Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We had the choice of the Equilizer or the Blue Ox Sway Pro when we purchased our AS. We chose the Blue Ox because it provides a flexible TV to TT connection. We believe the choice was a good one and the design is appropriate for the task.

Given that you have a larger trailer and the standard american tow vehicle solution, the Hensley/Propride hitches represent the logical no consequence choice. You can always sell it and restart if you find yourself in the unlikely position of not embracing your decision.

Read all the threads about how to install, adjust, align, disconnect and connect. You will find that a complete Hensley/Propride background will serve you well.

What ever hitch you go with, only choose one in which you have complete confidence. Towing is hard enough without hitch doubt eroding the experience.

Good Luck. Travel Safe. Enjoy the miles and make some smiles. Pat

Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I too use the blue ox.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We also like our reese duel cam for our 31' as behind our 2500 dodge with 6.7.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
On a side note: The Blue Ox people are awesome. I have bent both U bolt chain attachments with my new 23' FC going over slight road dips. Those pesky bars get in the way. After cinching up one link I can now enter most gas stations without dragging. I may go with a friction bar setup in the future after I boondock this summer. Now, back to the BO customer service. I sent an email request to see if I could get replcement U bolts. Never did it occur to me that I should ask for freebees. They responded by dropping 2 new ones in the mail saying the 2 year warranty covers defects. The only defect here was me. Thanks BO. Maybe I'll hang on.
P.S. I'm replacing the 14" GYMs this summer after 7000 mi in 1 year. Hopefully the 15s will give me some extra clearance.
"Go forth and enjoy." Longboard6 (just now)
Old 03-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
I have no doubt that the Hensley or ProPride hitches do an excellent job. All I can say is that thousands of miles into pulling our Eddie Bauer 26'FB with a Chevy 2500 diesel 4WD, with an Equalizer, we have never had a single problem with sway. We installed the pads and keep the recommended joints greased and only have noise when we are making full-stop turns on uneven slopes. We have pulled in 40mph cross winds with semi's passing us one after another and in about every slope and wind condition imaginable with never a hint of sway. While there are going to be some irate folks about this, we commonly drive at 70 mph and when the situation demands, get up to 75 for passing. Again, no sway, ever!

The hitch, while not light-weight, is quite reasonable for a one-person install (I bought a hitch-handle to carry it), and the hitching procedure is simple. Equalizer does not require perfect alignment and can be done on extremely uneven ground. In some cases, hitching on the ball on the rough ground and then pulling to a level spot to install the bars works well too.

One suggestion I would make is to get 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires. I have never seen or been able to find a record of an Airstream sway-induced accident, but I have both witnessed and heard of blown tires damaging and creating white-knuckle moments. The Michelins that come with the Eddie Bauer are rated for one heck of a lot more weight than we are carrying and for speeds up to 90 mph. In all my checking I have yet to hear of a Michelin 16" LT failing if it is properly inflated and not overloaded.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
What Brian said!
The Hensley looks too heavy and complicated. Attach a motor to it and you wouldn't need a tow vehicle.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I have had a 2007, 25ft. Safari with a 2007, Cummings 2500 Ram, and now a 2014, 27ft. Flying Cloud with 2015 F250 w. 6.7 Diesel. I towed the Safari 55,000 miles, and now have 26,000 miles on the 2015. Our main driving days are on the Interstates doing 65 to 70 mph. We have experience ALL kinds of weather and traffic. We can't be more pleased than we are with our Equalizer.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
For those of us burning through our budgets faster than the speed of sound 😉 It would be very helpful to have a general price point for these hitch systems (installed or DIY). Our '64 Overlander weighed <4K# dry when new. Too early to know what it will weigh after a full custom redo, but much less than most our your trailers that are new/newer. We don't need to double the toungue weight in the name of WD I'd think. 😳 Looking for an affordable AS hitch that is easy to hook and unhook and allows backing up without disconnecting the AS function. Thanks!!
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
For those of us burning through our budgets faster than the speed of sound 😉 It would be very helpful to have a general price point for these hitch systems (installed or DIY). Our '64 Overlander weighed <4K# dry when new. Too early to know what it will weigh after a full custom redo, but much less than most our your trailers that are new/newer. We don't need to double the toungue weight in the name of WD I'd think. 😳 Looking for an affordable AS hitch that is easy to hook and unhook and allows backing up without disconnecting the AS function. Thanks!!
BO/Reese/Equalizer hitches are about $600-800 depending on shank length. The ProPride is $2300 and the Hensley lists I believe for $3200 but they have deals and refurbs available.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphalia View Post
I see many brands and am looking for advice, we have a 2015 GMC 2500 Sierra and will be picking up our 28 International next week.
All I can say is that we like our Hensley Cub for our little 20' Avion T20 vintage kin - but you'll need their heavier duty Arrow for your larger 28' AS (ProPride "PP" is a similar design).

