Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Charles County , Missouri
What do you do with your Hensley during the winter?

I bought a used Hensley this summer and have left it on the trailer at all times. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to take it off and store it inside. Of coarse it is freezing outside and its snowing. I do have the front part covered with plastic. But that's it. Is there any harm in leaving it hooked up at all time's? Or should I store it when not in use?
dmcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I keep the whole trailer inside but realize that won't work for everyone.

The pivots are pretty well sealed and I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it out.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Mine stays on my trailer all the time, which is stored outside. I do bungie a BBQ cover over the Hensley, propane tanks and battery...partly to hide it from prying eyes and partly to protect the paint from premature fading. Otherwise there's no need to remove it, except for lubing the hitch ball periodically.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Otherwise there's no need to remove it, except for lubing the hitch ball periodically.
And if you're feeling brave, you can install a small grease fitting on the coupler of the trailer. All you would have to do then is pump a couple of squirts of grease in periodically, and take the Hensley down occasionally to inspect the ball.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Mine stays on all the time, but I live in California and use my trailer all year. I was covering the hitch with a BBQ cover during the rainy season but stopped as moisture would get in and be retained inside the cover. I found it better to just leave it out in the elements.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I take the hitch off and store it in the garage.
I purchased a used HAHA a few years ago. When I disassembled the hitch for a rebuild/repaint there was a lot of moisture in the grease and pitted bearings other wise the hitch looked like it would have performed just fine.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I take the hitch off and store it in the garage.
I purchased a used HAHA a few years ago. When I disassembled the hitch for a rebuild/repaint there was a lot of moisture in the grease and pitted bearings other wise the hitch looked like it would have performed just fine.
I do the same. I built a self for all my hitch stuff. and store it in a cabinet in the garage. Just used some scrap sq tube they were tossing in the trash at work. Leave the frame brackets on the trailer but put some oil on them.

Mine also had moisture in it. Im guessing its from condensation but not sure. I also sealed around the grease caps with a little clear caulking. Summer, I have been just leaving it. I was covering it but it caused more bad than good. Might end up doing some kind of hard cover but probably just leave it out.
mikeb9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Taking it off every fall for winter storage is the only time it and all its components get a real dose of TLC - stripped, degreased, checked, cleaned, waxed and polished - gave it a complete facelift two years ago - now its fire engine red and polishes up just great.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote