
There have been huge debates about the Andersen on the Forum; search on Andersen.

There were two primary issues why the Andersen wasn't suitable for all. The first was that it was deemed to be incompatible with the hitch coupler supplied on a lot of Airstreams as it had a tendency to damage the "shark fin" lock mechanism. The second issue was with the amount of weight the Andersen could adequately shift forward; for many tow vehicle/trailer combinations it wasn't doing a good enough weight distributing job.

That said, a new coupler and a reasonably beefy tow vehicle seemed to make Andersen users happy, for the most part.

So, it's good for some and not so good for others.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Happy Trails

John
John I will also put my 2 cents in. I also experimented with a couple of hitches
on being the Anderson. It is by far the worst one out there. To achieve a decent WD, because its geometry, you have to really stress out the entire mechanism. As to sway control it doesn't have any. All that brake shoe principle does is slow down the beginning of the sway, however when the sway begins it has no counter force to push the trailer back to center.
I did everything Anderson recommended including replacing the coupler. Lived with it for one full season and finally after a harrowing ride through Kansas I got rid of it.
I would not recommend it to anyone pulling an AS longer than a Bambi.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #70

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:

Happy Trails

John

Here is a perfect example of differing opinions, I thought the dual cam was the biggest POS ever! Multiple attempts by myself and several pros could never get rid of a constant hunting feeling going down the road. And that was with a F350! An equalizer works fine for me now.
Your opinion may differ...

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"