Advantages:
1. Absolutely eliminates sway!
2. The entire hitch stays on the trailer A-frame - no messy head & spring bars to dis-mount/re-mount every time you park.
3. Easy & unlimited spring bar adjustment with jacks using the ratchet wrench - & even easier with a cordless drill & socket/adapter.
4. Tighter turning radius with hitch due to design.
5. Easier towing - you won't know it's back there - even at speed, so you need to remember that you're towing.
6. You can install it yourself if adept at all, & with help to lift the head.
7. Lifetime Warranty.

Plus-or-Minus Depending on you:
1. Hitching a bit different with a "Stinger" vs. Tow Bar with ball to coupler (Hensley/PP hitch head mounts with a ball on it to your A-frame's coupler). On uneven ground, it can take some getting used to aligning the "receiver" in the hitch head in all 3-axis in order to get the Stinger into the hole while backing up to hitch. Use of back-up camera is a big help, so get one if your TV isn't so equipped. I did it my first hitch up in the driveway etc. thereafter when level (even with the yellow ball thingies), but sometimes have to play with the alignment when there is a odd angle to the TV & space.

Disadvantages:
1. More expensive than the others, but it really is superior no sway solution - & hey! .... you just dropped $80k+ for a brand new AS & this is relatively cheap insurance which you can transfer to any future trailer with your lifetime warranty (Hensley has been around since the 1960's, PP for about 10-ish IIRC).
2. Adds about 190 lbs. to the tongue's hitch wt. (HW) from the unit itself for trailers up to 10,000# GVTW & 1000# HW (160# +/- for the Cub good for trailers up to 6000# & 600# HW). PP is similar - others mentioned by folks are less wt.

The choice & check or charge are ultimately yours - despite all the arguing you'll hear on here about hitches!

PS - For those looking for pricing references - the Hensley Arrow & PP (just one size/rating comparable to the Arrow) were noted in the prior post - but I've seen new Arrows on sale for mid-to-high-$2000 range near to PP & used/refurb low-to-mid$2000; & the smaller Hensley Cub goes for about $1300 - 2000 - depending upon whether with chains ("Swift Cub") or jacks for the spring bars - & whether full price new, deal/sale, used/refurb, & you can get Hensley to do a lifetime warranty transfer to the new owner of a hitch - so check with Hensley (maybe PP too?).

PSS - If your screen name has anything to do with those little VW camper vans - welcome from a Fellow Westy owner! We're the original owners of our Dove Blue/Grey `88 Westy.

Good Luck & Happy Trails!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #25
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
The Hensley looks too heavy and complicated. Attach a motor to it and you wouldn't need a tow vehicle.
As I said - many posters who probably have never had a Hensley or PP, posting BS which adds nothing to the discussion but negativity, & does nothing to help the OP nor other readers coming along later looking for guidance.

This type of post is useless!

Try instead to add a useful & helpful comment which explains something - preferably what you have yourself, it's pro's & cons, & what you like about your choice, it's own weight & cost, etc.!

In fact - so long as your TV's hitch rating is what's actually on the tongue of the trailer - or less than the max., it really doesn't matter what the weight of the hitch is, & the WD function distributes that amongst all axles of the TV & Trailer anyway.

The weight of the hitch unit itself - & anything else on the A-frame & at the front half of the trailer (both as built & loading) - is/are only a valid limiting factor if they all combined + the trailer's loading puts one over your allowed hitch weight, & Lucy was able to do that with her rocks in the trailer anyway!

Otherwise, one could make the same lame "too heavy" comment about going for double 40# LP tanks!

PS - what "looks too heavy" is nonsense, but The Hensley & PP are actually quite simple - despite frank's "looks" comment, & the jacks are far more simple to operate than any of the other means of tensioning the spring bars - you just wind the nut at the top of the jacks up o down until you get the desired WD setting as determined with any WD hitch at the TV wheels being level as per unladen with the trailer/hitch, & wind them all the way down when unhitching.

If one finds that too complicated & has difficulty using a simple ratchet wrench (provided with the hitch BTW), winder wrench as used for the stabilizer jacks on many trailers, or a cordless drill with the socket to wind the jacks, then perhaps they need a different hobby than trailering!?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
At the recommendation of our local AS dealer, I bought a Blue Ox (over the Internet for $600), installed it myself in less than 30 minutes, & it has done everything it was supposed & I have wanted it to do.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Andy Thompson set us up with a very basic Eaz-Lift hitch, as he generally does for his customers, even though he sells Hensleys, too.

The Eaz-Lift has done it's job for us and I have no complaints, but I do understand the technical merits of the PPP design and with a different tow vehicle I would almost certainly opt for a Pro-Pride. We are, though, scrabbling to keep our tongue weight down and whilst the Eaz-Lift is doing its job, I'll stick with it for that reason alone.

I'm certain most other weight distributing hitches work when properly set up, and my only reservation is with the Andersen; not because it doesn't work, just that it doesn't work well enough for my kind of setup.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
We were happy with our Blue Ox towing a 20' FC. When we traded up to a 30' Classic, we continued with the same Blue Ox equipment. The only change we needed was to use 1500# sway bars to replace the 1000# bars we used for the 20 footer. Still easy to hitch/unhitch, and good sway control if your hitch/trailer/payload weights are in spec and properly distributed.