Old 03-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Love my Blue Ox. Better than the previous other brand I had which creaked a lot.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Rochester , Michigan
Thank you everyone. We appreciate it, disregard my double post. We are new to this.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Andy Thompson set us up with a very basic Eaz-Lift hitch, as he generally does for his customers, even though he sells Hensleys, too.
Can Am is setting us up this spring, and we'll be getting the Eaz-Lift hitch as well. I wondered about a Hensley or ProPride, but was advised that the Eaz-Lift would work fine for us. Glad to hear that it works well for you, MrUKToad, as our set up will be similar.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
As I said - many posters who probably have never had a Hensley or PP, posting BS which adds nothing to the discussion but negativity, & does nothing to help the OP nor other readers coming along later looking for guidance.

This type of post is useless!

Try instead to add a useful & helpful comment which explains something - preferably what you have yourself, it's pro's & cons, & what you like about your choice, it's own weight & cost, etc.!

In fact - so long as your TV's hitch rating is what's actually on the tongue of the trailer - or less than the max., it really doesn't matter what the weight of the hitch is, & the WD function distributes that amongst all axles of the TV & Trailer anyway.

The weight of the hitch unit itself - & anything else on the A-frame & at the front half of the trailer (both as built & loading) - is/are only a valid limiting factor if they all combined + the trailer's loading puts one over your allowed hitch weight, & Lucy was able to do that with her rocks in the trailer anyway!

Otherwise, one could make the same lame "too heavy" comment about going for double 40# LP tanks!

PS - what "looks too heavy" is nonsense, but The Hensley & PP are actually quite simple - despite frank's "looks" comment, & the jacks are far more simple to operate than any of the other means of tensioning the spring bars - you just wind the nut at the top of the jacks up o down until you get the desired WD setting as determined with any WD hitch at the TV wheels being level as per unladen with the trailer/hitch, & wind them all the way down when unhitching.

If one finds that too complicated & has difficulty using a simple ratchet wrench (provided with the hitch BTW), winder wrench as used for the stabilizer jacks on many trailers, or a cordless drill with the socket to wind the jacks, then perhaps they need a different hobby than trailering!?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Rather harsh and judgemental of the opinions and mechanical abilities of others.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What hitch to purchase?

Here is my opinion, if a person never tows over 60 mph, any sway control or even no sway control will do fine.

If a person is going to tow at posted speed limits nothing currently available will touch the stability of a Hensley designed hitch. They not only stop sway absolutely, they make towing a pleasure. It makes my trailer tow like it is on a fifth wheel. It totally impressed me.

Is the hitch heavy? Yep!

Does the weight matter? Not really. The heavy part stays on the trailer. The stinger is all a person handles in daily use, and it isn't that heavy.

This November my son borrowed a trailer that had a Blue Ox on it. The November before he used my Hensley equipped trailer.

He said there is no comparison.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is no comparison. I've been towing since 1973 and family had this trailer type going back ten years before that. Dual Cam was the thing until the mid 90s when the Hensley came along.

It's easy to crack the whip with any other hitch and have the trailer get sideways. Can't do it with a Hensley. I tried. 55-mph violent swerves from shoulder to median and back, multiple times, throttle on, after I had one installed. Might as well try to lose your shadow. That's with a one ton and a 35' trailer.

Follow another rig with a conventional hitch and the trailer is always moving around. With a Hensley, it can't.

The bigger the rig, the more beneficial it is.

Money shouldn't be a consideration. If one can afford an RV and afford to travel, then . . . .
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I figure if the Airstream is marketed as the best of the travel trailers, I would put the best hitch I could find on the trailer. All my reading here on the forum pointed to the Hensley Arrow starting in September 2012.

When we traded the 2013 25FB in on a 2014 31'Classic, the conversation was extolling the virtues of the second generation Jim Hensley design called the ProPride and it was less expensive than my Hensley Arrow.

So, I still use both systems and they do the job for us. The original Hensley Arrow is now attached to the 2015 23D and the ProPride is on the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Rochester , Michigan
Thanks

Think I am going to get a ProPride. Talked to Shawn at ProPride so heading up there this week.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
You will find that he stands behind his product, and will answer phone calls with questions personally.

The customer service and attention is one of many reasons I bought a ProPride.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I had bought new I would have bought a ProPride.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
San Jose , California
You'll run the decision back and forth for hours, if not days..

They're all great hitching systems. I have a Blue Ox and am very happy with it.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sean can stand behind his quality product, whereas John Deere typically does not stand behind their manure spreaders.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I have tried a few different hitches and am now using a Pro Pride. It works much better for my setup than anything else I tried. The main reason I like it is because it makes they whole rig very stable at interstate speeds.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
What hitch to purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Sean can stand behind his quality product, whereas John Deere typically does not stand behind their manure spreaders.

Where is the 'like' button. 😄

Yep. I love my ProPride as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote