Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Oh boy. Ask and ye shall receive.

I greatly appreciate all of this information. Haven't made a decision yet, and won't have to for about at least a couple of weeks. A lot to think about.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
And the winner is . . .

Today I purchased the Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch.

Everyone's input was helpful.

It seems to be at the lower end of the more expensive options cost-wise. That was a factor.

I did buy just the ball from U-haul to take the trailer to the DMV and then the shop for initial work (new axle being at the top of my list). In doing this it was a temporary hitch--not meant to be my solution. The fit in my receiver was just a bit loose. I am fairly sure that as I drove across town I could feel that looseness. It made pulling feel a bit clunky, something I don't recall from my previous Airstream.

It will likely be 2-3 weeks before I am pulling again. My original axle was removed today. It was welded on so getting it off was an operation.

Another thing in Andersen's favor it is manufactured just up the road from me in Idaho. I kind of liked that.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahredrock View Post
Today I purchased the Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch.

Everyone's input was helpful.

It seems to be at the lower end of the more expensive options cost-wise. That was a factor.

I did buy just the ball from U-haul to take the trailer to the DMV and then the shop for initial work (new axle being at the top of my list). In doing this it was a temporary hitch--not meant to be my solution. The fit in my receiver was just a bit loose. I am fairly sure that as I drove across town I could feel that looseness. It made pulling feel a bit clunky, something I don't recall from my previous Airstream.

It will likely be 2-3 weeks before I am pulling again. My original axle was removed today. It was welded on so getting it off was an operation.

Another thing in Andersen's favor it is manufactured just up the road from me in Idaho. I kind of liked that.
If you got the 2" ball & you're AS has the 2-5/8" coupler (measure or check markings on the couple while in the shop - or ask shop to check it for you), then remove & clean-up the ball, put back in packaging & take it back to U-Haul to exchange it for the proper 2-5/8" size ball - especially if their sales person recco'd the 2" size.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
It wasn't the ball that was loose, it was the square end that fits in the receiver. It was jiggling just a bit. Mine is definitely a two inch ball.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #25
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Andersen

PKI
You may want to research the Andersen a little more. The anti sway is performed by the chains and the attachment plate, not friction. Similar in theory to Hensley and Propride.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The Andersen does use friction to accomplish anti sway.
The ball pivots with the trailer tongue via the chains and plate.
The ball mechanism is a tapered fitting with brake material inside the taper.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #27
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
All three discussed (Ansersen, Propride and Hensley) use the "parallelogram" geometry to stop sway, each slightly different in application. The friction part of the Andersen is in addition to the parallelogram anti sway, but is not the primary anti-sway. If there were no friction on the Andersen, it would still work.
This is just my opinion, and I am just suggesting a litte more research for anyone looking at anti sway friction based only solutions.
Many hitches will work fine on flat roads in clear weather.
How about, cold, rainy, windy, downhill decreasing radius turn on an interstate (I do have someplace specifically in mind) with TWO 18 wheelers passing on the outside at least the speed limit, maybe more, giving a double wind blast in succession, and drifting into your lane. Will your WD hitch and anti sway protect you or fail when needed?
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote